Symphony Life Boats and Blocked Views

Cliosophic

Could someone kindly tell me if the lifeboats block the fore and aft views from the Crystal Penthouse Suites on Deck 8?  It appears from the deck plans that although life boats are not hanging in front of the windows, they are adjacent to the balcony and likely to make it feel a bit claustrophobic.  I ask because the Deck 8 Penthouse Suites have been refurbished which makes them a bit more attractive than the un-refurbished suites on Deck 10, but I am planning to  select a suite on Deck 10 because I would rather have a clear view than up-dated decor.  Thanks.

If the deck plans are anywhere near accurate, the bathroom window is the only part of the suite that’s actually near a lifeboat in the Deck 8 CPs, and since that part is built out from the superstructure, the lifeboat shouldn’t instruct the view.  If you climbed in the tub and got up to the window, and looked completely to the side, I don’t know if you would see that lifeboat or not, but that should be the only way to see a lifeboat from any of the windows.

Similarly, with the bathroom and dining area built out you can’t see the lifeboats from inside the balcony, but if you stick your head over the railing and look fore or aft you’ll be able to see part of the lifeboats.  The deck 10 CP’s work the same way if you look down and aft, they’re just slightly further away and the boats are just in a different relative position.

I wouldn’t personally think that anything about the deck 8 CP’s would be claustrophobic, but I know some people are sensitive to being able to see any part of the ship or lifeboats anywhere in their view no matter how far they stick their head out, so that’s why I was trying to be specific.

Vince

13 minutes ago, Cruisemonty said:

Do any of you have thoughts about the "limited view" 2017 Aquamarines on Deck 9 of Symphony? We booked the last midship cabin in that category and are hoping for the best.

The obstruction for the midship Aquamarines on Deck 9 are the lifeboats and tenders that hang under those suites. The regular lifeboat (it’s hard not to make that plural anymore) sits under the deck, but the cab of the tenders rise slightly above the deck, about to the top of the bulwark on the railings.  The davits for the tenders have components that rise above the railings, but it’s not a solid obstruction (IMHO).  If you google pictures of Symphony you can see exactly the degree of obstruction of each suite on deck 9.  Hope this helps a little.

Vince

14 minutes ago, Cruisemonty said:

Seems like a first world problem that we'll be able to live with! Thanks, Vince!

My pleasure!  I’d happily take one of those suites for the convenient and stable location because the small obstructions don’t bother me, but I know other people are the opposite so I try not to minimize the significance of the obstruction.  🙂

Vince

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

does anyone  know if the single cabin on deck 7, number 7007, is an obstructed view?  and if so, what is the obstruction?  what about cabins 7002, 3, 4, 5?  are they all obstructed or not?

thanks in advance for your answer.

David, I am providing the deck plan for Deck 7.  If you put your curser over a particular room it will say whether or not it is obstructed, partial or none plus you can see where the lifeboats are.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/ship/symphony?sm=undefined&d=7

The ones you asked about say slightly limited view and I think that is because of the height of the wall that you would look out to.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just adding a little bit to what Keith mentioned, in the sizzle reel video that runs on that page, there are a couple of shots of Symphony that really clearly show the exteriors of the forward cabins on deck 7 (at least briefly).  That also helps give you a visual about how minimally obstructed they are.  Like Keith said, the bulwark on the railing is probably the main obstruction they're considering, but unlike on Serenity, Symphony's promenade deck is recessed from deck 7, so you would have to be looking down and out to see that obstruction -- it's a little less in your line of sight than Serenity's.

Vince

• Thanks 2

Only because it has not been mentioned, I would say the main issue with the lifeboats / tenders is whether your cruise is tender port intensive. If it is bear in mind the early morning (generally) commotion and noise from the tenders being readied and lowered. A surprisingly noisy activity.

Of course on the plus side, once the tenders are off for the day there is no question of any view being obstructed!

Adrian  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We are booked in Aquamarine 9043 on Symphony.  The deck plan indicates unobstructed but might there be a tender or lifeboat below, or to the left/right of the cabin?  

Carole

38 minutes ago, caroak said:

We are booked in Aquamarine 9043 on Symphony.  The deck plan indicates unobstructed but might there be a tender or lifeboat below, or to the left/right of the cabin?  

Carole

Symphony's 9043 is sort of an interesting case in that regard, because the lifeboat that was previously (roughly) below that cabin was removed to make one of the new Crystal Penthouses on deck 8.  That said, if you stick your head out over the side of the ship you'll always see other parts of the ship that could be considered obstructions in some sense.  To directly answer your question though, no, there isn't a lifeboat under 9043, and there are no lifeboats on deck 9.  There isn't a nearby object that I would consider to be an obstruction, either above, below or on either side of 9043.

Vince

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caroak said:

Carole

Any room on decks 8 through 10 over or near a lifeboat is partially obstructed in the sense that you cannot look straight down as the lifeboats completely cover the Promenade Deck. 

12 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Symphony's 9043 is sort of an interesting case in that regard, because the lifeboat that was previously (roughly) below that cabin was removed to make one of the new Crystal Penthouses on deck 8.  That said, if you stick your head out over the side of the ship you'll always see other parts of the ship that could be considered obstructions in some sense.  To directly answer your question though, no, there isn't a lifeboat under 9043, and there are no lifeboats on deck 9.  There isn't a nearby object that I would consider to be an obstruction, either above, below or on either side of 9043.

Vince

Carole, I agree with Vince.

It looks indeed like you won't have a lifeboat right below you.  But if you look in either direction while standing up you will see lifeboats.

We were in 9066 a few years ago coincidentally on the same cruise that Vince was on.  This is not considered an obstructed Suite either and I feel that it was not as well.   If you sit in a chair you can look out and you have no obstructions.

In our case if you stood up and looked down you may or may not see the lifeboat below you if you are over one.  

To us it was no big deal.

I've included photos from the verandah of 9066 to give you a feel when Anne Marie and I were standing and what she caught while taking the photos.  

Keith

IMG_0256(1).thumb.jpeg.5f23f2a61de02bdb84f0dac4d5dd56ca.jpeg

IMG_0257(2).thumb.jpeg.1f4d4d68ef21e4f90a21f6039422c0b0.jpeg