Does Anyone have an Excursion Review for PRIVATE WHITSUNDAYS AND SNORKEL CHARTER Independent Operator?

Swann5

As this is a tendered port, we are trying to find an excursion that fits the bill without a huge cost.  We are not divers or huge snorkelling fans, but definitely want to take in the beauty, the once in a lifetime opportunity and do some snorkelling.  We're looking at independent excursions but having a hard time finding any reviews. has anyone done this excursion? Thoughts? Advice? It's our first time down under.

Thanks in advance. 

Dianne

On 8/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, Swann5 said:

As this is a tendered port, we are trying to find an excursion that fits the bill without a huge cost.  We are not divers or huge snorkelling fans, but definitely want to take in the beauty, the once in a lifetime opportunity and do some snorkelling.  We're looking at independent excursions but having a hard time finding any reviews. has anyone done this excursion? Thoughts? Advice? It's our first time down under.

Thanks in advance. 

Dianne

Which Port? 

For the Whitsundays, I assume you are speaking about Airlie Beach? It is almost impossible to do a private tour to the reef, because of the time restrictions - the only way to really do it is on a ship's excursion as the tour boats pick you up from the ship and for private excursions, you have to tender in and out which can be a long process. 

We are looking at a 3rd party excursion provider that says they pick up at the ship as we know the tendering process can be a very long process. Just wondering if anyone has experience doing the Airlie Beach excursion through a 3rd party provider that also picked up at the ship. The cost the ship excursion is double what the 3rd party is charging with very solid guarantees if the the ship doesn't make the anchorage, or they fail to return you to the ship on time. Is it too good to be true? Downfall is they want to charge you for the full capacity and leave it up to you to find others to fill to capacity and split costs; not a fan of that system, but the cruise line price for the same excursion is hard to swallow.

5 hours ago, Swann5 said:

We are looking at a 3rd party excursion provider that says they pick up at the ship as we know the tendering process can be a very long process. Just wondering if anyone has experience doing the Airlie Beach excursion through a 3rd party provider that also picked up at the ship. The cost the ship excursion is double what the 3rd party is charging with very solid guarantees if the the ship doesn't make the anchorage, or they fail to return you to the ship on time. Is it too good to be true? Downfall is they want to charge you for the full capacity and leave it up to you to find others to fill to capacity and split costs; not a fan of that system, but the cruise line price for the same excursion is hard to swallow.

I would avoid this like the plague. The Ship excursion is the safest way to go to the GBR from the ship as they leave before tendering begins. It takes 75 to 90 minutes to get to GBR ,henceforth the priority. You answer to the question is YES to good to be true.

• Like 1

Royal and Celebrity have been using Shute Harbour to moor instead of the Port of Airlie,which is about 20 minutes South of Airlie. Most GBR boats leave between 7 and 8.30am and return between 4 and 5pm. Be aware of your ships arrival and departure time,most people find that 3rd party excursions are to tight. The same applies to Cairns and Port Douglas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in February.  I agree that it is likely impossible to do a non-ship tour.  We almost never do ship tours, but after much research I came to the conclusion that because of tendering concerns and time that only ship tours would really work.  

All of our tours we booked through the ship were excellent, although the one at Port Douglas was not exactly what we wanted because they had cancelled the tour we wanted, then reinstated it, but too late for us to rebook it.  The day was fine though. 

Yeah, it's disappointing but due to time constraints probably just what you have to do.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Swann5 said:

I stand corrected, the 3rd party does pick up at the pier, not the ship. More research will be needed to figure out something to do in this port.

We are on your cruise.  Have you figured anything out?  I was looking at the cruise excursion options and the snorkel trip from Airlie is sold out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 7:17 PM, calicakes said:

We are on your cruise.  Have you figured anything out?  I was looking at the cruise excursion options and the snorkel trip from Airlie is sold out. 

My husband booked us through the cruise line quite awhile ago as there were such limited options. Keep checking with  Celebrity as they may release more or have cancellations. On board the ship you can get placed on a waitlist.

Dianne

• 2 months later...

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this tour through the third party that is advertised in Airlie Beach.  How was your timing getting off of the tenders? How was it getting back especially if the tenders do not bring you to a dock in Airlie beach and have to get south of town.  

9 minutes ago, mauimary said:

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this tour through the third party that is advertised in Airlie Beach.  How was your timing getting off of the tenders? How was it getting back especially if the tenders do not bring you to a dock in Airlie beach and have to get south of town.  

Do you mean a snorkelling excursion? It is not possible to do a snorkelling excursion privately at Airlie Beach as these tours do no fit in with the time you are there. They leave to early and arrive back too late.

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Do you mean a snorkelling excursion? It is not possible to do a snorkelling excursion privately at Airlie Beach as these tours do no fit in with the time you are there. They leave to early and arrive back too late.

Actually, the cruise that I was supposed to be on( Feb 25, Celebrity Edge) but had to cancel because I broke my ankle had a company come out of the woodwork and offer us a private excursion( FB group).about 2 weeks before the cruise.   I guess he realized that they didn't want to lose out on 6k.  He required 32 people and he adjusted the timing of the tour to work with the tender.  It was Red Cat adventures.  I would join your FB roll call and see if the company joins as well. 

Just now, calicakes said:

Actually, the cruise that I was supposed to be on( Feb 25, Celebrity Edge) but had to cancel because I broke my ankle had a company come out of the woodwork and offer us a private excursion( FB group).about 2 weeks before the cruise.   I guess he realized that they didn't want to lose out on 6k.  He required 32 people and he adjusted the timing of the tour to work with the tender.  It was Red Cat adventures.  I would join your FB roll call and see if the company joins as well. 

There is one similar to this one. Sounds like the same sort of deal.  We do private excursions a lot but this one makes us nervous.  Someone on our roll call has listed it and they are looking for 38.  Would love to hear how it all worked out. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mauimary said:

There is one similar to this one. Sounds like the same sort of deal.  We do private excursions a lot but this one makes us nervous.  Someone on our roll call has listed it and they are looking for 38.  Would love to hear how it all worked out. 

Well, as painful as it was, I followed the FB ro  Although, the weather wasn't that great. The photos were amazing.  I was so sad to have missed it. 

Edited by calicakes

8 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm not the person asking, just using my experience as an answer.

46 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Well, as painful as it was, I followed the FB ro  Although, the weather wasn't that great. The photos were amazing.  I was so sad to have missed it. 

I would have been very disappointed too. A similar thing happened a few years back to me and we had to cancel a week before we left when I ended up in surgery and we had to cancel our Greek Cruise!  At least we had insurance. 

Sounds like it worked out for the FB group. 

13 hours ago, mauimary said:

I would have been very disappointed too. A similar thing happened a few years back to me and we had to cancel a week before we left when I ended up in surgery and we had to cancel our Greek Cruise!  At least we had insurance. 

Sounds like it worked out for the FB group. 

We have insurance!!