Kilauea Volcano erupts again on the Big Island of Hawaii

vivian02

I was on the Sapphire sailing to Hawaii last November and we never made it to Hilo because of "high surf" at the time. Instead we sailed into Kona for Thanksgiving. Three days later sailing back to the mainland we find out Kilauea erupts?#! So, the wife and I decide to return to Hawaii in August on the Emerald Princess to see what is left of the observation area at Volcano National park. The Geological observatory at Volcano National park is all gated off probably because of the instability of the buildings at the park. The picture attached is what the area looked like one month ago. This evening I hear that Kilauea has once again erupted. Missed this eruption by one month. Anyone on the Big Island today probably has stories to tell. The only cruise ships in Hawaii this week is Pride of America. DSC09656.thumb.JPG.89b3d2338f1c39ee10c15198d66c3f4b.JPG

It has been erupting for at least 40 to 50 years. I was there in 1989 and drove to the southern tip of the island. Witnessed a lava waterfall plunging into the ocean forming new land. It was quite spectacular, very hot and very sulfur smelling. 

Sorry to read that several folks were not able to visit Volcano National Park. I have been there 3 or 4 times and it is always a place to remember, Nothing else like it. I hope that all of you get a chance to visit the Park again some day.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:47 AM, skynight said:

It has been erupting for at least 40 to 50 years. I was there in 1989 and drove to the southern tip of the island. Witnessed a lava waterfall plunging into the ocean forming new land. It was quite spectacular, very hot and very sulfur smelling. 

Kilauea has been erupting my whole life, which is more than 60 years. When I was a toddler, Kilauea Iki was erupting and we went over to Hilo for Thanksgiving 1959 (from Oahu) to celebrate with members of my mother's family. This was what we saw.

vhp_img3039.jpg?itok=Il2QvRPh

My father took some spectacular pictures, especially of the fountain and of the very slowly moving lava flow. He has sequence shots as the lava, moving at about a foot every 30 seconds, engulfed an outer building at a school. Life was so different in those days, and Hawaii especially so laid back, that the firemen on scene allowed us kids to move forward and throw sticks on the lava so we could watch them disintegrate immediately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1