Americans going on an Australian cruise

bugbuddybee

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Hi Calicakes. Sinbad's comments are right on the money, particularly the weather. I lived in Cairns for 15 years and February is hot and humid. Think Miami in September and that will give you an idea. It also can be wet but should be tapering off in February. BTW, I never experienced a full blown cyclone (was on the fringes a couple of times) in those 15 years so 'occasional' is a fair comment.

Thank you.  I'm from FL( live in SoCal now) so am familiar with heat and humidity. 

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's almost impossible to do independent excursions to the Reef on a GBR cruise, the timings just don't work out. The only real option is to take a ship excursion.

February is the height of summer. It's the hottest and most humid time of year, but apart from the very occasional cyclone is nothing to put you off.

Its very frustrating.  We're on Celebrity Edge on Feb 25th from Sydney and all of the reef excursions are basically sold out.  There is a sale going on now too.  I have one  ship excursion booked for  Cairns. ( its an overnight port)

7 hours ago, calicakes said:

Its very frustrating.  We're on Celebrity Edge on Feb 25th from Sydney and all of the reef excursions are basically sold out.  There is a sale going on now too.  I have one  ship excursion booked for  Cairns. ( its an overnight port)

As you are overnighting in Cairns, you actually could possibly do a private trip to the reef. I see you are anchoring off Yorkey's Knob at 10am on the 29th February and leave at 8pm on the 1st March. As Celebrity Edge is too big to dock in Cairns, you will tender into Yorkey's Knob. This link may help -Yorkey's Knob Tourist Information Centre

Looking at your cruise schedule, you are also tendering at Port Douglas which is a great place to get to the reef from. Port Douglas Cruise Ship Tours

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, gdlamberth said:

One more point that may be in play depending on when you want to cruise out of Australia.  

CURRENTLY!!  as best I can tell, the Federal Gov't of Australia does NOT require either COVID Testing or Vaccinations to enter the country

HOWEVER! boarding a cruise ship in an Australian port requires both current vaccinations and a negative COVID test 24hrs (I think) prior to boarding the cruise ship.  

Unsure of when this policy (being invoked by all of the Australian States (as I understand)) may change.

PLEASE, if someone has more current information on this issue post here and I will apologize for posting incorrect information.

Thanks,

Greg

Protocols have been removed for the Australian cruise ships.

they have removed all requirements for covid vaccinations, masks etc effective August 28th 2023.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 7:45 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

It's almost impossible to do independent excursions to the Reef on a GBR cruise, the timings just don't work out. The only real option is to take a ship excursion.

February is the height of summer. It's the hottest and most humid time of year, but apart from the very occasional cyclone is nothing to put you off.

We were recently on an Oceania Australia cruise.   I booked snorkeling at GBR through a company called Great Adventures.  Picked that one because check in time wasn't until 9:30.  We docked around 8.  Easy walk from cruise terminal to check in (leave terminal,  turn right., follow walkway about 10 min). They provided everything.   Took about 1.5 hrs to get out there. Very rough.  Many seasick.  Cost half of what the cruiseline charged. Memorable day.

14 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We were recently on an Oceania Australia cruise.   I booked snorkeling at GBR through a company called Great Adventures.  Picked that one because check in time wasn't until 9:30.  We docked around 8.  Easy walk from cruise terminal to check in (leave terminal,  turn right., follow walkway about 10 min). They provided everything.   Took about 1.5 hrs to get out there. Very rough.  Many seasick.  Cost half of what the cruiseline charged. Memorable day.

All of our port stops ( for the reef) are tendered.  The timings are just not going to work with private excursions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 7:45 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

DW and I have really enjoyed our time on the Great Barrier Reef (snorkeling) and used to consider returning to do some diving (getting too old for that these days).  But we speny several days in Cairns, from where we took several different day tours.  Tours out to the reef are generally full day, since it is quite a distance (often over 20 miles) out to where they have the decent sites (including very large floating facilities).   I do not think any of the tours, we saw in Cairns would be suitable for a port day and it probably is not much different in Port Douglas.

Our suggestion to cruisers, who embark/debark in Sydney is to consider spending some time in Australia and doing some of the things that are difficult/impossible to do on a short cruise visit.  Americans also need to keep in mind that Australia is about the same size as the USA, so a longer visit makes sense.

Hank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

From previous experience,  (also pre Covid), some cruise lines would hold some spots open on all tours for guests that did not have access to computers to pre-book. You were able to book these once guests were onboard. I had one tour I had my heart set on and it was sold out prior to sailing.  Once I boarded and the shore excursion desk opened, I was able to book onboard. I was told by the staff that they usually hold a few spots back. I have done this on Celebrity and Princess cruises. Also keep trying closer to your sail date in case  someone has to cancel.