Has anyone been to Buccanos lately? Going in October 2023...

Sosai X

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of Mr. Sancho's or Paradise Beach Club for a few weeks now, and noticed a few mentions of Buccanos.  We're not big drinkers so an all-inclusive may not be our best bet, and we'll have our two sons, ages 11 and 6, with us, and all they want is a good beach.   We did Playa Mia last year on a Disney cruise and weren't super impressed with the beach, although the facilities were decent.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like Buccanos charges around $23/pp to get in, but it's all applied toward your F&B purchases while you're there.  How's the beach, though?  From what I can tell the water looks amazing and the beach entry is small, but that's all we need - just a little spit of sandy area for the kiddos.

And how's the food?  I'm seeing mostly feedback that it's superior to anything offered at an all-inclusive, but of course that's subjective.   Service?  Taxi availability?

It’s been a few months since I’ve been there but I think I can answer most of your questions.

First, there is no beach.  Buccanos is located in the opposite direction from the beach clubs. It’s a rock faced area which means no beach but very clear water and great snorkeling.  There is a large man made sandy area with lounge chairs and shade palapas.  There is a walk in area as well as a dock with a ladder. Lots of colorful fish right close to the shore and clear water, unlike the beach areas.

There’s also a pool which we always enjoy.

The food is very good.  We were Paradise Beach folks for 25 years until it became AI.  The food there was always good and I can’t say Buccanos is significantly better, although it’s excellent.  You won’t go hungry.

Service is great.  Look around and you’ll find pictures, including the covered area where you can get a table with wait staff for lunch. You can also eat in your lounge chair if you like.

Almost forgot to mention, no loud music and rowdy drunks.  

Taxis don’t sit there like they do at Paradise a beach but we’ve never waited longer than maybe 15 minutes for one. Just ask the guy who takes your entry fee.  His name is Kenny.

Note that they don’t open until 10AM their time.  That may or may not be ship time and is nonnegotiable. If you visit Cozumel regularly on cruises you should give it a try.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

First, there is no beach.  Buccanos is located in the opposite direction from the beach clubs. It’s a rock faced area which means no beach but very clear water and great snorkeling.  

From around the start of this video to about 15 seconds in it sure looks like a beach, albeit a tiny one.  Is that new?  

24 minutes ago, Sosai X said:

From around the start of this video to about 15 seconds in it sure looks like a beach, albeit a tiny one.  Is that new?  

IMO there is a small beach, albeit slightly rocky, but there is sand access directly to the ocean unlike some snorkeling locations that are over rocks or via ladder. I am not sure about quality of sand for digging as I haven’t taken kids to that particular club but I think it would suffice.

I agree with most of what @lifes-a-beach said. It is at the rocky north end but I think with regards man-made area that is more around the pool and tables later in the video. He  does say there is direct access too - not sure if that is imported sand or not. Taxi prices will depend which pier you are docking at but will be easily available or called.

Buccanos dining has a good reputation amongst ex-pats, especially at night. Daytime is more casual but good quality and certainly tourist prices.

We enjoy the pool. It has been a while since we were there. I understand there are less ship excursions now they have reallocated some of the land to the newer club next door. I imagine it should be quieter now although obviously smaller so I am not sure. Certainly not as big or crowded as Sanchos or Paradise Beach, but less activities and no inflatables. (Unless your 6 -year old is a good swimmer note the inflatables are in deep water although I believe life jackets are mandatory.)

Opening times are clearly listed on website and closed on Mondays.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

Best guess - would a 6th grader and a 1st grader (both boys) like Paradise Beach Club more, or Buccanos?  They love to swim and will be in the water most of the time, and the inflatable bouncy toys aren't a draw, so disregard that edge for PBC.  

• 3 weeks later...

What you see in the video is what it looks like as far as a beach. We went there twice (because we loved it there) when we stayed in Cozumel. The food was good and my daughter had a blast jumping off the concrete dock they have beside the beach walk in area. We also went snorkeling by walking down a ways and getting in by the abandoned building attached to this place and drifted back to the beach while snorkeling. The huge pool is amazing and great when you don't want to swim in the ocean. There is plenty of trees/shade over the beach area where you sit as well. HERE is my review with tons of pictures in it if you are interested. HERE is the second time we went. 

My wife was down there a couple of weeks ago and looked on, I guess, their facebook page (or some Facebook page) and saw that the pool is under renovation or refinishing or something.  It’s not on their website that I can find.  Anyway the pool was closed.  I don’t do Facebook but you should consider this and check for yourself.  

19 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

My wife was down there a couple of weeks ago and looked on, I guess, their facebook page (or some Facebook page) and saw that the pool is under renovation or refinishing or something.  It’s not on their website that I can find.  Anyway the pool was closed.  I don’t do Facebook but you should consider this and check for yourself.  

Yes i saw that a while back on TA.

I haven’t seen anything recently but did think it was strange it wasn’t on website if it was going to be for some time. That would be annoying for me.

Edited by c-leg5