Excursion refund question

smokeykat

Has anyone ever received a refund back to their credit card after cancelling an excursion that you booked through the NCL website? Is it easy to get refunded if you change your mind before the cruise?

I know on RCCL its very easy to cancel a booked excursion before the cruise leaves. Is NCL easy also?

Thanks

Very easy.  Just call the number for the Excursion Department (it is on your Shore Excursion Confirmation) and cancel.  Your refund will go back to the credit card you used to book the excursion within 5 to 10 business days.  The time limit for canceling an excursion is 48 hours before you are due to arrive in the port for which the excursion is booked, so you can cancel an excursion even after you board, depending on timing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeykat said:

Has anyone ever received a refund back to their credit card after cancelling an excursion that you booked through the NCL website? Is it easy to get refunded if you change your mind before the cruise?

I know on RCCL its very easy to cancel a booked excursion before the cruise leaves. Is NCL easy also?

Thanks

All it takes is a phone call to cancel an excursion and get a refund. If within 48 hours of sailing it is given as a refundable OBC, else it goes back to the method of payment used.

We did not cancel the excursion, rather NCL cancelled the port. I asked for a refund since the e-mail sent by NCL cancelling the port said if you had an excursion, the money paid would go to OBC. It was only after I kept arguing with the rep on the phone did she go to some other department and came back and said since it was more than 48 hours until sailing, I would get the credit back to my card. She said it could take up to 7-10 business days, but IIRC, the credit was there in 2 or 3 days.

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

All it takes is a phone call to cancel an excursion and get a refund. If within 48 hours of sailing it is given as a refundable OBC, else it goes back to the method of payment used.

If it goes to refundable OBC how do you get it if you do not use it?

2 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

You go to guest services and ask for it. BTW, there have been posts from past passengers who have said they have been called to guest services before disembarking because they will not allow you off the ship if they owe you money.

1 hour ago, smokeykat said:

Go to Guest Services and get cash before your cruise end. Currently, you are not allowed to disembark with a balance on your account. (i.e., after waiting in line for 45 minutes to get to security on the gangway to disembark, when you scan your card, it will indicate you are not allowed off the ship and then you'll have to go to the cashier in the gangway and wait in line to get cash back). 

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Go to Guest Services and get cash before your cruise end. Currently, you are not allowed to disembark with a balance on your account. (i.e., after waiting in line for 45 minutes to get to security on the gangway to disembark, when you scan your card, it will indicate you are not allowed off the ship and then you'll have to go to the cashier in the gangway and wait in line to get cash back). 

Thanks for the information! I would hate for that to happen especially when you want to make a flight. When we were on the Joy and I bought something in one of the shops. Well this happened to me because my credit card did not go through because we were at the time in international waters. Got sent to customer service after standing on the long carry your luggage off line and they ran the card and I was good to go.

Near the end of the cruise i got a call from the purser that i had a balance and to come to the front desk to get it. Two cancelled excursions (weather and not enough interest) generated over $900.00 in credits - the excursions were pre purchased so they had to cash me out - not back on the card. 

47 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

Near the end of the cruise i got a call from the purser that i had a balance and to come to the front desk to get it. Two cancelled excursions (weather and not enough interest) generated over $900.00 in credits - the excursions were pre purchased so they had to cash me out - not back on the card. 

We experienced the same onboard after NCL canceled our excursion.  Seemed like a very odd way to handle things (especially since they were the ones causing the problem).  We had to stand on a line (twice) at guest services to get the cash.  Plus we only knew to do this because we called and asked.  We got no phone call informing us and I think many people would just assume the credit would go back on the credit card they purchased the excursion with.  To top it off, when my husband went down to pick up the refund he was refused because I was listed as the primary passenger.  So . . . I had to get out of my pajamas and go down to Guest Services and we had to stand in line AGAIN.  Being snagged while getting off the ship without warning could be a problem for those on a tight schedule.  There should be a better way.

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

We experienced the same onboard after NCL canceled our excursion.  Seemed like a very odd way to handle things (especially since they were the ones causing the problem).  We had to stand on a line (twice) at guest services to get the cash.  Plus we only knew to do this because we called and asked.  We got no phone call informing us and I think many people would just assume the credit would go back on the credit card they purchased the excursion with.  To top it off, when my husband went down to pick up the refund he was refused because I was listed as the primary passenger.  So . . . I had to get out of my pajamas and go down to Guest Services and we had to stand in line AGAIN.  Being snagged while getting off the ship without warning could be a problem for those on a tight schedule.  There should be a better way.

I remember reading previously of your experience which is why when they wanted to give me OBC for our prepaid excursion in Brugge when they cancelled the port due to low tides before the cruise, I insisted on having the money returned to my credit card.

• Like 1