Empress - Tiny Room

Hi - this is my very first post!! I'm a newby on this site. I'm sailing on the Empress April 10th and am booked into one of those itsy bitsy 108 sq ft rooms "small oceanview". The picture cuts off the lower left corner of the room so I can't tell what is across from the dresser. I know there's no seating area. This makes a difference in what suitcase I'm able to bring - my gigantic one that will fit all my clothes but probably won't fit in the room. Or the medium size one that folds up under the bed. Does anybody know what's in that corner?

I also have a really stupid question :confused: so don't laugh at me. I noticed that everybody refers to their spouses as DH or DW. WHAT DOES THE D STAND FOR??

Thanks - Sandy

Hi - this is my very first post!! I'm a newby on this site. I'm sailing on the Empress April 10th and am booked into one of those itsy bitsy 108 sq ft rooms "small oceanview". The picture cuts off the lower left corner of the room so I can't tell what is across from the dresser. I know there's no seating area. This makes a difference in what suitcase I'm able to bring - my gigantic one that will fit all my clothes but probably won't fit in the room. Or the medium size one that folds up under the bed. Does anybody know what's in that corner?

I also have a really stupid question :confused: so don't laugh at me. I noticed that everybody refers to their spouses as DH or DW. WHAT DOES THE D STAND FOR??

Thanks - Sandy

I'm not sure what corner is cut off or to what picture you are referring, but when you walk through the door the closet is on one side of you and the bathroom is on the other. We did our first cruise on the empress and we were regarded as having the "suite" at 139 sq. ft. while our friends got stuck in one of the 108 sq. ft. closets on deck 7. Is this your first cruise? It was ours--Empress was enjoyable, cramped as it was, and it inspired us to many other cruises. We were okay for 4 nighter--wouldn't want to be on that ship for a longer stay than that, but it was really okay for an intro to cruising for us. And every stateroom you ever have after that will seem like a palace!!

The bathroom wall is actually behind the desk, along with a storage unit about 14 inches wide with a few drawers, a shelf for the TV and a few additional open shelves between the foot of the bed and the bathroom wall

Go here for a virtual ship tour of the ship and various cabins including the standard and the slightly larger outside cabins. Note that this site lists "small" and "large" formats for the virtual tours, choose small because there are more pictures in that category:

http://www.cruisestateroom.com/virtualtours.htm

Since the beds have no boxspring, just a platform with legs, you can generally get even a large suitcase under the bed. If it doesn't just slide under the bed try flipping the lid over to one side and then sliding it under. Also, there may be a little edging on the bedframe that's stopping it, just lift the edge of the bed and then try sliding it under.

Thank you so much for the information. This is actually my third cruise - did the Serenade last April for a 14-day Panama Canal cruise and fell in love with the Caribbean. This 11-day island hop had the most islands in the shortest amount of time so thought it would be worth the so-so ship. We definitely will not spend much time in our tiny little room!!! Just to get pretty for any single guys that may be on the ship (personally, I've never seen any single straight guys on a cruise.....but here's hoping). I guess I'll try to squeeze everything into the smaller collapsible suitcase. If not, I like the idea of the cabin steward being able to store the giant one somewhere.

Thanks again and happy cruising! Sandy

since the beds don't have boxsprings, can we take along bed-risers (have them from my daughter's dorm room)? that adds about 3-4 inches. we have an inside room...no window, but a few more square feet, or is it inches? j/k

we have three in each room, so are hoping that there is plenty to do. On the last cruise (our first) we really weren't in the room much, so guessing this should be the same...like you said, just to get changed. Not looking for any single men, but hope you find some to hang out with and have fun;)

(we are going 7/8 to Bermuda) oh, and another tip I got from these boards, ask for foam matress toppers to make the bed more comfy.

Denise

Thank you so much for the information. This is actually my third cruise - did the Serenade last April for a 14-day Panama Canal cruise and fell in love with the Caribbean. This 11-day island hop had the most islands in the shortest amount of time so thought it would be worth the so-so ship. We definitely will not spend much time in our tiny little room!!!

Just to get pretty for any single guys that may be on the ship (personally, I've never seen any single straight guys on a cruise.....but here's hoping). I guess I'll try to squeeze everything into the smaller collapsible suitcase. If not, I like the idea of the cabin steward being able to store the giant one somewhere.

Thanks again and happy cruising! Sandy

fugeddaboudit. :( :D

• 1 year later...

I was having fun reading this 2-year old thread I had started about the Empress cruise I was going on.

Update: Loved the ship, the small room was ok, and yes, there was one single guy on the ship. I MARRIED HIM!

In fact, we're going on our very first cruise together in 10 days, not counting the one we met on.

Just thought you'd get a kick out of it, especially you Merion Mom.

See ya - Sandy

Archived