Question... Which is better, Call and Cancel or A No Show??

BillB48

As we thought would happen, the "boss" will not be able to make the cruise because of work.  Tried to shop it around to the kids... but they have jobs too!  Work, the curse of the cruising class.  Just wondered if it would be better (easier) to call them today and cancel or just me tell them at check in she will be a no show??  Cruise leaves Saturday, Aug 26. 

1 minute ago, BillB48 said:

Just wondered if it would be better (easier) to call them today and cancel or just me tell them at check in she will be a no show??

Neither, say nothing at check in. If you want the extra C&A points for going solo, you'll need to rebook it to that today, if possible.

40 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

Thanks, the double points would be at least some benefit.  Guess I'll have to give them a call.

It's probably cheaper to leave as is, or else you might be charged a "single occupancy surcharge" or they could very well tell you there is no cabin available for single occupancy.  They did that to me on MSC even though there were plenty of cabins available, just not for one person....I would leave it as is. 

3 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

It's probably cheaper to leave as is, or else you might be charged a "single occupancy surcharge" or they could very well tell you there is no cabin available for single occupancy.  They did that to me on MSC even though there were plenty of cabins available, just not for one person....I would leave it as is. 

I've never had a booking repriced when changing from a double to a solo for clients on Royal.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I've never had a booking repriced when changing from a double to a solo for clients on Royal.

That's why I said "might" and "could". Every line is different, and the "rules" are always changing depending on who you get. 

Kinda like the rule  "if one person buys the alcohol package EVERYONE must buy it".....depends on who you get on the phone. 

1 minute ago, mickeychicky said:

That's why I said "might" and "could". Every line is different, and the "rules" are always changing depending on who you get. 

Kinda like the rule  "if one person buys the alcohol package EVERYONE must buy it".....depends on who you get on the phone. 

Since this is a Royal Caribbean forum it is always best to post what happens on Royal and not other cruise line.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Since this is a Royal Caribbean forum it is always best to post what happens on Royal and not other cruise line.

Is this better for you?  It's the same response no matter how you want me to spell it out.

It's probably cheaper to leave as is, or else you might be charged a "single occupancy surcharge" or they could very well tell you there is no cabin available for single occupancy. ...I would leave it as is, NO MATTER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE'S PAST EXPERIENCE HAVE BEEN.   Every line is different, and the "rules" are always changing depending on who you get.   

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I did call to see if I could re-book as a solo and the rep said that would be a forfeit of the two cruise fares minus fees and taxes.  I would be ineligible for the double points since the cabin would have to have been booked as a single to begin with.  I booked the cruise after final payment and my plan was she would be sailing or at least one of the other members of clan.  Crystal ball is always in the shop when you need it the most.

Edited by BillB48
  • Thanks 1

Up until now I have no issues booking directly, but I can see the times where a good travel agent is invaluable.  Like many people on this board finding a really knowledgeable agent is not an easy task. My experience with a travel agent while wasn't catastrophic was certainly an added layer of bureaucracy that had to be navigated to get a price reduction, hence I went back to doing it myself.  I guess you just don't miss the work of the pros until you really need their assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a question related to this.  Do you do check in for someone that you know won't be going?  Have a friend that can't go, we found a replacement and added them to the booking with the plan of the original pax just be a no show.  Check in is open for the sailing, the replacement pax is all checked in.

Pretty sure it won't matter, just curious if they'd say anything when checking in at the port.