Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

4 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Finally, if are looking for an excuse to really splurge to avoid the heat, you could take the VIP Key Master's Tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.  It is an exclusive two hour pre-dawn tour with the Vatican Museum Key Master as he unlocks the doors and turns on the lights.  It will set you back around $450 per person and you will have to get up when it is still dark outside to do it.

I wish they offered special access tours like this for ancient Roman sites. I'd love to have a "behind the scenes" access tour for the Capitoline Museum or the Museo Nazionale alle Terme. I can only imagine what treasures are hidden in their storerooms and cupboards.

I was fortunate enough to go on a tour with a specialty agency that afforded our (small) tour group the ability to literally walk through the basement storerooms at the Museum in Paestum. Our guide was literally shifting painted frescoes stacked vertically, like looking at prints in a store!  

I've also seen a documentary on YouTube where a famous Italian archaeologist and TV presenter took the audience on a "behind the scenes" tour of the Naples Archaeological Museum.

I would pay $450 for a similar experience in person!

• Like 4

We booked a Superior room at Albergo del Senato June 22-27 (a superior wasn't available the other end of the week) and the Amalfi Coast from the 27-30th.  We need a room for the 30th for a flight out the morning of the 1st.  Is there a budget friendly hotel either near the airport or just another part of Rome we may miss earlier in the week, that will allow us a 1 night stay?  It doesn't have to be fancy or have a view, just clean and comfortable.

11 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked a Superior room at Albergo del Senato June 22-27 (a superior wasn't available the other end of the week) and the Amalfi Coast from the 27-30th.  We need a room for the 30th for a flight out the morning of the 1st.  Is there a budget friendly hotel either near the airport or just another part of Rome we may miss earlier in the week, that will allow us a 1 night stay?  It doesn't have to be fancy or have a view, just clean and comfortable.

Since I usually take the train to/from the airport and to Civitavecchia, I tend to stay over in the Termini district.  There is a wide selection of 2 and 3 star hotels over there, (and a couple of 4 stars, I believe). It might not be the most fashionable part of the city, but I think it's less "touristy" and much more "Roman".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Since I usually take the train to/from the airport and to Civitavecchia, I tend to stay over in the Termini district.  There is a wide selection of 2 and 3 star hotels over there, (and a couple of 4 stars, I believe). It might not be the most fashionable part of the city, but I think it's less "touristy" and much more "Roman".

Thank you!  I hadn't even considered yet how we would get to the airport.

24 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Connections to and from Rome Fiumicino Airport - Trenitalia

I've taken the Leonardo Express and it is a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to get to Rome.

Thanks for the link!  We booked the Hotel Colosseum, which is apx. a half mile from the train station.  Thanks for the link.  I assume it's similar to the states, where we need to arrive at the airport a couple hours prior to our flight or does it take longer there?

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks for the link!  We booked the Hotel Colosseum, which is apx. a half mile from the train station.  Thanks for the link.  I assume it's similar to the states, where we need to arrive at the airport a couple hours prior to our flight or does it take longer there?

TBH, I flew into FCO and took the train into Rome, not the other way around.  My cruise was a TA, so ended in Florida.  That said, I'd try to arrive 3 hours before the flight, just to be safe.  Others may have better advice.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Congratulations on booking your superior double at the Albergo del Senato.  I guess you somehow found a way to book 4 nights.

19 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If this is a flight to the US you should be there 3 hours in advance. If it is to somewhere within the EU, then 2 to 2.5 hours is enough. (I err on the side of caution as getting through FCO can be very slow at times.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Congratulations on booking your superior double at the Albergo del Senato.  I guess you somehow found a way to book 4 nights.

The heat wave prompted a completely new itinerary, a month earlier.  The one I initially wanted but said absolutely not!   We ended up with 5 nights at AdS.  😁

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

If this is a flight to the US you should be there 3 hours in advance. If it is to somewhere within the EU, then 2 to 2.5 hours is enough. (I err on the side of caution as getting through FCO can be very slow at times.)

This is our flight to Athens.  Btw, the hotel you suggested is already booked up in Venice for our date(s), as is the Hotel Rialto.  😞  It's the only place I've been unsuccessful in getting what I wanted.

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The heat wave prompted a completely new itinerary, a month earlier.  The one I initially wanted but said absolutely not!   We ended up with 5 nights at AdS.  😁

Oops. I miscounted.  Five nights was the length of our reservation there this past October. It will go fast.

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Oops. I miscounted.  Five nights was the length of our reservation there this past October. It will go fast.

I'm sure it will!  We tried booking 6 but it wasn't available.  I think that's why he gave us a discount.  We were able to take 5 nights in a row when he had that room open.

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm sure it will!  We tried booking 6 but it wasn't available.  I think that's why he gave us a discount.  We were able to take 5 nights in a row when he had that room open.

Isola Sacra Rome Airport Hotel, this is where I am staying near the Rome airport:
Via della Scafa, 416
00054 - Fiumicino
Phone: + 39 06 650 29 864
e-mail: info@hotelisolasacra.com

On 7/15/2023 at 1:39 PM, mthomp5 said:

Thank you so much for this information! I will use the contact us form.  Will make a note to reserve six months in advance.  Thanks again!

I just received confirmation of this Scavi tour for mid-November 2023.  I sent in my information on Sunday.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I just received confirmation of this Scavi tour for mid-November 2023.  I sent in my information on Sunday.

It's a great tour. I did it years ago but am being tempted to do it again on my next visit.

19 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Did you communicate your request using the Contact Form on the official website or via fax?

4 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Awesome!  Great to know they still have slots even though less than 6 months. And they got back to you rather quickly,  I have a ways to go.  We’re sailing in 2025. But I will be doing this tour then!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Depending on when You travel and when it is implemented.  There will probably be a six month grace period, although everyone should check the new requirements for  Your passport  which includes extra pages for etias stamping

5 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Depending on when You travel and when it is implemented.  There will probably be a six month grace period, although everyone should check the new requirements for  Your passport  which includes extra pages for etias stamping

Are you saying we will need new passports?

6 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months validity recommended, at least 3 months validity beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area.

BLANK PASSPORT PAGES: Two Pages required for entry stamp.
Probably will not start according to EU website until 2024, and then probably 6 month grace period for the  entry data bank to be enacted.

Just now, Seaworthy71 said:
PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months validity recommended, at least 3 months validity beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area.

BLANK PASSPORT PAGES: Two Pages required for entry stamp.
Probably will not start according to EU website until 2024, and then probably 6 month grace period for the  entry data bank to be enacted.

I think passport cannot be older than 10 Years.