What is the difference between Suite vs Club Balcony Suite❓

Ozzieru1e

I was wondering when MiniSuite was divided into Suite and Club Balcony Suite on many NCL ships.  The last time I reserved a MiniSuite was in 2019 on the Escape.  I figured they came up with new categories to make more money.  COVID really hurt a lot of businesses financially.   Do anyone know when the new categories came about.  What is the difference

A Club Balcony Suite on Escape isn't an actual suite. NCL changed the mini-suite name to Club Balcony Suite and added a few (minor) amenities. Some other ships have suites that are higher amenity level than standard and some ships have those levels plus Haven level.

NCL made the name change sometime in early 2020.

47 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

A Club Balcony Suite on Escape isn't an actual suite. NCL changed the mini-suite name to Club Balcony Suite and added a few (minor) amenities. Some other ships have suites that are higher amenity level than standard and some ships have those levels plus Haven level.

NCL made the name change sometime in early 2020.

I was noticing on the NCL Joy staterooms goes from Inside to Oceanview to Balcony to Club Balcony Suite to Suite to Haven.   The Joy charges more for Suites than Club Balcony Suites.   I wonder what staterooms categories will exist after changes taking place in January 2024 on the Joy…I hear they are adding more Balcony staterooms by decreasing the size of the Observation Lounge.

17 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I was noticing on the NCL Joy staterooms goes from Inside to Oceanview to Balcony to Club Balcony Suite to Suite to Haven.   The Joy charges more for Suites than Club Balcony Suites.   I wonder what staterooms categories will exist after changes taking place in January 2024 on the Joy…I hear they are adding more Balcony staterooms by decreasing the size of the Observation Lounge.

Yes, the Suites category comes from the time when they were selling to the Asian market. And yes, they are bigger than club balcony rooms (which are the same size as balcony rooms... with a bigger bathroom). 

Not sure why you're poking at the dry dock, the details are well publicized 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-extensive-refurbishment-for-norwegian-joy

1 hour ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I was wondering when MiniSuite was divided into Suite and Club Balcony Suite on many NCL ships.  The last time I reserved a MiniSuite was in 2019 on the Escape.  I figured they came up with new categories to make more money.  COVID really hurt a lot of businesses financially.   Do anyone know when the new categories came about.  What is the difference

They changed the name from mini-suite to CBS. They did not divide Suites. Suites are Suites. CBS are renamed mini-suites. Just a name change and added perks to the room. Not sure what COVID has to do with anything. 

Edited by BirdTravels

The club balcony shouldn't be called a suite, it is just a balcony cabin with a few extra amenities and a slightly bigger bathroom.  It doesn't have access to The Haven, you don't get a butler and you don't have access to the concierge 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

The club balcony shouldn't be called a suite, it is just a balcony cabin with a few extra amenities and a slightly bigger bathroom.  It doesn't have access to The Haven, you don't get a butler and you don't have access to the concierge 

I agreed Club Balcony Suite shouldn’t include Suite in the name.  Noticed Club Balcony Suites approx. $800 less than Suites; and Suites approx $960 less than some Haven Suites on the Joy.  

There’s probably more cabin/balcony square footage in Suites to justify it costing $800 more than a Club Balcony Suite.  The first time I cruised in a MiniSuite I was disappointed that it only had a larger walk-in shower; but I must say it was a nice shower on the Escape.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I agreed Club Balcony Suite shouldn’t include Suite in the name.  Noticed Club Balcony Suites approx. $800 less than Suites; and Suites approx $960 less than some Haven Suites on the Joy.  

There’s probably more cabin/balcony square footage in Suites to justify it costing $800 more than a Club Balcony Suite.  The first time I cruised in a MiniSuite I was disappointed that it only had a larger walk-in shower; but I must say it was a nice shower on the Escape.

Not too mention that the $800 more for an actual suite on the Joy for instance....gets you a bigger cabin and balcony and that's about it. I know because we are booked for the Joy in 2024 in a Suite because it's 3 adults and we needed the room. Disappointed that it no longer has the amendities that it used to have....they gotten away but the price never changed.