Rome Hotel Information

Princess Calee

There's a long thread pinned at the top of this forum with tons of information and recommendations on hotels in Rome, especially about the best location(s) in the center.

Just a note -- a "star" rating means something a bit different in Italy vs. the US. It has a lot to do with what amenities the hotel offers and not so much about the quality. In Rome a good 3-star hotel could be better than a not-so-well-run 4 star....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Princess Calee said:

We are interested in any references for a 4-star hotel, or reasonably priced, that is centrally located to the major attractions in Rome.

cruisemom42 beat me to it and is referencing the "sticky" at the top of this Italy Forum.  It should have several suggestions in it. This one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2756652-hotels-in-rome/page/35/#comment-65885460

Edited by edinburgher

I love talking about "stars".  In the US, Forbes and AAA are the biggies.  Booking websites have no real standards.  Forbes has a 400+ checklist that the secret inspector has to go through each time she visits a property.  My one property made a conscious decision to not offer 24 hour room service so we could never be a 5* resort.  We would make higher scores on service than our sister flagship 5* property, but they got the 5 and we got the 4.  Forbes is a combination of facilities, hard goods and service.  AAA is more facilities and hard goods (does the room have a desk and casual chair?).  European countries have regional official standards.  What is 4* in Rome may not be 4* in Torino.  

Absolutely go to the hotels sticky at the top of the forum.   Pick some that are frequently recommended, then go to the websites of the places and see what regional * are there.  If you are into Forbes, you can go to the Forbes website (forbestravelguide.com) and see which hotels in Rome are 4*, 

• 2 weeks later...

The sticky at the top of this page is overwhelming, I understand you asking the question.  When I was picking my hotels I ended up making a list of all of the ones that were listed as 4/5* via Amex or AAA and looking at those.  In the end I went with the W through Amex because we got perks being members with Marriott and Amex.  Reasonable?  Probably not, but it was an American style 4* hotel in the center of Rome.  Easy walking to everywhere we wanted to go (except the Vatican)  Granted, a cheeseburger and fries from room service were $35 so keep that in mind if you're thinking about eating there.