Another one of those "can I make this flight" questions

Needzavacation

Is your ship docking at PortMiami or Port Everglades? That would make some difference.

It being a Saturday means traffic should be better than a weekday, but then again it's a holiday weekend, so you might want to have, at a minimum, a good backup plan.

1 hour ago, Needzavacation said:

Our flight from Miami to DFW on 30 December was just changed from 11:40 to 10:40. Personally, that's cutting it a little close, but options to change are slim at this late date. Any opinions on how stressed we should be with the 10:40 flight? Thanks to all the experts!

Can you  get on another flight a bit later in the day?

Refund for that airline?

Security lines can be  backed up  especially on a Holiday  weekend

13 hours ago, Needzavacation said:

Our flight from Miami to DFW on 30 December was just changed from 11:40 to 10:40. Personally, that's cutting it a little close, but options to change are slim at this late date. Any opinions on how stressed we should be with the 10:40 flight? Thanks to all the experts!

More stress than you need at the end of a relaxing vacation. If you are on AA, make them change to a later flight from FLL or MIA; there are plenty to DFW. We never walk off the ship, we stay as long as we can and relax and enjoy the final moments of the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to ask, but I have not disembarked in Miami in a long time. HAL moved the embark/disembark port from FLL to Miami. FLL has me spoiled, with the luggage service and easy taxi to the airport. Last winter, it was 30 minutes from leaving the ship to a mimosa in the United lounge. I don't expect that this winter in Miami.

So here's my problem.  I booked a 12:30 flight on United. They just moved it to 11:21. There are six ships, more than 15,000 people at the port that day. It's the Saturday of Presidents Day weekend. So is the 11:21 flight doable? 

I could change to 2:30, but I really don't want to hang around at the airport for hours, and there's no United Club (I get passes from my credit card). 

I could do self-disembark in order to make that flight. How available are taxis at the port at the early hour? FWIW, Zaandam is scheduled to be in first at 5 AM, two ships at 6, one at 7, and one at 8. IF this turns out to be true, we should be the first ship to disembark passengers. But that's a big IF.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I hate to ask, but I have not disembarked in Miami in a long time. HAL moved the embark/disembark port from FLL to Miami. FLL has me spoiled, with the luggage service and easy taxi to the airport. Last winter, it was 30 minutes from leaving the ship to a mimosa in the United lounge. I don't expect that this winter in Miami.

So here's my problem.  I booked a 12:30 flight on United. They just moved it to 11:21. There are six ships, more than 15,000 people at the port that day. It's the Saturday of Presidents Day weekend. So is the 11:21 flight doable? 

I could change to 2:30, but I really don't want to hang around at the airport for hours, and there's no United Club (I get passes from my credit card). 

I could do self-disembark in order to make that flight. How available are taxis at the port at the early hour? FWIW, Zaandam is scheduled to be in first at 5 AM, two ships at 6, one at 7, and one at 8. IF this turns out to be true, we should be the first ship to disembark passengers. But that's a big IF.

Rough rule of thumb:  If you think you should ask if the flight is too early, then it probably is.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:37 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Rough rule of thumb:  If you think you should ask if the flight is too early, then it probably is.

Like if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The problem is, I don't know Miami airport well. If I were flying out of FLL, I would have no question--that's an easy connection. Since United will let me change flights for free, I'll watch availability of seats on other flights and put off the decision for now.

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Like if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The problem is, I don't know Miami airport well. If I were flying out of FLL, I would have no question--that's an easy connection. Since United will let me change flights for free, I'll watch availability of seats on other flights and put off the decision for now.

Yes, pretty much like that but more of this:  if you have to ask, then that shows you realize you're cutting things very close.  Do you really want to worry about making the flight?  Would that worry distract from enjoying the cruise?  Is spending a few hours less in the airport worth the worry?  Those are personal issues that only you can decide.  Personnally, I like to build some slack in travel plans.  I've had too many trips blow up because of tight connections where I was left at the mercy of the airlines to make changes.