Internet - is there a specific spot that has good service internet

bobbismith

17 minutes ago, bobbismith said:

Hello all,

Just curious. I will have to work some on the TA sailing next month. 

Has anyone discovered where the routers are? Where the service is best?

I will be on the Freedom.

TIA

I found that the internet wasn't working on my balcony. I'm interested in what others have found works best as well👍

Edited by ninjacat123
goofy sentence structure ;)
  • Like 1

It depends on the ship.  Some have the APs on the back wall of the closets.   I don't think it makes a difference if the ship has Starlink or not as far as connecting to WiFi.  Starlink is a MUCH faster service, but actually connecting to the ships WiFi will still be dependent on your proximity to an access point.

13 minutes ago, bobbismith said:

What does an access point look like? Thanks

They are different shapes and sizes.  Sometimes they will have antenna(s), some others don't.  Often mounted on the ceiling, sometimes almost resembling a smoke detector.  Some are mounted behind the TV in the rooms, maybe every other room.  Sometimes they are in the closet or in the hallways outside the rooms.

image.jpeg.8af8442e957d68fc0afbb05079fa447a.jpeg  image.jpeg.5493eac542a1f3d2a91850f2843491e5.jpeg image.jpeg.e06abfe73b4c23a13512b1162556e912.jpeg

There will most likely be multiple systems using APs.  Some are for guest WiFi, some are general crew WiFi, some could be for specific crew member communication, and still others may be for ship mechanical automation. 

So, just because you are near an AP doesn't necessarily mean that it is one you are connecting to. 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbismith said:

Anyone currently on a ship? Can you look around for AP? Take photos?

Thanks

Wasted effort. Download a WiFi signal strength meter / analyser from your app store. Use that to find suitable locations when needed.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bobbismith said:

I will have to work some on the TA sailing next month. Where the service is best? I will be on the Freedom.

Hi @bobbismith🙂

We have been sailing Carnival, Princess & Royal for many years. Whenever I want/need to make sure I can get a decent connection, I always go to the Atrium Main Lobby area of a cruise ship (Mid-ship).

Often sometimes closer to Guest Services as well. Or near the particular ships Internet Cafe area too (if the ship has a provided dedicated area with computers). 

(Mid-ship Atrium Area) I've found to be the most reliable for important connections when needed.

Have a terrific sailing!

🍹

• Like 1