Is a suite really a suite?

I've never cruised in a suite before. When I look at the layouts for some of the suites (the smaller ones), they don't look like what I would consider a suite. When I think of a suite, I think of a suite in a hotel, which typically has 2 or more distinct rooms, separated by doors and walls.

I'm sure suites are very nice, and one day I'll try one, but I was just wondering about the terminology.

Thanks,

Steve

You may define suite any way you like, but a cruise ship is not a hotel. A suite is the term used for larger, more "luxurious" accommodations.

Only the Royal Suite and the Royal Family Suite have "separate" rooms.

The JS isn't a suite at all - just a larger cabin. On some ships, this means a much larger bathroom and closet, also, but not all.

The GS is quite large, but still just one room, but with an enormous bathroom.

The Owner's Suite gets even larger, but still not two separate rooms.

Merion Mom's correct. However, starting with the Grand Suite, a curtain closes off the bedroom section from the living room.

The Owners Suite has a living room, a dining area, and again the bedroom is closed off of the rest of the cabin by a curtain. It does allow one to sleep while the other reads. The main thing that you pay for when upgrading to a suite is the space.

Rick

On the Explorer, the bedroom and living room were seperated by a real door. (I think it was an OS) The bath was super huge, with seperate tub, shower, toilet and bidet! Also, a marble entrance foyer and wet bar! And, if that wasn't enough, a big screen TV! (No, I didn't stay in it, but our tablemates did and gave us the tour!) They had been upgraded from a JS. And as far as suites in hotels go, in Vegas, most suites aren't two actual rooms, but spaces divided by railings, or stairs. (ie: Venetian, The Hotel at Mandalay, etc...)

I've never cruised in a suite before. When I look at the layouts for some of the suites (the smaller ones), they don't look like what I would consider a suite. When I think of a suite, I think of a suite in a hotel, which typically has 2 or more distinct rooms, separated by doors and walls.

I'm sure suites are very nice, and one day I'll try one, but I was just wondering about the terminology.

Thanks,

Steve

Unless you're in an RS/OS, think Courtyard/Hampton suites not Hyatt/Ritz suites.

By definition, a suite is a series of connected, related rooms. The cruise lines -- I suppose in an attempt to make the rooms sound more luxurious -- are using the term incorrectly; however, they are not alone in their attempt to make more money by manipulating language:

Pick up one of those Homes & Lands booklets at the grocery store, or do an online search for new houses . . . take a look at the upscale houses. You'll see that many of them describe impressive "master suites" -- in this case, they mean a connected bedroom and bathroom. If we accept that a bathroom "counts" as a room, then even an inside stateroom is a suite!

In truth, a Junior Suite isn't a suite at all -- it's just a larger bedroom. I don't know exactly which staterooms have a separate living room, but those are the rooms that are TRUE suites. As in all things, it's buyer beware -- read the definitions and know what you're getting.

A suite on a cruise ship is not always a suite and sometimes, the exxageration is forgiveable but calling Junior Suites anything but larger balcony rooms is not reasonable, in my opinion. You get a scooch more space and early boarding but you certainly don't get a suite by even Days Inn's definition.

So far we have cruised in a Junior Suite and a Grand Suite and there is definite differences between the 2. Most recently we sailed in a GS - this was a "larger" suite than the JS, but believe it or not - less storage efficient! On the AOS the GS has a bar area with mirrored closets behind it - if you consider the "useable" floor space minus the bar area, there wasn't a whole lot of difference in size from the JS. Please don't get me wrong, the GS was great, but when you consider the actual "liveable" space...........didn't seem worth the extra $$. There is indeed a privacy curtain that spans the entire width of the bedroom area, that was a definite plus!

Some have said the JS isn't really a "suite" - I can't really disagree with that

statement. Having said that, the extra square footage vs a D1 cabin is worth it for our family of 3.

A true "suite" in my opinion should have 2 distinct rooms - a living area and a bedroom area - so I'm not sure the GS is even a real "suite" either?

Archived