Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

Next time 🙂

Glad to do it. Variety is the spice of life. I probably wouldn't be so open minded if I was limited to one or two trips a year, I am blessed to be able to try new things. I was very apprehensive going in, but it ended up exceeding all expectations.

Thanks so much for following along.

@jam19872016 You are much braver than many Cunarders who would never think of doing the reverse that you did — go from a Cunard ship to Carnival. Me included!!

I have nothing against Carnival but the main difference (and you may have experienced it in QE) is the direct connection you get with being on the ocean and at sea. So many cruise ships look like a mall inside and because of all the amusements outside have limited views and access to the water. 
I love Transatlantic Crossings on the QM2 for that exact reason. Being at one with the sea. The below picture taken in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean from the aft of the QM2 explains it all. 
I’ll be back on QE next summer in Alaska and hope to have 1/2 as much fun as you have had on your voyage. Thank you!

IMG_3376.jpeg

• Like 10

Just now, NE John said:

@jam19872016 You are much braver than many Cunarders who would never think of doing the reverse that you did — go from a Cunard ship to Carnival. Me included!!

I have nothing against Carnival but the main difference (and you may have experienced it in QE) is the direct connection you get with being on the ocean and at sea. So many cruise ships look like a mall inside and because of all the amusements outside have limited views and access to the water. 
I love Transatlantic Crossings on the QM2 for that exact reason. Being at one with the sea. The below picture taken in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean from the aft of the QM2 explains it all. 
I’ll be back on QE next summer in Alaska and hope to have 1/2 as much fun as you have had on your voyage. Thank you!

IMG_3376.jpeg

That is definitely the case with many modern cruise ships including Carnival's newer ships. 

The ship I'll be traveling on is very well connected to the sea. Actually I felt better connected. 

QE had less upper deck space and had high railings in many locations. I was surprised as the high railings seem to be more a new ship thing.

Freedom also has an indoor promenade deck with windows looking out to the sea. I did not notice that on the interior decks. I think they had them, but not right along the walkway the entire length of the deck where you have that connection without seeking it out.

And most importantly, to me at least, there was no forward facing open air deck. The closest I could find was on the sports deck and it was completely closed in by glass and hard to access without interrupting someone's game. Same for the crown lounge. Glass enclosed.

I love a good forward observation deck. On Carnival those are open to the public if you know how to find it, on here they were marked crew only. 

I loved Alaska, really want to get back there again! Enjoy your trip there and thanks for following along.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

IMG_3376.jpeg

Carnival Mardi Gras April 30th, 2023.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba9917cad2dc46e0d41ddc766bf1f02b.jpeg

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Nice aft! That’s what is all about…
My concern is centered on the newer huge ships that are more inward looking and have little to do with the sea. 
But…this has been a great journey to follow and I enjoyed reading all the different perspectives. 

• Like 6

Good morning. 

As expected it took forever to fall asleep last night.

I'm doing the last minute packing now and then vacating the room. I have until 9am to do so.

Not sure how updated it is but Freedom is not along side yet according to cruise mapper. Best guess is it will be at terminal A which is going to be a pain to get to if that ends up being correct. We shall see.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

One thing that impresses me is that there have been a lot of things you could have done.  But instead, you took your mother out and made sure she did and saw what she wanted , including shopping.  EM

Thank you. I hope to be able to have many return trips but for my mother..

Who knows. So she is definitely the priority. 

I wish her mobility allowed her to do more and enjoy her time more but I will take whatever she can physically do 😀

• Like 15

8 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Nice aft! That’s what is all about…
My concern is centered on the newer huge ships that are more inward looking and have little to do with the sea. 
But…this has been a great journey to follow and I enjoyed reading all the different perspectives. 

I agree with the newer ships. Of the big 3, i feel like Carnival does the best job at keeping you connected to the sea.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Were there any sugar free desserts available?

Now that you mentioned it, I did not notice any. I asked my mom and she didn't notice either. I'd imagine you could ask and be accommodated but I did not notice any on the menu.

• Thanks 2

I'm loaded down with 357lbs of luggage and leaving the room now. My mom left 15 minutes ago I told her I was waiting until the last minute. A few last minutes of quiet before I have to join the herd for a few hours.

Freedom is alongside now and appears to be docked at terminal c. That's great news if it's accurate since we are next door at D.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

You would not have that problem on Carnival.

Naked tables 😮

Interestingly, only a glass or so came out, which is a lot, but much better than a bottle’s worth. It only went on the table, none on us, none on the floor, none on our neighbours.

And I got my comeuppance, for the next evening I came down with Covid!

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, l2luv2cruise said:

Freedom is right behind you.

barcelona-freedom-qel.jpg

That's what I'm seeing too. Excellent news.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Interestingly, only a glass or so came out, which is a lot, but much better than a bottle’s worth. It only went on the table, none on us, none on the table, none on our neighbours.

And I got my comeuppance, for the next evening I came down with Covid!

How did the salt/pepper do?

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Now that you mentioned it, I did not notice any. I asked my mom and she didn't notice either. I'd imagine you could ask and be accommodated but I did not notice any on the menu.

I think you’ll find they do. It is specifically mentioned on the buffet menu, and I think one of the little signs on the MDR menu means low sugar.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think you’ll find they do. It is specifically mintiioned on the buffet menu, and I think one of the little signs on the MDR menu means low sugar.

I do remember that on the  buffet. I see something listed as wellness option on the menu, perhaps that is lower sugar although if you are diabetic I would verify that before ordering.

• Like 3

Just now, exlondoner said:

Unscathed by the wine, ignored by us, for we never use them. 🙂

Hope you have a smooth transfer and boarding.

Thanks 😊

Five more minutes before I check to see if I need to leave. They did call my number but they said 930 so I'm waiting until then at least.

My mom has gone on 🙄.

• Like 5