Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

5 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Although it's best to have a reservation for a restaurant you really want to visit, we've been to many without one.  Armando al Pantheon was accepting some without a reservation at opening last time we dined there.  Personally I wouldn't want to chance it, but it's worth a try if you were not able to get a reservation.  If you don't get in, there are plenty of other options. 

We've walked up to many without a recommendation and I can't say we've ever been disappointed.  There are so many on side streets in the area of the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

I've heard of Tonnarello, but have never been there.

Thanks Len, I am trying Osteria da Francesco, we will be there in 3 weeks and I was out of town when I was first able to reserve Armando.  When I remembered they were already booked.

5 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Armando al Pantheon was accepting some without a reservation at opening last time we dined there.  Personally I wouldn't want to chance it, but it's worth a try if you were not able to get a reservation.  If you don't get in, there are plenty of other options. 

Since Armando al Pantheon has gotten so famous it is harder to reserve a table and there are fewer last minute vacancies. It has been featured on a number of TV "foodie" shows including Bobby Flay and Giada di Laurentiis' trip through Italy and Stanley Tucci's series on "Finding Italy".

The del Senato has always been helpful to me in making reservations for various restaurants and activities -- but last year when I stayed there in October even they gave up!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The del Senato has always been helpful to me in making reservations for various restaurants and activities -- but last year when I stayed there in October even they gave up!

Here's the response I received to my email request to Albergo del Senato for booking assistance last fall...

Armando al Pantheon does not answer both calls and e-mails. Because of this, we decided
to waive any kind of collaboartion relationship with them.

I’m sorry we can not help you for this.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, Fishboy1947 said:

We just returned from 2 nights in Rome after our cruise. We stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara which is very near the Pantheon. We completely enjoyed our stay. The hotel was convenient, modern inside, quiet, very comfortable and had a very good breakfast. It is moderately priced and would highly recommend

I just booked this hotel for 2024. The price is right for us and the location is fantastic. I wrote a preference in the reservation and they contacted me by email to ask a question. We have had several emails back and forth and they seem great to work with. I am looking forward to my stay there.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2023 at 6:37 AM, -Lew- said:

Here's the response I received to my email request to Albergo del Senato for booking assistance last fall...

Armando al Pantheon does not answer both calls and e-mails. Because of this, we decided
to waive any kind of collaboartion relationship with them.

I’m sorry we can not help you for this.

That mirrors my experience as well.  Fortunately I was able to make dinner reservations myself for two different nights during our 5 night stay at Albergo del Senato last October.

One big tip to those people looking who may book this restaurant: I found that Armando al Pantheon's online reservation system does not work properly with my Chrome web browser.  There is no warning or error message telling you so--I was just unable to see any available dates.  It was only after I switched to Microsoft's Edge web browser did it work for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maggietaggie said:

Anyone ever stay at Singer Palace Hotel in Rome?  Looking for comments.  Thinking of splurging for two nights and staying post cruise next year …..

This is our favourite in Rome… Yes, it’s a splurge….. One can read all the plaudits on websites, but it will not compare to seeing it real time.  

Rooms, ambiance and service will wow.

DW summed it up in a phrase “When we’ve been out for the day, we are content to be going back”.  Not every hotel we stayed at can be mentioned in this way.

Singer Palace can be considered a beautiful destination inside a beautiful destination.

Note to self…. Do it and not suffer a “what if?”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

This is our favourite in Rome… Yes, it’s a splurge….. One can read all the plaudits on websites, but it will not compare to seeing it real time.  

Rooms, ambiance and service will wow.

DW summed it up in a phrase “When we’ve been out for the day, we are content to be going back”.  Not every hotel we stayed at can be mentioned in this way.

Singer Palace can be considered a beautiful destination inside a beautiful destination.

Note to self…. Do it and not suffer a “what if?”.

So glad to hear.  I read all the reviews and thought they were all too good to be true.  Can’t wait to stay there!!   Thank you

14 minutes ago, maggietaggie said:

So glad to hear.  I read all the reviews and thought they were all too good to be true.  Can’t wait to stay there!!   Thank you

Romantic?
A passeggiata (hand holding is compulsory), followed by glass of fizz in Jim’s, then a long slow dinner on the Terrace under the stars.  Then close eyes for a few seconds, relax and let the Singer and Rome give one a big gentle hug.  One will then understand.

I realize the temps are unseasonably hot there right now, as well as many other places. If it were to be like this next summer, 100+, what is there to do in Rome to escape the heat?  Something that wouldn’t involve a long queue. Does the Albergo del Senato or Hotel Smeraldo have an indoor lounge or someplace to hang out?  If the temps are high should we just plan on waking up early and taking a shower/nap in the heat of the day before going out again?

Do either of these hotels have closets or drawers?  I haven’t noticed them in pics. Does the A/C work well?  

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I realize the temps are unseasonably hot there right now, as well as many other places. If it were to be like this next summer, 100+, what is there to do in Rome to escape the heat?  Something that wouldn’t involve a long queue. Does the Albergo del Senato or Hotel Smeraldo have an indoor lounge or someplace to hang out?  If the temps are high should we just plan on waking up early and taking a shower/nap in the heat of the day before going out again?

Do either of these hotels have closets or drawers?  I haven’t noticed them in pics. Does the A/C work well?  

Remember when you were asking questions about the heat? 😉

The Albergo del Senato has good A/C, also closets with hanging space and shelves for storage. I think the nightstands also have a couple of small drawers. Rooms also have a mini-fridge, electric kettle with tea and coffee packets and a safe. 

There's not really a lounge per se, there's a bar off the lobby but I've not really noticed people hanging out there. 

One suggestion for summer visitors is to do like locals do. Go out sightseeing early, then come back and take a "siesta" in the mid-day heat. 

Places to stay out of the heat: anywhere underground (catacombs, ruins, etc.), museums, churches (many have great art). Some restaurants have those misters outside to help keep cool. Eat gelato and drink lots of water.

We just got back from Rome. And yea, it was 100+ and miserable. We stayed at the W which had a lounge inside as well as a rooftop bar and pool. The AC worked wonderfully. Lots of dotage and closets in our room. We found a few restaurants we could pop into with ac for lunch. Il Nuovo Farò near the Trevi fountain and Ciro Trattoria were both good. 

10 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I realize the temps are unseasonably hot there right now, as well as many other places. If it were to be like this next summer, 100+, what is there to do in Rome to escape the heat?  Something that wouldn’t involve a long queue.

The famous Vatican Scavi Tour is a great ticket to get during the summer, if you can get it. 

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Remember when you were asking questions about the heat? 😉

I do. I was thinking Charlotte heat, not 100+. Lol🔥 

The Albergo del Senato has good A/C, also closets with hanging space and shelves for storage. I think the nightstands also have a couple of small drawers. Rooms also have a mini-fridge, electric kettle with tea and coffee packets and a safe. 

There's not really a lounge per se, there's a bar off the lobby but I've not really noticed people hanging out there. 

Thank you. This is very helpful!  Everyone talks about how small the rooms are and someone mentioned living out of his suitcase so I wasn’t sure. Will our suitcases fit under the bed like in the ships?  

One suggestion for summer visitors is to do like locals do. Go out sightseeing early, then come back and take a "siesta" in the mid-day heat. 

Places to stay out of the heat: anywhere underground (catacombs, ruins, etc.), museums, churches (many have great art). Some restaurants have those misters outside to help keep cool. Eat gelato and drink lots of water.

We just started discussing this possibility after seeing how hot it was. It’s also making us consider HS since their junior suites are more affordable. 

A long, leisurely lunch in A/C would be nice. Gelato is a great idea!  May have to do it daily to keep cool. Will there be long lines for the underground attractions when it’s this hot?  

2 hours ago, gail-s said:

We just got back from Rome. And yea, it was 100+ and miserable. We stayed at the W which had a lounge inside as well as a rooftop bar and pool. The AC worked wonderfully. Lots of dotage and closets in our room. We found a few restaurants we could pop into with ac for lunch. Il Nuovo Farò near the Trevi fountain and Ciro Trattoria were both good. 

A pool would be awesome in 100+!  The W looks amazing, but well out of our budget. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. 

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

The famous Vatican Scavi Tour is a great ticket to get during the summer, if you can get it. 

I will check it out. Thanks.  Speaking of the Vatican, it says knees and shoulders must be covered. Can men wear knee length shorts or are they required to wear long pants?  

41 minutes ago, marazul said:

The Domus Aurea tour is also underground and really cool - temps and sightseeing.

Thanks. I will look into this as well. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Shorts are fine. 

As long as they are at the knee, if not covering it. I wouldn't try to get wearing anything shorter. Although I suppose at times the guards let people through, you can't count on it.

Bringing along a large lightweight scarf/pareo that can be put over the shoulders or wrapped at the waist is a good insurance policy.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I will check it out. Thanks.  Speaking of the Vatican, it says knees and shoulders must be covered. Can men wear knee length shorts or are they required to wear long pants?  

Thanks. I will look into this as well. 

In response to one of your earlier questions, the Albergo del Senato doesn't have any awesome indoor public spaces that are worth hanging out during an afternoon to ride out the summer heat.  The closest thing they have is a parlor room with a wet bar but it is more suited to sipping a drink rather than relaxing with a book.  Here is a photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.5f9d51e525924d0230c13c47243f11e7.jpeg

As far as proper attire is concerned at the Vatican, there were people who were wearing longer shorts when we visited in October.  Here are is a photo to give you an idea.  That day was not hot so most people wore long pants (including us).

image.thumb.jpeg.7fe4891b68fe7a0c999c87dcb71c547c.jpeg

Finally, if are looking for an excuse to really splurge to avoid the heat, you could take the VIP Key Master's Tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.  It is an exclusive two hour pre-dawn tour with the Vatican Museum Key Master as he unlocks the doors and turns on the lights.  It will set you back around $450 per person and you will have to get up when it is still dark outside to do it.  You will completely beat the crowds and the heat.  You can make up for your lost sleep by napping at your hotel later during the hot afternoon.  I did not book it during our visit last October but it will be something I will be thinking about it when we return someday.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f6fd7bd511e41a4768a11fec71aedaf.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

This tour sounds very interesting.  Looking at the website, it looks like reservations need to be made via fax.  Is anyone aware of a method to making a reservation?  Otherwise, I’ll look for a way to fax.

Also, does anyone know how far in advance can we make reservations?

21 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

This tour sounds very interesting.  Looking at the website, it looks like reservations need to be made via fax.  Is anyone aware of a method to making a reservation?  Otherwise, I’ll look for a way to fax.

Also, does anyone know how far in advance can we make reservations?

I was able to make my request via the "Contact Us" form on the Ufficio Scavi web page which is an option that I had read that others were able to do even though the Scavi website only says fax. 

I don't recall how far in advance you can secure reservations.  I can tell you that I received a confirmation email on Apr 25 for a tour on Oct 21.  So you can book at least 6 months in advance.  I don't have the date that I sent in my request, but the turnaround time was fairly short--perhaps a couple of days.

image.png.91a6d81b9fb7f26583a49b52154f4af0.png

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As long as they are at the knee, if not covering it. I wouldn't try to get wearing anything shorter. Although I suppose at times the guards let people through, you can't count on it.

Bringing along a large lightweight scarf/pareo that can be put over the shoulders or wrapped at the waist is a good insurance policy.

I won’t wear shorts, I was thinking of dh. He’s not going to want to wear long pants in the heat of the summer. He grumbles when I ask him to wear them in the dining room on cruises, but he does when required.  He’s not that tall so many of his shorts are really long. 

37 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

In response to one of your earlier questions, the Albergo del Senato doesn't have any awesome indoor public spaces that are worth hanging out during an afternoon to ride out the summer heat.  The closest thing they have is a parlor room with a wet bar but it is more suited to sipping a drink rather than relaxing with a book.  Here is a photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.5f9d51e525924d0230c13c47243f11e7.jpeg

If we got up early to start touring, a cocktail would probably make it easy to fall asleep. 

37 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

As far as proper attire is concerned at the Vatican, there were people who were wearing longer shorts when we visited in October.  Here are is a photo to give you an idea.  That day was not hot so most people wore long pants (including us).

image.thumb.jpeg.7fe4891b68fe7a0c999c87dcb71c547c.jpeg

Finally, if are looking for an excuse to really splurge to avoid the heat, you could take the VIP Key Master's Tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.  It is an exclusive two hour pre-dawn tour with the Vatican Museum Key Master as he unlocks the doors and turns on the lights.  It will set you back around $450 per person and you will have to get up when it is still dark outside to do it.  You will completely beat the crowds and the heat.  You can make up for your lost sleep by napping at your hotel later during the hot afternoon.  I did not book it during our visit last October but it will be something I will be thinking about it when we return someday.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f6fd7bd511e41a4768a11fec71aedaf.jpeg

That’s how dh wear his shorts so it looks like he will be fine. 

While I’d be willing to get up early for that tour, I’m not willing to pay $900 for it!! 

52 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I was able to make my request via the "Contact Us" form on the Ufficio Scavi web page which is an option that I had read that others were able to do even though the Scavi website only says fax. 

I don't recall how far in advance you can secure reservations.  I can tell you that I received a confirmation email on Apr 25 for a tour on Oct 21.  So you can book at least 6 months in advance.  I don't have the date that I sent in my request, but the turnaround time was fairly short--perhaps a couple of days.

image.png.91a6d81b9fb7f26583a49b52154f4af0.png

Thank you so much for this information! I will use the contact us form.  Will make a note to reserve six months in advance.  Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Thank you so much for this information! I will use the contact us form.  Will make a note to reserve six months in advance.  Thanks again!

You should be able to book the Scavi tour up to 6 months in advance.  They are going to need the full name of everyone in your group.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, katmu said:

You should be able to book the Scavi tour up to 6 months in advance.  They are going to need the full name of everyone in your group.

Awesome!  Thank you for this Info!