Staying in Murano rather than Venice

Suwar18

3 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

Cool, what made you choose the hotel? 

We read great reviews of the hotel. We plan to take the ship's transfer to the airport. We've already made a reservation for the hotel boat to pick us up from there. They'll also offer free transport to the airport when we fly home. I've tried to research the different vaporetto stops for the quickest transport between Venice and Murano. We actually plan to go for the day to Venice, not going back and forth between islands. Hoping this plan works out like we plan! 

Enjoy your cruise and time there! We leave Southampton on Oct 14..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

We stayed there too and found it very convenient.  The vaporetto practically drops you in the lobby and they will get you to the airport free of charge. It’s definitely very quiet in Murano at night. Not a ton of restaurant choices but we enjoyed the peace!  

Did you find a good restaurant you can recommend? We may look for dinner there. It doesn't have to be a fancy dinner...just good Italian food...reasonably priced. 

31 minutes ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

We read great reviews of the hotel. We plan to take the ship's transfer to the airport. We've already made a reservation for the hotel boat to pick us up from there. They'll also offer free transport to the airport when we fly home. I've tried to research the different vaporetto stops for the quickest transport between Venice and Murano. We actually plan to go for the day to Venice, not going back and forth between islands. Hoping this plan works out like we plan! 

Enjoy your cruise and time there! We leave Southampton on Oct 14..

Thank you for responding. Enjoy your cruise and stay

38 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

We stayed there too and found it very convenient.  The vaporetto practically drops you in the lobby and they will get you to the airport free of charge. It’s definitely very quiet in Murano at night. Not a ton of restaurant choices but we enjoyed the peace!  

Happy to hear positive feedback 

9 hours ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

Did you find a good restaurant you can recommend? We may look for dinner there. It doesn't have to be a fancy dinner...just good Italian food...reasonably priced. 

There’s the Furnace Restaurant (La Fornace) a short walk away towards Colonna which was good.  Also, just along the Riva Longa from the Hyatt, there’s a seafood restaurant with a outside lagoonside terrace that I can’t remember the name of.

Catherine 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KforKitty said:

There’s the Furnace Restaurant (La Fornace) a short walk away towards Colonna which was good.  Also, just along the Riva Longa from the Hyatt, there’s a seafood restaurant with a outside lagoonside terrace that I can’t remember the name of.

Catherine 

Thank you! I'll make note of these. 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:31 PM, Suwar18 said:

First time Mediterranean cruise. Senior solo planning 2 day pre-cruise in Venice. In order to avoid hassle of dragging luggage all over Venice, was thinking of staying in Murano and day tripping to Venice. Any thoughts?

If you want to avoid dragging your luggage, you can choose a hotel near one of the Aliguana stops (water taxi service from Marco Polo to Venice) or you can also stay in Mestre, there are several hotel reachable from an airport bus. There is less dragging in Murano because is so small but not much to do there. You also arrive at Murano via one of the Aliguana services.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, J0urn3yman said:

If you want to avoid dragging your luggage, you can choose a hotel near one of the Aliguana stops (water taxi service from Marco Polo to Venice) or you can also stay in Mestre, there are several hotel reachable from an airport bus. There is less dragging in Murano because is so small but not much to do there. You also arrive at Murano via one of the Aliguana services.

Thanks, I'll look into Mestre. Any hotel suggestions? I saw Best Western Hotel Bologna across from train station 

Staying in Mestre is such a different experience, so not worth it. Stay in Venice, pay a porter or just drag your bags. You will never regret staying in Venice proper. The amount of time you will waste going back and forth, you will really wish you made a different choice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

There are several hotels in Venice proper that don't require crossing bridges. I've been to Murano, Burano, and Torcello. Do not do what you are planning,

Since it's my first time visiting Venice, can you recommend any hotels that don't require bridges? I tried researching by checking reviews. There's no filter when doing hotel search. I'm in my 70's so dragging luggage is not desirable.

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

There are several hotels in Venice proper that don't require crossing bridges. I've been to Murano, Burano, and Torcello. Do not do what you are planning,

Edited by Suwar18

42 minutes ago, Mkdvmz said:

Staying in Mestre is such a different experience, so not worth it. Stay in Venice, pay a porter or just drag your bags. You will never regret staying in Venice proper. The amount of time you will waste going back and forth, you will really wish you made a different choice

Of course staying in Venice would be my first choice but I'm having difficulty determining which hotels don't require crossing bridges. There's no filter for hotel search. I try reading reviews. 

1 minute ago, Suwar18 said:

Of course staying in Venice would be my first choice but I'm having difficulty determining which hotels don't require crossing bridges. There's no filter for hotel search. I try reading reviews. 

Did you look at the link I posted in post #16 on this thread? That site provides listings for a number of hotels near Piazzale Roma (which is where you would arrive by bus from the airport and Alilaguna also stops there) that have either no or one bridge to be crossed.

I have stayed at the Santa Chiara and will stay there again in a few days. I've also stayed in the Papadopoli but it's been a few years.

Here's a link to the exact page with recommendations for hotels near Piazzale Roma:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-piazzale-roma.htm

5 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

Since it's my first time visiting Venice, can you recommend any hotels that don't require bridges? I tried researching by checking reviews. There's no filter when doing hotel search. I'm in my 70's so dragging luggage is not desirable.

I will give you 3 choices.  The Santa Chiari is right on the P. Roma and you can walk from the airport ATVO bus stop to that place with no bridges.  The Best Western Olimpia is also very close, although there is a small bridge crossing (not a problem rolling luggage).  There is also a smaller inn-like hotel called the Ca Doge (it has been are home away from home) which is a cross between an Inn and and B&B with only 6 rooms.  It is right on the P. Roma and close to the bus stop.  The downside is that this property does not have an elevator, so you have to be OK with steps.

Hank

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Did you look at the link I posted in post #16 on this thread? That site provides listings for a number of hotels near Piazzale Roma (which is where you would arrive by bus from the airport and Alilaguna also stops there) that have either no or one bridge to be crossed.

I have stayed at the Santa Chiara and will stay there again in a few days. I've also stayed in the Papadopoli but it's been a few years.

Here's a link to the exact page with recommendations for hotels near Piazzale Roma:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-piazzale-roma.htm

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will give you 3 choices.  The Santa Chiari is right on the P. Roma and you can walk from the airport ATVO bus stop to that place with no bridges.  The Best Western Olimpia is also very close, although there is a small bridge crossing (not a problem rolling luggage).  There is also a smaller inn-like hotel called the Ca Doge (it has been are home away from home) which is a cross between an Inn and and B&B with only 6 rooms.  It is right on the P. Roma and close to the bus stop.  The downside is that this property does not have an elevator, so you have to be OK with steps.

Hank

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Booked Santa Chiari, 2 recommendations 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

Booked Santa Chiari, 2 recommendations 

Good choice and the location has another great benefit.  It is very close to the P. Roma ACTV vaporetto port where you can access vaporetto's to just about anywhere in the lagoon.  For getting around Venice, visiting Murano, Burano, Lido, Torcello, etc. you can simply use the reasonably priced vaporettos.  They sell various tickets ranging from a short (usually one trip) up to multiple days.  If you are going to be in Venice a few days, these passes can be a real bargain.  There is a ACTV (they operate the vaporetto's) ticket window (and office) right in the P. Roma where you can get info and buy any of the various tickets.

If you are on a budget, you can take the Express ATVO bus from right in front of the airport terminal directly to the P. Roma.  Their buses are comfy, usually run about every 20 minutes, and have plenty of luggage storage space under the bus.

Hank

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good choice and the location has another great benefit.  It is very close to the P. Roma ACTV vaporetto port where you can access vaporetto's to just about anywhere in the lagoon.  For getting around Venice, visiting Murano, Burano, Lido, Torcello, etc. you can simply use the reasonably priced vaporettos.  They sell various tickets ranging from a short (usually one trip) up to multiple days.  If you are going to be in Venice a few days, these passes can be a real bargain.  There is a ACTV (they operate the vaporetto's) ticket window (and office) right in the P. Roma where you can get info and buy any of the various tickets.

Hank

I appreciate your suggestions, thanks