Japan Tour Ideas

villauk

We, party of 7, are sailing on Millennium next August and have just started investigating port ideas. Are there any must-see visits in the following ports that anyone would recommend, and are any of them easy to do independently or is a guide required? We usually mix between local guides/tour operators and DIY - our party includes adult children (20s) if that makes any difference and we have no mobility issues. Any information or ideas would be greatly received. Additionally, any hotels that one would recommend in Yokohama for a few days pre-cruise? TIA

Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan
Day 3  | Kobe, Japan
Day 4  | Kyoto (Osaka), Japan
Day 5  | Kyoto (Osaka), Japan
Day 6  | Hiroshima, Japan
Day 7  | At Sea
Day 8  | Nagasaki, Japan
Day 9  | Jeju Island, South Korea
Day 10  | Kagoshima, Japan
Day 12 | Mt Fuji (Shimizu)

Thanks for starting this inquiry as I would be on the Millennium this coming Nov and there is a port change from Ishigaki to Nagasaki.

I too would like to find out what might be the interesting spots to see and do during this port visit. 

• Like 2

Never been to Japan....but heading there next month!!!

We are spending 5 nights at the Yokohama Bay Sheraton and Towers.....Why?

It's near the cruise ship pier (a few stops on the rail line), It's across from Yokohama station (so we can take day trips via rail to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanazawa) and we can take the Narita Express train to Narita when  done....and we used points. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

It's near the cruise ship pier (a few stops on the rail line), It's across from Yokohama station (so we can take day trips via rail to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanazawa) and we can take the Narita Express train to Narita when  done....and we used points. 

Thanks for the hotel information; I’ll check it out. I would be very grateful if you could post any details of tours etc. after your cruise that you think will help us. Have a wonderful time in Japan.

19 minutes ago, villauk said:

Thanks for the hotel information; I’ll check it out. I would be very grateful if you could post any details of tours etc. after your cruise that you think will help us. Have a wonderful time in Japan.

Will do!

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 2:15 PM, agape01 said:

Thanks for starting this inquiry as I would be on the Millennium this coming Nov and there is a port change from Ishigaki to Nagasaki.

I too would like to find out what might be the interesting spots to see and do during this port visit. 

In Nagasaki: Peace Park, Nagasaki Chinatown, Edomachi, Glover Garden....

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Note that for Shinkansen trips from Yokohama, although a few Shinkansen go through Yokohama Station, many do not. Instead you need to go to Shin-Yokohama Station to catch them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

In Nagasaki: Peace Park, Nagasaki Chinatown, Edomachi, Glover Garden....

Is the Peace Park easy to access independently on public transport or would you recommend a guide? Any other recommendations for our other ports would be gratefully received. TIA.

Edited by villauk

21 hours ago, villauk said:

You might be better off spending pre-cruise days and nights in Tokyo and Kyoto. If you just want to do day trips and not enjoy the night life, maybe Yokohama makes more sense.  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, villauk said:

Is the Peace Park easy to access independently on public transport or would you recommend a guide? Any other recommendations for our other ports would be gratefully received. TIA.

Inside the Cruise Terminal information staff will give you maps and tell you where to get the tram. From cruise terminal, about 800 feet is tram O-Urakaigandori Station (Nagasaki Denki #5 Green Line) (For Hotarujaya): off at Shinchi Chinatown Station transfer to  (Nagasaki Denki #1 Blue Line) ( For Akasako, or Urakami Tram Depot): off at Off at Peace Park 平和公園停留場. Peach Park is 3 min walk from the tram stop. If you have the one-day pass, all you need to do is show the driver, jump off the tram and head for the next one. 

The park is quite large but not rambling, it is full of concrete walkways between exhibits by nations all over the world; most of the exhibits are statuary of varying sizes plus the very large city memorial that overshadows that end of the park. You need a guide if you want peace of mind on tram transport, interpreter on Peach park exhibits.
https://nagasakipeace.jp/en/

If you feel comfortable navigate on Japan public transport, most of the ports can be DYI.

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

Inside the Cruise Terminal information staff will give you maps and tell you where to get the tram. From cruise terminal, about 800 feet is tram O-Urakaigandori Station (Nagasaki Denki #5 Green Line) (For Hotarujaya): off at Shinchi Chinatown Station transfer to  (Nagasaki Denki #1 Blue Line) ( For Akasako, or Urakami Tram Depot): off at Off at Peace Park 平和公園停留場. Peach Park is 3 min walk from the tram stop. If you have the one-day pass, all you need to do is show the driver, jump off the tram and head for the next one. 

The park is quite large but not rambling, it is full of concrete walkways between exhibits by nations all over the world; most of the exhibits are statuary of varying sizes plus the very large city memorial that overshadows that end of the park. You need a guide if you want peace of mind on tram transport, interpreter on Peach park exhibits.
https://nagasakipeace.jp/en/

If you feel comfortable navigate on Japan public transport, most of the ports can be DYI.

Thank you so much for the very useful information. We used the public transport system in HK, so we’ll always give it a go if it’s easy enough 👍. Can we purchase the one-day pass at the cruise terminal?

Edited by villauk

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Thank you so much for the very useful information. We used the public transport system in HK, so we’ll always give it a go if it’s easy enough 👍. Can we purchase the one-day pass at the cruise terminal?

You can purchase the tram day pass from cruise terminal tourist center, if you are computer savvy, you can purchase as e-pass on your smartphone.
https://ticket.jorudan.co.jp/naga-den/en/

I will post you Kobe port DIY option:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, villauk said:

@villauk

Nagasaki tour info:

https://www.peace-nagasaki.go.jp/en/guide
https://www.peace-nagasaki.go.jp/docs/himekuriwalk-en.pdf
https://www.keirinkai.or.jp/nagasaki-walks/faq/

• Thanks 2

@villauk

KOBE:
Ship will dock at Kobe cruise terminal, subway staion - Port Terminal (Portliner) is outside the cruise terminal.
- take an hour tain to Himeji - Himeji castle.
- City of Kobe may offer free shuttle to Kobe Damaru, a city loop bus stop (HOHO) is nearby, you can ride the city loop and harbour loop bus till 8:00pm,  or take the subway to Sannomiya Station (5 min), there is a tourist center where the loop bus pass is also available. 
  https://kobeloop.bus-japan.net/
  Kobe Chinatown map: https://www.nankinmachi.or.jp/map/map_en.pdf

13 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

KOBE:
Ship will dock at Kobe cruise terminal, subway staion - Port Terminal (Portliner) is outside the cruise terminal.
- take an hour tain to Himeji - Himeji castle.
- City of Kobe may offer free shuttle to Kobe Damaru, a city loop bus stop (HOHO) is nearby, you can ride the city loop and harbour loop bus till 8:00pm,  or take the subway to Sannomiya Station (5 min), there is a tourist center where the loop bus pass is also available. 
  https://kobeloop.bus-japan.net/
  Kobe Chinatown map: https://www.nankinmachi.or.jp/map/map_en.pdf

Thank you for all this wonderful information. I’m putting together a document so all the others in our party can see these great ideas for visits. We haven’t got the same deals over here as the North American pax have been receiving on their ship tours with Celebrity i.e. up to 45% off, so we know most of their tours will probably be booked and we do prefer independent tours to be honest. Therefore, your suggestions are ideal for us travelling in a group. 

I have one question regarding the guides for the Peace Park: do they meet you and travel on the tram with you or do you meet them there? Sorry, I was just a little confused on the meeting point. I’m going to message them from the link you provided and book the personal 4 hour guide for up to 10 persons (we already have 7 in our party anyway), just hoping they have a guide available for our date 🤞🏻.

Thanks again and any other suggestions you have at our other ports would be gratefully received.

2 hours ago, villauk said:

I have one question regarding the guides for the Peace Park: do they meet you and travel on the tram with you or do you meet them there? Sorry, I was just a little confused on the meeting point. I’m going to message them from the link you provided and book the personal 4 hour guide for up to 10 persons (we already have 7 in our party anyway), just hoping they have a guide available for our date 🤞🏻.

Nagasaki Walks is a volunteer guide organization that provides hospitality and English guidance for tourists. I also use volunteer guides in some Japanese ports to lower the tours cost.

Their website hasn't been updated since 2021, if paying 4,000-5,000 yen /10 people hour, it is a steal !
Why not hire the guide for the day (6-7 hours), he/she will meet you at the cruise terminal (Meeting Point: Matsugae International Cruise Terminal), guided tour for Peace Park, Nagasaki Chinatown, Edomachi and Glover Garden, ...

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 10:43 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Note that for Shinkansen trips from Yokohama, although a few Shinkansen go through Yokohama Station, many do not. Instead you need to go to Shin-Yokohama Station to catch them.

Yep.  

And Shin Yokohama Station seems to be an easy 11 minute connection from Yokohama station....via JR so can use our JR Pass all the way.

I've found the "Japan Official Travel App" to be a great source for train schedules.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Yep.  

And Shin Yokohama Station seems to be an easy 11 minute connection from Yokohama station....via JR so can use our JR Pass all the way.

I've found the "Japan Official Travel App" to be a great source for train schedules.

Yokohama Line is a JR line services link Shin-Yokohama Station and Yokohama Station in around 10 minutes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Thank you. I’m going to investigate the best places now to visit on the HOHO route.

Are there any specific experiences whilst in Japan that we shouldn’t miss?  That includes any tours/shows etc. that we could pre-book. Many thanks.

12 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Really like the look of Sengan-en to visit 👍.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

As a side note, would you say an 11.45am flight from HND post cruise is feasible? If so, what would you recommend as the best form of transport to ensure we make the flight (7 in our group).

Since you are travelling in a large group with luggage, will be a logistical challenge for you. 

In Japan, most airllines advise at least two - three hours before international flight departure. 
It is to ensure that you may have sufficient time to check-in, check your baggage, pass security screening and immigration and arrive to the boarding gate.

I suggest pre-arrange private transfer to Haneda airport to catch your flight, because be expect queuing for taxi. It takes 30 - 40 min travelling time from cruise terminal to Haneda airport. Also depend how fast you can disembark from the ship. In general, afternoon flight out is preferred.