Transfer vehicle time

Kinniegirl

On 9/21/2023 at 7:00 AM, Windsurfboy said:

We are 210 miles away far end Cornwall, all A roads not motorway,  so 5hrs plus with comfort stop. So our 10 am got us there at just after 3pm. Seems a bit later than arrival times stated here. Will push for a civilised 8 to 9am.

When Saga let you know the pickup time, there's not really an option to negotiate a different time. Remember that, logistically, they're moving about 960 persons off the ship and the same number on again. However, let us know how you get on with your request, as our pickups seem to be getting later? 

Edited by Wacktle
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, david05 said:

If returning from Dover or Tilbury we like to stop to pick up some food for when we get home 😀.

Not sure i would be over the moon if i was sitting in the car while you do your shopping. If you were the last to be dropped off and the driver was ok with that, then that would obviously be ok.

29 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Not sure i would be over the moon if i was sitting in the car while you do your shopping. If you were the last to be dropped off and the driver was ok with that, then that would obviously be ok.

As it happens we don't normally share and the shopping we do is quicker than having a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

Last month we were picked up at our given time of 09:40, we picked another couple up in Colchester, the driver asked where we would like to stop for a break, our travelling companions were not bothered about a stop, we were not fussed either but left it to the driver and that if he wanted a rest from driving for him to stop where he wanted to. He said we would press on and see what sort of traffic was about, after a very good trouble free run we were onboard SoA before 1330. This length of time on the road without a break would not suit everyone, we know.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:51 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Oops looks like my 10amm for 5hrs away a bit of aberation will check my November Caribbean time .

Information on times vs distance useful

We are Saga first timers and are on the Caribbean cruise in November. When will we hear what time our pickup time is. We notice there are price reductions for this cruise in the latest brochure.

I am interested in doing a Saga Cruise as a refugee from another cruise line.

As can be seen from my profile I live outside the distance limits for car transfers. How does that work? Am I left to make my own way to the ship? Can I travel to a pick up point? Can I pay extra to bridge the gap as it were?

Edited by FangedRose

3 hours ago, Banjo an said:

We are Saga first timers and are on the Caribbean cruise in November. When will we hear what time our pickup time is. We notice there are price reductions for this cruise in the latest brochure.

You should receive a letter with your pickup time approximately three weeks prior to departure.

12 minutes ago, LondonLad60 said:

You should receive a letter with your pickup time approximately three weeks prior to departure.

Or check on "Manage My Booking" on the Saga Cruises Website 2-3 weeks before Sailing as this is usually issued one week before the Letter is received.

7 hours ago, Wacktle said:

When Saga let you know the pickup time, there's not really an option to negotiate a different time. Remember that, logistically, they're moving about 960 persons off the ship and the same number on again. However, let us know how you get on with your request, as our pickups seem to be getting later? 

It's more about going to ship. Arriving when all food is closed that I don't fancy.

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's more about going to ship. Arriving when all food is closed that I don't fancy.

Is that likely to happen ? Given that Saga know approximately how many people are due to arrive at any given time do they not continue providing lunch for those who arrive later in the afternoon ?

I live 76 miles from Portsmouth and have opted to travel solo in November, paying for the extra mile each way. From what has been said so far I wonder if I will get picked up late by a driver who has brought someone from further away. Hope not as I shall be a dithering wreck if I have to wait too long !

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I am interested in doing a Saga Cruise as a refugee from another cruise line.

As can be seen from my profile I live outside the distance limits for car transfers. How does that work? Am I left to make my own way to the ship? Can I travel to a pick up point? Can I pay extra to bridge the gap as it were?

I used to be in the same situation before the included mileage was increased from 250 to 300. You can opt for a shared car and will be charged a mileage rate (not sure what it is nowadays) in respect of mileage in excess of the included 300 in either direction. ie, if you live 400 miles away you will be charged for 2x(400-300)=200 miles. You can have a sole use car but would pay a higher mileage rate in respect of mileage in excess of 75 each way ie, in the previous example, 2x(400-75)=650 miles which would work out much more expensive.

There is also the option to be collected from home and driven to your local airport for an included domestic flight to London, from whence you would be collected and driven to the port. Not sure how this works or whether there are any resrictions as I have never spoken to anyone who has done this - it may be a fairly new option. Perhaps someone who has used it could advise, or you could always ask Saga.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If the lunch buffet has finished (around 3.30-4pm, I think), there are snacks in "The Living Room" and also room service. Dinner service starts at 6.30, but you'll be assigned a restaurant and dining time on the first evening. If worst comes to the worst, I think you can speak to the Maitre'D and get it changed. Hopefully you'll be fine.

37 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

Is that likely to happen ? Given that Saga know approximately how many people are due to arrive at any given time do they not continue providing lunch for those who arrive later in the afternoon ?

I live 76 miles from Portsmouth and have opted to travel solo in November, paying for the extra mile each way. From what has been said so far I wonder if I will get picked up late by a driver who has brought someone from further away. Hope not as I shall be a dithering wreck if I have to wait too long !

We arrived at about 1 pm at Southampton and our driver went straight off to pick up 2 more passengers before returning to Leicestershire.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I used to be in the same situation before the included mileage was increased from 250 to 300. You can opt for a shared car and will be charged a mileage rate (not sure what it is nowadays) in respect of mileage in excess of the included 300 in either direction. ie, if you live 400 miles away you will be charged for 2x(400-300)=200 miles. You can have a sole use car but would pay a higher mileage rate in respect of mileage in excess of 75 each way ie, in the previous example, 2x(400-75)=650 miles which would work out much more expensive.

There is also the option to be collected from home and driven to your local airport for an included domestic flight to London, from whence you would be collected and driven to the port. Not sure how this works or whether there are any resrictions as I have never spoken to anyone who has done this - it may be a fairly new option. Perhaps someone who has used it could advise, or you could always ask Saga.

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. 😊

35 minutes ago, Wacktle said:

If the lunch buffet has finished (around 3.30-4pm, I think), there are snacks in "The Living Room" and also room service.

On embarkation day the Grill is open from 1 to 3.45pm. I'm not sure how rigid they are about shutting it all down at precisely 3.45, though, or whether any latecomers could still find something to keep them going until dinner.

It’s clearly a complicated operation as the aim is to stagger arrivals so no one is waiting a long time to board and everyone can be individually shown to their cabin. Whether you are first, last or in the middle, going with the flow is a good plan. Its Saga’s problem to get you there and the ship definitely won’t leave without you!

• Thanks 1

Saga have offered flights from say, Scotland, for years, and used to offer train tickets as well.  I don't know if that still applies.  Plus drivers at both ends.  Obviously neither is ideal for people who have difficulty handling their own luggage, or lots of walking which could be involved.

8 hours ago, seasickphil said:

We are not talking a full shop. Pint of milk, bread, something for tea and a desert. Plus a sandwich to eat before continuing. 
Last time, had a comfort break, shopped, got back to the car before the others and the driver.

• Like 2