Transfer vehicle time

Kinniegirl

5 hours ago, Denarius said:

I used to be in the same situation before the included mileage was increased from 250 to 300. You can opt for a shared car and will be charged a mileage rate (not sure what it is nowadays) in respect of mileage in excess of the included 300 in either direction. ie, if you live 400 miles away you will be charged for 2x(400-300)=200 miles. You can have a sole use car but would pay a higher mileage rate in respect of mileage in excess of 75 each way ie, in the previous example, 2x(400-75)=650 miles which would work out much more expensive.

There is also the option to be collected from home and driven to your local airport for an included domestic flight to London, from whence you would be collected and driven to the port. Not sure how this works or whether there are any resrictions as I have never spoken to anyone who has done this - it may be a fairly new option. Perhaps someone who has used it could advise, or you could always ask Saga.

They’re flying us from 🇮🇲 to Gatwick picked up there and taken to a hotel in Portsmouth for a couple of nights, hotel is at our expense but we need to leave a couple of days before because  the boats and planes  at the moment are a bit hit and miss to say the least

41 minutes ago, Mollag said:

They’re flying us from 🇮🇲 to Gatwick picked up there and taken to a hotel in Portsmouth for a couple of nights, hotel is at our expense but we need to leave a couple of days before because  the boats and planes  at the moment are a bit hit and miss to say the least

That’s an excellent service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Saga have offered flights from say, Scotland, for years, and used to offer train tickets as well.  I don't know if that still applies.  Plus drivers at both ends.  Obviously neither is ideal for people who have difficulty handling their own luggage, or lots of walking which could be involved.

No flights offered from my home -- West Coast, USA -- but they picked me up from the Heathrow hotel I designated and dropped me off back at the hotel. I was a little nervous, waiting in the hotel lobby wondering whether I would be abandoned, but it was all very smooth. They are very efficient, at least in my limited experience. We'll see how it goes next year when I might have different pickup and drop off points.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I am interested in doing a Saga Cruise as a refugee from another cruise line.

As can be seen from my profile I live outside the distance limits for car transfers. How does that work? Am I left to make my own way to the ship? Can I travel to a pick up point? Can I pay extra to bridge the gap as it were?

@FangedRose

We disembarked in Greenock once and didn't fancy the very long journey back to Norfolk by road, we asked about flights to Norwich but they didn't use Flybe as a carrier, so this was not available. They then came back with the option of a car transfer to Glasgow then the train back home, there was no extra charge for this. Although still a long journey, using the train suited us much better and we took up this offer. Everything went very well on the way back home, although of course you do have to handle your luggage if there are any change of stations needed, which we had to do, but for us this wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, lincslady said:

Saga have offered flights from say, Scotland, for years, and used to offer train tickets as well.  I don't know if that still applies.  Plus drivers at both ends.  Obviously neither is ideal for people who have difficulty handling their own luggage, or lots of walking which could be involved.

A couple we met from north Northumberland got Saga to collect them the previous day & they stayed at a Premier Inn in Southampton at there own expense. It was December & they were worried about problems on the motorways. Having done that journey at that time of year many times I would have requested the same.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JMMKUK said:

A couple we met from north Northumberland got Saga to collect them the previous day & they stayed at a Premier Inn in Southampton at there own expense. It was December & they were worried about problems on the motorways. Having done that journey at that time of year many times I would have requested the same.

Did they say if they had to pay the private car supplement to come on their own a day early

When Saga used to do fly cruises on the old Spirit of Adventure, we always chose to go to the airport the day before to stay in a hotel overnight.. This was never a problem and we were never charged extra, apart from paying for the hotel ourselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Am being picked up before 0800 in Teesside. I believe someone further away is being picked up before me. I'd prefer to give the driver a rest break opportunity. There is always somewhere on board between meals to grab a bite. That particular facility is my downfall 😉