Sleeping Pads

JohnGc

Out of interest, any fellow cruisers take a sleeping pad with them ? Hard beds are murder to me as I have back problems. I have been looking at Klymit  static V pads, they seem a reasonable cost. Although not very wide they roll up very smallI, thought they would be okay on top of a hard mattress. I have a couple of self inflating ones but they are too big when rolled up to take on a flight and too awkward along with luggage,

I believe most cruise lines have topper pads which they will provide if the mattress in your cabin is too hard for you. I've never had a bed that was too hard on a cruise ship though.

Princess beds are wonderful. The base is firm enough to give good support but then there is a cloud-like topper over it. Soooo comfortable. 

• Thanks 1

Are you going on a Princess ship?

I don't know about the beds being too hard, I've always found the beds and pillows on Princess too soft.

Feel like I'm going to drown in them.

Get the staff to see if they can find stiffer ones.

P&O similar, probably because their ex Princess.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Are you going on a Princess ship?

I don't know about the beds being too hard, I've always found the beds and pillows on Princess too soft.

Feel like I'm going to drown in them.

Get the staff to see if they can find stiffer ones.

P&O similar, probably because their ex Princess.

Ask your cabin steward if they can remove the topper or replace it with a thinner one. 

I always feel it's too soft on the first night but then I adjust to it. I'm not used to quite such a soft topper but I always sleep well after the first night, and it was a real boon when I had Covid onboard as I sat/lay on the bed while Rolf sat at the other end of the minisuite.

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ask your cabin steward if they can remove the topper or replace it with a thinner one. 

I always feel it's too soft on the first night but then I adjust to it. I'm not used to quite such a soft topper but I always sleep well after the first night, and it was a real boon when I had Covid onboard as I sat/lay on the bed while Rolf sat at the other end of the minisuite.

Yes we did get the topper removed, and got a stiffer pillow.

But always really enjoy our bed when we get home.

Funny how you get use to a particular type of bedding.🙂

But if you have a back problem, yes I can understand the need try and find something to take with you.

Hope you find something JohnGc That helps.

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes we did get the topper removed, and got a stiffer pillow.

But always really enjoy our bed when we get home.

Funny how you get use to a particular type of bedding.🙂

But if you have a back problem, yes I can understand the need try and find something to take with you.

Hope you find something JohnGc That helps.

Thanks guys. I do need a bed that is not hard. Got a short 7 day cruise booked on the Luminosa  and after watching a few reviews it appears the beds are very firm. Every time I have asked for a topper on other cruises I have been given a thin quilt type underlay that did nothing. I found the Ovation bed was firm and I believe the Quantum is the same. I am thinking with an inflatable sleeping pad I can adjust to suit my needs. It is always a problem for me, at home I have an adjustable electric bed that I use in the zero gravity position and that relieves my back pain, unfortunately I cant get it in my suitcase 😂  Regarding Princess I have only been once many years ago on Sea Princess.  I was younger then before I started whinging about my back. I had a great time and cant remember the bed being a problem. Don't get me wrong I love cruising and I understand beds are such a personal choice and there is no one type of mattress that would suit everybody.  I have cruises booked until the end of 2024 so if health permits maybe I can book a princess cruise for 2025 and try their beds.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 5:52 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I believe most cruise lines have topper pads which they will provide if the mattress in your cabin is too hard for you. I've never had a bed that was too hard on a cruise ship though.

Princess beds are wonderful. The base is firm enough to give good support but then there is a cloud-like topper over it. Soooo comfortable. 

Have you tried Royal Caribbean their beds are as hard as a plank. 

Princess & p&o are wonderful. 

Edited by joejoe 59
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

Have you tried Royal Caribbean their beds are as hard as a plank. 

Princess & p&o are wonderful. 

We tried Royal Caribbean years ago but I can't recall what the bed was like. At that time Princess beds weren't great either but once they rolled out the new ones, a year or so later, it was a massive improvement. 

• Like 1