Room availability question.

D_And_K_gocruising

52 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We know all about it, but at least we'll be keeping the house in NY, so not worrying about a 26 foot UHaul with trailer. I've moved too much in my life, including to/from WY/MT and NY before. Both ways. A couple times..just can't stay still. 

I think it would be Aurea - I knew that was the only way for anytime dining which is definitely what we want. Pretty sure we would get the unlimited dining as well, so we could change it up if the MDR menu doesn't look so great.

No cruise port, but I would live inside a national park again...and we'll just have to rely on NCL BOGO Air a lot more. Scary, eh? BTW, next time I'm visiting my aunt in Newnan, I'm going to stop in Atlanta to say hi. Whether you want me to or not. I'll just stick my head out the window of the car and screech for laudergayle!!

Sounds like us…Atlanta, Lake Hartwell (border of GA/SC), Florida, back to Lake Hartwell but kept a small condo in FL.  We also can’t stay still…lol.  Your new opportunity sounds adventurous…hope it works out.  We’ve not done many National Parks…and the Senior Pass is cheap.  Who knows…I might be in your backyard screaming Haven Maven🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, durberville said:

Well that was just thoroughly depressing and makes me question the decision to cruise with a company who treats their employees so badly. If this is standard practice in the industry now… I won’t be eager to contribute to it in the future. Wow. 

Keep in mind these stewards choose to work on the ships of their own free will and many of them re-up for multiple contracts year after year.  It doesn't change the fact that perhaps they are wiped out exhausted at the end of turnover day, but, it's not like they were forced into some sort of slave labor ring.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 11:55 PM, durberville said:

Well that was just thoroughly depressing and makes me question the decision to cruise with a company who treats their employees so badly. If this is standard practice in the industry now… I won’t be eager to contribute to it in the future. Wow. 

Not so much treating them badly, but it is a side effect of recent changes to once-a-day cleaning. Most crew members work 7 days a week, about 70 hours a week. Room stewards now work a single shift...  whereas they used to have to work a split shift, late into the evening. Restaurant staff, bar waiters, bartenders all could have worse shifts starting at 4:30 pm and closing a restaurant at 11:00, then being on buffet duty at 5:00 am to set up.  

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not so much treating them badly, but it is a side effect of recent changes to once-a-day cleaning. Most crew members work 7 days a week, about 70 hours a week. Room stewards now work a single shift...  whereas they used to have to work a split shift, late into the evening. Restaurant staff, bar waiters, bartenders all could have worse shifts starting at 4:30 pm and closing a restaurant at 11:00, then being on buffet duty at 5:00 am to set up.  

Try not to think of this next time you fly but your aircraft mechanic may be working over 70 hours a week. Recently found this out, my friend works 7x12 hours scheduled and sometimes more and then has 7 days off. He use to work 6x12 hour shifts with one day off earlier in his career.