Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

The ETIAS, which stands for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System, is a document that Americans will have to obtain online in the future in order to be eligible to travel to most of Europe, and is very similar to the American Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA), SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

While Americans were supposed to start applying for an ETIAS from November 2023, this won’t happen, as the EU has postponed the ETIAS launch date sometime by the end of the first half of 2024.

Due to delays that have been caused by contractors for the Entry/Exit System, another EU travel security system, the date when the same launches has also been postponed from May 2023, to the end of the year. Since the ETIAS cannot function without the EES being fully operative, the EU has had no other choice but to postponed the ETIAS too.

While an exact date for either system is still not defined, the EES will enter into force by the end of the year, whereas the ETIAS will follow five or six months later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:20 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We just learned about the new system requirement the other day through causal reading.  Go to ETIAS.com to sign up for notifications, plus you can read more about system anticipated role out.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, Seaworthy71 said:
  • Your US passport. It must not be older than ten years and it should be valid for at least three more months beyond the intended date of departure from the Schengen Area.

Our passports don’t expire until 2025, I’m not concerned about them.

3 hours ago, Ditch said:

We just learned about the new system requirement the other day through causal reading.  Go to ETIAS.com to sign up for notifications, plus you can read more about system anticipated role out.

We have read the site but haven’t signed up for notifications. Will do so. 

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

We have this booked next week. It looks lovely & they have been very responsive so far.

Do you know if they have air conditioning?

We didn't need to use it but I there was definitely an air conditioning appliance in the room. However, I seem to remember seeing a note or a notice regarding government regulations that restrict the temperature settings in some way - maybe maximum temperature or can't be used unless the outset temperature is above a certain number of degrees, something along those lines.

31 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

We didn't need to use it but I there was definitely an air conditioning appliance in the room. However, I seem to remember seeing a note or a notice regarding government regulations that restrict the temperature settings in some way - maybe maximum temperature or can't be used unless the outset temperature is above a certain number of degrees, something along those lines.

Good to know.

We have the suite on 6th floor...any air will be welcome, but will bring some little fans too.

• Like 1

Since our plans were changed and now we will need 2 nights in Rome before flying home...early November. 

Wondering which Hotel location we should choose? 

And how far away is FCO Rome airport from the hotel?

The spouse hasn't been to Rome before, but I recall a nice hotel almost next door

to the Colessum.... but were also hoping to visit the Vatican and other touristy spots. Thanks

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

• 2 weeks later...

We are just starting our planning stages and are looking for a hotel recommendation for 4 in Rome prior to our April 29, 2024 cruise. We will arrive Saturday the 27th for 2 nights. 

None of us have ever been to Rome before so we would like to be within walking distance of major attractions. We are looking for something comfortable, clean and as budget friendly as possible. 

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

We are just starting our planning stages and are looking for a hotel recommendation for 4 in Rome prior to our April 29, 2024 cruise. We will arrive Saturday the 27th for 2 nights. 

None of us have ever been to Rome before so we would like to be within walking distance of major attractions. We are looking for something comfortable, clean and as budget friendly as possible. 

Thank you.

Low budget stays… Simple, clean and check out their webs for positions etc

https://www.monasterystays.com/?d=Italy/Lazio/Rome-accommodation

https://stpatricksamericanrome.org/convent-accomodations-in-rome/

Or

Four to consider at various price points - 

All will give a great stay and are in excellent locations

Albergo del Senato

Albergo Santa Chiara

Hotel Navona,

Hotel Singer Palace

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Adding
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Or

Albergo del Senato

Albergo Santa Chiara

Hotel Navona,

Hotel Singer Palace

Thank you for the reply. 

So I have researched a few suggestions and it looks like I need to get moving with a reservation as inventory in several suggestions is low and I will need two rooms for two nights. My required dates are 4/27-4/29/24. I know it is advised not to use a booking site but for several options, unless I am interpreting things incorrectly, it seems the booking sites have lower rates. I need something fully refundable as my son is Air Force. 

Also, I believe from what I have read that email is the best way to book. Is that correct? 

Thank you so much for your input. 

Edited by LDL1220

26 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

So I have researched a few suggestions and it looks like I need to get moving with a reservation as inventory in several suggestions is low and I will need two rooms for two nights. My required dates are 4/27-4/29/24. I know it is advised not to use a booking site but for several options, unless I am interpreting things incorrectly, it seems the booking sites have lower rates. I need something fully refundable as my son is Air Force. 

Also, I believe from what I have read that email is the best way to book. Is that correct? 

Thank you so much for your input. 

Web sellers get the “Junk Rooms”, without any possibility of a paid upgrade on checking in.

Go direct to the hotel, by message, e-mail, but even better by telephone, this to discuss all options and any free add ons.  Sooner the better.  It’s good to talk and shows true interest.

Good luck…. One is leaving a Saturday stay (weddings etc) in a good hotel a tad late.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Get
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LDL1220 said:

I know it is advised not to use a booking site but for several options, unless I am interpreting things incorrectly, it seems the booking sites have lower rates. I need something fully refundable as my son is Air Force. 

I use booking sites to check out lodging I'm not familiar and compare relative pricing then go to the hotel's website to complete the booking.  Do a Google search for the hotel's website...do not use a link provided by a booking site.

Personally I would not use email for booking because it would require sending credit card info by email...not advisable.  Also, I prefer to take screen shots as I proceed through the booking process in the event I need proof of pricing, dates, confirmations, etc. at a later date.

Try to find something on Booking.com...then check out the website of a hotel that interests you.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, -Lew- said:

I use booking sites to check out lodging I'm not familiar and compare relative pricing then go to the hotel's website to complete the booking.  Do a Google search for the hotel's website...do not use a link provided by a booking site.

Personally I would not use email for booking because it would require sending credit card info by email...not advisable.  Also, I prefer to take screen shots as I proceed through the booking process in the event I need proof of pricing, dates, confirmations, etc. at a later date.

Try to find something on Booking.com...then check out the website of a hotel that interests you.

On 8/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Or

Albergo del Senato

Albergo Santa Chiara

Hotel Navona,

Hotel Singer Palace

Thank you for the reply. It looks like so far my best options for my budget are either Hotel Smeraldo or Hotel River Palace. Opinions on one over the other? I am waiting to hear back from Hotel Navona. Both said they could arrange transfers from the airport for between 80-100 euros for 4. 

2 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

Thank you for the reply. It looks like so far my best options for my budget are either Hotel Smeraldo or Hotel River Palace. Opinions on one over the other?

Not familiar with Hotel River Palace.  We're staying at Hotel Smeraldo for five nights this October because of recommendations here and location.

I believe you can do better on your own for transfer from FCO to your Rome hotel.  We use RomeCabs at a rate of €65.00.  There are others.  I know @cruisemom42 recommends taking a taxi...that would cost you less than RomeCabs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Not familiar with Hotel River Palace.  We're staying at Hotel Smeraldo for five nights this October because of recommendations here and location.

I believe you can do better on your own for transfer from FCO to your Rome hotel.  We use RomeCabs at a rate of €65.00.  There are others.  I know @cruisemom42 recommends taking a taxi...that would cost you less than RomeCabs.

Thank you once again. I think I will book to put my mind at ease. I am worried (a worrier by nature 😭) that I will not have time to book transfers because my air is with the cruise line (60 days notice) and we are a party of 4.  I look forward to hearing about your stay. 

The set fee is 50 euros from airport to city center for a taxi.  You will find some taxi that seat 4, but the amount of your luggage can make it a tight squeeze.  Below is a website answering questions on cabs, and also provides calculator/booking for private car service.

Rome Fiumicino Airport Taxi fares - Rome airport: Fiumicino (FCO) & Ciampino (CIA) airports (rome-airport.net)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on Hotel Smeraldo vs. Hotel Lancelot? HL is about 25 euros less per night for what looks to be similar accomodations. Both include breakfast. 

Is their anyone who can offer some thoughts with regard to overall experience, location, etc. 

Thank you kindly, 

Lisa

4 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

Thoughts on Hotel Smeraldo vs. Hotel Lancelot? HL is about 25 euros less per night for what looks to be similar accomodations. Both include breakfast. 

Is their anyone who can offer some thoughts with regard to overall experience, location, etc. 

Thank you kindly, 

Lisa

Hotel Lancelot is just a stones throw away from the Coliseum and many restaurants in the area. You can walk to the Coliseum. Although I did not stay there, I stayed across the street and almost everyday there were Americans outside gathering for tours. It was a good area.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Hotel Lancelot is just a stones throw away from the Coliseum and many restaurants in the area. You can walk to the Coliseum. Although I did not stay there, I stayed across the street and almost everyday there were Americans outside gathering for tours. It was a good area.

Thank you for your input. I will probably stay there because it will save me some but still pondering it over.