Cruise Critic mobile app

Squawkman

I’m sure others received the email from Cruise Critic with a link to download their mobile app. I downloaded it on my iPad and after a few trial and errors, got it set up. One big difference is that there is a facility to send private messages. So if anyone downloads the app, try sending me a message to see if this works.

Edited by Squawkman
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I’m sure others received the email from Cruise Critic with a link to download their mobile app. I downloaded it on my iPad and after a few trial and errors, got it set up. One big difference is that there is a facility to send private messages. So if anyone downloads the app, try sending me a message to se if this works.

Can you please send a link?

I received  an email this morning about their new app. I see it also includes planing, and researching cruises, plus the CC boards/forums.

I will get it later today from the Apple Store  and give it a try. Being able to private messages is a great feature.  thanks for the heads up.

Thank goodness this is now public!

I stumbled across the app through a banner link that briefly appeared on the cruise critic UK website and installed it a few days ago. My guess is that the link was put up early in error. (Sorry @janetcbl I have no way of getting back to it)

Then I couldn't understand why I couldn't find any reference to it online. When I tried asking about the app on other threads I was told what I had was not really an app when I was perfectly sure that it was!!!

It is great to discover that it does exist and is not just a figment of my imagination 🤪

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

So if anyone downloads the app, try sending me a message to see if this works

That feature is currently marked as disabled on my version, maybe this is because I'm in the UK.

Ok, I downloaded the app on my iPhone. Needed to use my email address instead of my old user name Azulann. Let’s see what moniker I get now . I see it is the same !‼️

Edited by Azulann

An app to sell cruises, with the forum slipped in. Icons at bottom don’t even line up, last letter of ‘community’ is on a separate line; clearly this was a low-budget job. 

I’ll stick to the web; not impressed. 

Edited by longterm
  • Like 5

I dug around on this app. It is from the UK . When I went to profile , they wanted me to fill out my info with Country : United Kingdom shows up . Also they do not list Viking ocean cruise line except on CC boards. 

• Like 1

Hunh.  I downloaded the app when prompted while I was using Chrome browser on my Android tablet (in the US).  It looks just like it does when using a browser.  It took me straight to the forums when I opened it. When I check the app in Settings, it says it was downloaded from Google Play Store.

Edited by dd57

17 minutes ago, dd57 said:

But if I go to the Play Store, it doesn't show up in a search, and if I check my installed apps within the Play Store, it isn't listed. Very odd.

I heard back from sending them a message on my app on iPhone they replied in two minutes. They said it is a new app and they are loading more cruise lines including Viking in the near future. At least they are very prompt in relying. So may be we are part of a beta testing? 😀

2 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I heard back from sending them a message on my app on iPhone they replied in two minutes. They said it is a new app and they are loading more cruise lines including Viking in the near future. At least they are very prompt in relying. So may be we are part of a beta testing? 😀

I'm not sure what you mean by adding Viking;  I'm using the app to read and respond in the Viking forum.  All the categories look the same.  And if I use a browser instead, it knows what I've already read in the app.  Instantly.

3 minutes ago, dd57 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by adding Viking;  I'm using the app to read and respond in the Viking forum.

When you are on the  main page of app, which shows cruise lines and how to book a cruise.. I did find the Cruise Critic boards and you are right, there is our Viking Forum

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

What’s the point of using it? (Inquiring minds want to know.) 🤷‍♀️

It sounds like this is a 3rd party app that is merely linking to, or scraping the pages of CC. The banner that someone in this thread noticed was probably a paid advertisement.

It appears to be a booking app with links to other websites to attract users. I’ll pass.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Squawkman said:

That link is to a travel agency that sells cruises, not to Cruise Critic. It does say "Powered by Cruise Critic: Screenshot2023-08-26at7_16_27PM.thumb.png.3d1fb31be3b53c624981e7db856b5dc2.png

Is that it? 

I downloaded it and it's not "My Kind of Cruise."  It says its called the Cruise Critic Community.  It goes directly to the Cruise Critic Board and looks just like the web version.  No requirement to sign in  separately or provide any additional information.  I'm on Android.  It can't be found on Google Play Store, but it says it downloaded from the Play Store.

Edited by 1985rz1