How Easy is it for Cruise Ship Passengers to Rent a Car for Sightseeing in Moorea?

cherylgrrl

Our cruise just changed itineraries and added a stop in Moorea. They haven't added any excursions so I'm trying to book something privately for my husband and I. I'm a bit reluctant to try to drive in such a place, but all the sightseeing tours seem to start at 9 am and our ship arrives at 7 am and leaves at 5 pm. With the tendering process and 3,000 passengers on our ship, I'm not sure we could book a 9 am tour and be certain we could make it. Some tour companies don't seem to pick up at the pier. 

How difficult would it be to arrange for a rental car for about 4 hours, so we could pick up a little later but still have plenty of time to get back on the ship? Can anyone tell me about Moorea rental car providers and how it works? Or do you think it would be possible to book a 9 am sightseeing tour with a 7 am arrival?

1 hour ago, cherylgrrl said:

Our cruise just changed itineraries and added a stop in Moorea. They haven't added any excursions so I'm trying to book something privately for my husband and I. I'm a bit reluctant to try to drive in such a place, but all the sightseeing tours seem to start at 9 am and our ship arrives at 7 am and leaves at 5 pm. With the tendering process and 3,000 passengers on our ship, I'm not sure we could book a 9 am tour and be certain we could make it. Some tour companies don't seem to pick up at the pier. 

How difficult would it be to arrange for a rental car for about 4 hours, so we could pick up a little later but still have plenty of time to get back on the ship? Can anyone tell me about Moorea rental car providers and how it works? Or do you think it would be possible to book a 9 am sightseeing tour with a 7 am arrival?

Here is your problem ... you will anchor in Oponupo Bay on a ship of that size ... Al the car rental places will want to pick you up and take you to their office. Albert's no longer has the close office and will take you to the main town about 30 minutes away. You must return it to the same location and then when enough people are there for a return to the tender location they will take you. Figuring paperwork time & shuttle time will be around 90 minutes. 

Avis takes you all the way to the ferry dock office ... another 10 minutes longer than Albert's. 

For only 4 hours it might not be worth it. Of course with that many passengers it's going to be messy trying to do anything ...

FYI, ship tours will have tender priority ... don't plan on anything much before 9AM.

My suggestion would be to book a private 4 hour tour ... maybe a 4X4 tour. a 9AM pickup for a 4 hour tour shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Here is your problem ... you will anchor in Oponupo Bay on a ship of that size ... Al the car rental places will want to pick you up and take you to their office. Albert's no longer has the close office and will take you to the main town about 30 minutes away. You must return it to the same location and then when enough people are there for a return to the tender location they will take you. Figuring paperwork time & shuttle time will be around 90 minutes. 

Avis takes you all the way to the ferry dock office ... another 10 minutes longer than Albert's. 

For only 4 hours it might not be worth it. Of course with that many passengers it's going to be messy trying to do anything ...

FYI, ship tours will have tender priority ... don't plan on anything much before 9AM.

My suggestion would be to book a private 4 hour tour ... maybe a 4X4 tour. a 9AM pickup for a 4 hour tour shouldn't be a problem.