Queens Grill - packed lunch?

Thetis22

Have booked a Queens Grill cruise for 2024. Our only previous experience was a TA, so no stops. I'm wondering if you can get a packed lunch made to take on shore with you? If so, do you request in the restaurant/from the butler, how much notice do they need, is there even a packed lunch menu? Thank you

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Also, there may be pesky rules about importing foodstuffs.

Unfortunately many (most?) ports ban taking any food or drink off the ship.  Sometimes there are Labrador or beagle quarantine detection dogs to assist with enforcement.   I always thought our two labradors would have made great quarantine dogs in their day.  They could find sausages or cheese in anything!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The last time I got a packed lunch from Cunard was about twenty years ago.

Lunch packages at that time were tasty and substantial. One had to arrange with the maitre the day before and the packed lunch was waiting at breakfast time.

I never was offered one since but then I did not ask. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Unfortunately many (most?) ports ban taking any food or drink off the ship.  Sometimes there are Labrador or beagle quarantine detection dogs to assist with enforcement.   I always thought our two labradors would have made great quarantine dogs in their day.  They could find sausages or cheese in anything!

Thanks - this makes sense!

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Witnessed a lady at Brooklyn on a T A  excursion last month  very upset that the dog on duty had sniffed out her ham roll  she had made  at breakfast to eat during the morning. It was confiscated. 

My wife got the attention of a food-sniffing dog at the international bag claim in ATL. Took a while to figure out the dog was smelling the bacon roll she had stuck in her pocket (wrapped in a napkin) and eaten in the car on the way to our departure airport about 8 or 9 hours earlier.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

My wife got the attention of a food-sniffing dog ...

I once got the attention of a drug dog.

Getting back onto the ferry in Stornoway after one of my regular work trips the dog sat at my feet and tilted its head to the left. Before I even had a chance to panic the handler asked, "Black pudding?" I looked at the carrier bag in my hand then nodded. "You only need to worry if she tilts her head to the right. But she loves black pudding." For those who don't know, Stornoway is famous for it's black pudding and I always brought two or three home with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I once got the attention of a drug dog.

Getting back onto the ferry in Stornoway after one of my regular work trips the dog sat at my feet and tilted its head to the left. Before I even had a chance to panic the handler asked, "Black pudding?" I looked at the carrier bag in my hand then nodded. "You only need to worry if she tilts her head to the right. But she loves black pudding." For those who don't know, Stornoway is famous for it's black pudding and I always brought two or three home with me.

Did you offer to share?

Australia is very strict about taking food off the ship. The captain or officer of the watch had to read the long script about not bringing certain items ashore. In a couple of ports, we were asked to stand along a line, and then the dog was released with the command, "Find it, mate!" I never saw anyone stopped, but I later met a woman who was stopped because her tote bag still smelled of the banana she had taken from the buffet and eaten the afternoon before. 

• Like 1