My Arvia Review

jrphotog

I expect they have manual flush toilets and the push behind the seat to make sure people put the seat down before flushing. As it's a suction flush you must have the seat down as, especially if kids are doing it, something you don't want to could get sucked down. 

Btw we preferred the sky dome on Iona . 

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just priced up Arvia next August for family of 4 no fly Mediterranean for 2 weeks in a balcony cabin

Interestingly all the inside cabins are sold out already so it appears people are putting low price before balconys in August next year on Arvia

It's rare to see inside cabins sold out so far in advance for a cruise ship that big?

Isn't it?

Would imagine inside cabins would have been 1k to 1.5k cheaper?

So maybe 4.5k ish?

DD always opts for an inside as she has a toddler who loves to climb! She wouldn't want to risk a balcony.

I reckon a lot of families with young children might think along the same lines, hence they sell out quickly, perhaps? 

Edited by alpha whiskey
  • Like 1

Totally agree with the OP the pools are way too small for a full ship. 

However i think as with any school holiday, holiday, it is going to be packed. We knew this going into our cruise but have little choice with having a child. 

But a good honest review of arvia and much like the ones i and others have posted about the ship. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

DD always opts for an inside as she has a toddler who loves to climb! She wouldn't want to risk a balcony.

I reckon a lot of families with young children might think along the same lines, hence they sell out quickly, perhaps? 

Its just cheaper for families..simple as. 

No matter what room you are in everyone in the same boat with pools, food, entertainment etc. So for us spend less on a room = more cruise holidays

• Like 1

On Arvia now, 126 kids on board, 6 months to 18 years. That's about a 10th of what they have been having. The only pool which allows swim nappies was packed yesterday so i can imagine how busy it was in the holidays.

My son is the same, won't go in the kids club. He tried it but isn't interested. To be fair it's not that exciting in there. They just seem to put films on.

• Like 2

@Selbourne i know your wife is put off the big ships but I really do think you would be fine out of the holidays. We have a double pram and up until today we have always got in the second lift if the first is full. There are still people who barge ahead though, it amazes me, what do they think everyone is waiting for!? Also, it says in Horizon to give priority to wheelchair etc users

• Like 1

We go for an outside cabin, i won't risk a balcony with my children. I can't go for inside as the small square size with pullman beds doesn't work for us. The children are too young to use them so we need the sofa bed and space for a cot. I do like having the window though.

45 minutes ago, TMSA said:

@Selbourne i know your wife is put off the big ships but I really do think you would be fine out of the holidays. We have a double pram and up until today we have always got in the second lift if the first is full. There are still people who barge ahead though, it amazes me, what do they think everyone is waiting for!? Also, it says in Horizon to give priority to wheelchair etc users

I’m sure that the experience out of school holidays would indeed be very different. 10-20% fewer passengers would make a massive difference to the demand for lifts. Those with wheelchairs and scooters who have been on off-peak cruises on Iona also seem to echo this. The issue of people barging ahead of us, that you are also experiencing, was a new experience for us. Ironically, the most courteous and considerate people were the children and young adults.

I’m very interested to hear that on Arvia there was a request in Horizon to give priority at the lifts to wheelchair users and those with disabilities. After a couple of days of struggling to get around on Iona I asked reception if they could make this request in Horizon (there being none of the usual notices requesting this in the lift lobbies) and they steadfastly refused. 

My wife was really upset about the lack of consideration shown to wheelchair users, both by the reception team and fellow passengers, so she is still of the view that she has no desire to go on Iona again and, by association, Arvia. It’s a shame because there was a lot we liked (food, dining venue choices, 710 Club etc) but I have to respect the fact that if my wife doesn’t feel comfortable then it’s not an enjoyable experience for her and she has enough challenges in life not to be knowingly subjected to additional ones. Maybe her stance may soften with time, but as of last week, when I mentioned a few possible cruises, she was still dead against even considering Iona and Arvia. Thankfully we’ve still got four 14 night cruises to look forward to over the next year, two with P&O and two with Cunard. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m sure that the experience out of school holidays would indeed be very different. 10-20% fewer passengers would make a massive difference to the demand for lifts. Those with wheelchairs and scooters who have been on off-peak cruises on Iona also seem to echo this. The issue of people barging ahead of us, that you are also experiencing, was a new experience for us. Ironically, the most courteous and considerate people were the children and young adults.

I’m very interested to hear that on Arvia there was a request in Horizon to give priority at the lifts to wheelchair users and those with disabilities. After a couple of days of struggling to get around on Iona I asked reception if they could make this request in Horizon (there being none of the usual notices requesting this in the lift lobbies) and they steadfastly refused. 

My wife was really upset about the lack of consideration shown to wheelchair users, both by the reception team and fellow passengers, so she is still of the view that she has no desire to go on Iona again and, by association, Arvia. It’s a shame because there was a lot we liked (food, dining venue choices, 710 Club etc) but I have to respect the fact that if my wife doesn’t feel comfortable then it’s not an enjoyable experience for her and she has enough challenges in life not to be knowingly subjected to additional ones. Maybe her stance may soften with time, but as of last week, when I mentioned a few possible cruises, she was still dead against even considering Iona and Arvia. Thankfully we’ve still got four 14 night cruises to look forward to over the next year, two with P&O and two with Cunard. 

Seriously any passenger waiting for a lift in a wheelchair - everybody else should step back and help

But I've been at sports venues where they don't step back either. I've had to help make sure a young lad got on the next lift after others barged in front of him at Headingley cricket ground

So I can see the problem for sure for your wife. Not nice to face

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

On 8/30/2023 at 11:14 AM, smokey01 said:

10612 has the bed by the balcony doors

On 8/30/2023 at 6:49 PM, jrphotog said:

Thanks. So, according to reception we currently have 5804 pax, into 185k tonnage…giving a 32 ratio. 
Even at the ‘official’ max capacity of 5200 that’s still only 35. 
That certainly does seem considerably lower than most other ships. 
I wonder if those ratio lists that people publish are based on the ‘official’ capacity of ships or the true (plus kids) capacity. Because if it’s the latter then in reality the ratios will all be a bit lower. 
Either way, that will definitely inform any future decisions about who to cruise with. 

I have found the older ships have a far higher perdon to doace ratio. The newer ships have far more cabins but not proportionately  more space. I would suggest having a look at a ship with capacity below 4000. 

Returned from Arvia today and on the whole was not impressed with the ship or the service. Great ports and weather, food was good had no complaints but didn't enjoy the ship anywhere near as much as Iona. Never seen staff so miserable and cannot understand the logic of booking theatre shows in advance and then have to queue for the doors to be opened 40 mins before start. Also there were 4 screen cinema and majority of films were children's films and was disappointing with so few children onboard. Was that disappointed we have a cruise booked on Arvia in April but we are going to cancel it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Returned from Arvia today and on the whole was not impressed with the ship or the service. Great ports and weather, food was good had no complaints but didn't enjoy the ship anywhere near as much as Iona. Never seen staff so miserable and cannot understand the logic of booking theatre shows in advance and then have to queue for the doors to be opened 40 mins before start. Also there were 4 screen cinema and majority of films were children's films and was disappointing with so few children onboard. Was that disappointed we have a cruise booked on Arvia in April but we are going to cancel it.

Why did/do people queue for doors to be opened for theatre 40 mins in advance?

(I already understand people in wheelchairs have to arrive early)

Great ports and weather, food was good had no complaints but didn't enjoy the ship anywhere near as much as Iona.

Having also cruised on both ships like you I didn't really notice anything noticeably different between the 2?

Also there were 4 screen cinema and majority of films were children's films 

I have to question that 

(Depends what you class as children's films though I guess)

Ps MajorTom my replies aren't doubting how you feel nor questioning your choice not to travel on Arvia again. 

Just trying  to understand better what you've experience for my own benefit next time I'm on board!

So I'm pre-armed!

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I was thinking the same. Even with a wheelchair we found (on Iona) that around 15 mins before was sufficient. On Britannia 5 mins was enough!

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've never seen staff looking outwardly miserable on a cruise anywhere? 

Hope that's not something new

On Iona, with the exception of most of the restaurants (where service was generally very good) we noticed that a lot of the staff didn’t seem terribly happy. We put this down to them being overworked. The ship was incredibly busy and they seemed short staffed in places, particularly the bars and the coffee shop. Thinking about it, a cruise ship can’t ‘flex’ up staffing levels in peak periods in the same way that a land based hotel can. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Because if nobody queued until 10pm and then they opened the door and everyone had to be checked in by member of staff to make sure you had pre booked they wouldn't get in before show starts at 1030pm.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I have to question that 

(Depends what you class as children's films though I guess)

Ps MajorTom my replies aren't doubting how you feel nor questioning your choice not to travel on Arvia again. 

Just trying  to understand better what you've experience for my own benefit next time I'm on board!

So I'm pre-armed!

Obviously children's films that an adult wouldn't go on their own without children or grandchildren Minions etc.

45 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Because if nobody queued until 10pm and then they opened the door and everyone had to be checked in by member of staff to make sure you had pre booked they wouldn't get in before show starts at 1030pm.

That was exactly my experience.  The staff were at the entrance 30 minutes before the show to commence checking people in.  On the one occasion I waited until 10 minutes before curtain up I did not get into the theatre until the show had started although I was booked. Finding a seat on that occasion was difficult as the overspill queue was blocking the corridor. This was the 8.30pm show.

• Like 1

Well l suppose I should be happy enough people believe that as every night it magically allows me and my wife to arrive 5 mins before and walk in without a queue and easily get seats

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've never seen staff looking outwardly miserable on a cruise anywhere? 

Hope that's not something new

It can occur, for many reasons like Selbourne has mentioned and I would say a seasoned cruiser would spot things like this more so than a newer cruiser. Generally it used to be a good Captain meant a happy ship, but that is not always the case and the crew are only human! We experienced it on Arcadia and that was pre covid.

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy Arvia as much as you hoped you would. Will you be looking to go back on Iona next instead?