Japan Tour Ideas

villauk

1 minute ago, hubofhockey said:

Reading more on this, best way to see Miyajima is to take a train from Hiroshima Station to Miyajima-Gucci Station and then walk five minutes to the ferry port for a 10 minute ferry ride.  The 45 minute ferry that Celebrity uses doesn't run return routes past the 5 pm hour.  The train and 10 minute ferry will run even past when the ship departs.  The Celebrity excursion, with only two hours on the island, kind of leaves you rushing around.  

The cruise port to Hiroshima Station is an 8-minute taxi.  Hiroshima Station to Miyajima-Gucci is 28 minutes.  It's a 5 minute walk to the ferry and a 10 minute ferry.  All in all, it's about an hour.  The ship docks at 1 pm and departs at 10 pm.  Should be at Miyajima by 2:30 pm and would leave around 7 for cushion, making for 4.5 to 5.0 hours on Miyajima.  

Thanks for the information. When do you sail? I believe the first X cruise to Japan starts tomorrow. I do hope that someone does a ‘live from’ or even post-cruise review 👍.

On 9/30/2023 at 6:35 AM, villauk said:

Thanks for the information. When do you sail? I believe the first X cruise to Japan starts tomorrow. I do hope that someone does a ‘live from’ or even post-cruise review 👍.

Haha, I am on 30th Sept sailing, currently overnight in Kobe, and move to Osaka terminal at 4 am. I spent 5 days pre-cruise in Kyoto, most of the attractions are crowded from 10am till 4pm. I took a train from Kobe to Himeji for Himeji Castle which is not crowded.

7 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Haha, I am on 30th Sept sailing, currently overnight in Kobe, and move to Osaka terminal at 4 am. I spent 5 days pre-cruise in Kyoto, most of the attractions are crowded from 10am till 4pm. I took a train from Kobe to Himeji for Himeji Castle which is not crowded.

Thank you. How are you finding the ship?

3 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Looking forward to reading reports (and YouTube videos) on the Millennium in Japan.  I'm assuming the attractions will be just as crowded next May.  We are there a week AFTER golden week, so maybe we'll catch a break.

Did you enjoy Kyoto, despite the crowds?  We have a 1/2 day, full day, and then end with a half day before taking the train to Yokohama.  

Hey, since your handle is "monkey@cruise", did you get to the Monkey Park and did you do it on the same day with the bamboo forest?   Was hoping to walk through the bamboo forest and then go to the monkey park and then head back to the hotel for lunch and then train to the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The ship is dated and meals are plain. Food on shore is better.

Oh, that is a shame. Is it mashed potatoes with everything, like some on the main X board have been saying?

What has the entertainment been like? Did they have any local/traditional acts on the ship? Just trying to get a feel of what to expect. TIA.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Oh, that is a shame. Is it mashed potatoes with everything, like some on the main X board have been saying?

What has the entertainment been like? Did they have any local/traditional acts on the ship? Just trying to get a feel of what to expect. TIA.

For my 30th September, 2023 sailing, my personal comment: Celebrity cruise fare but Carnival cruise food. Some food were either over or under cooked. So port intensive, I only watch two shows: a Singaporean magician and Japan Drum show performed by local when overnight in Osaka. If your cabin on starboard side, every port will see welcome and farewell shows perform by locals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, hubofhockey said:

Looking forward to reading reports (and YouTube videos) on the Millennium in Japan.  I'm assuming the attractions will be just as crowded next May.  We are there a week AFTER golden week, so maybe we'll catch a break.

Did you enjoy Kyoto, despite the crowds?  We have a 1/2 day, full day, and then end with a half day before taking the train to Yokohama.  

Hey, since your handle is "monkey@cruise", did you get to the Monkey Park and did you do it on the same day with the bamboo forest?   Was hoping to walk through the bamboo forest and then go to the monkey park and then head back to the hotel for lunch and then train to the cruise.

The weather was extreme hot (95F) while I was in Kyoto. When weather cool off in late afternoon, I took the JR train from Kyoto station to Saga-Arashiyama Station for Arashiyama forest. The Arashiyama Monkey Park located south of Katsura River 1.5 mile walk and hike a hill, so I didn't go. You will love exploring in Kyoto than in Tokyo. Cost of living in Kyoto is much cheaper, I bought a Uniqlo Japanese Art T-shirt for 1500 yen in Kyoto, where in Asakusa (Tokyo) Uniqlo selling for 1950 yen. I rode the Nozomi Shinkansen green car from Kyoto to Shin-Yokohama, then transfer Yokohama Line to Sakuragichō Station (taxi stand is 200 feet away and taxi fare to cruise terminal is 1,00 yen). I will return Japan in March and August, 2024.