Complimentary Beverages

MissPhoeb

I'm getting conflicting answers.  I understand that "premium" wines and liquors are not complimentary on Regent Seven Seas, but do all cocktails fall under the category of "premium?"  Some examples:  Dirty Martini, Lychee Martini or Cosmopolitan.  Are there separate cocktail menus for complimentary versus premium cocktails? 

Edited by MissPhoeb

4 minutes ago, MissPhoeb said:

I'm getting conflicting answers.  I understand that "premium" wines and liquors are not complimentary on Regent Seven Seas, but do all cocktails fall under the category of "premium?"  Some examples:  Dirty Martini, Lychee Martini or Cosmopolitan.  Are there separate cocktail menus for complimentary versus premium cocktails? 

Most traditional "top shelf" spirits (and cocktails made from them) are included. Here's a list. It's a few years old, but representative of the types of spirits offered, 

image.png.a91fed0cbb61a289be4da9130b4752bd.png

image.png.58476115021bba02aa68e822f60ceafa.png

2 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@MissPhoeb when you consider the price/quality of some of the included spirits, it makes you feel a bit of a second class citizen as a wine drinker when you compare with some of the included wines 😁

I get what you're saying, but price isn't the only measure of quality when it comes to drinkable wines. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GMIAC said:

I get what you're saying, but price isn't the only measure of quality when it comes to drinkable wines. 

I agree completely. IMHO, too many people judge wine with their eyes by reading the label, the price tag and the wine reviews. I remember a cartoon a number of years ago showing a customer telling his wine merchant that he thought a wine was terrible. The wine merchant replies that a famous reviewer gave the wine a score of 95. The customer then says that he wants to buy several cases of the wine. 

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We did the tasting of the included wines on our December cruise.  It was very well presented.  But as we were tasting, another passenger was there making sure to explain to the sommelier why a couple of the wines he had were not very good wines.  I made sure to ask for a taste of one of them and it was very good indeed. Which I made sure to vocalize.  I made sure to order it in the CR that evening. 

We have always enjoyed the included wines.

• Like 1

I believe wine tasting and preference is very subjective. Everyone has a different palate. One should drink what one likes. I never judge. Many are influenced by “experts”. I have done some blind tasting events and surprisingly, the favored wines were always mid-priced. There are “special” wines and everyday wines. Have I had some bad wines? Yes, but that is by my standard and taste, not someone else’s. I find my taste buds dull after a glass or two. I believe each to his own and you should drink what you like (and perhaps afford) be it bottled, screw-topped, corked, boxed, red with fish, white with beef, or red chilled. The idea is to enjoy and not judge others! 🥂

• Like 6

It's not so much the cost or whether they are recommended by an expert so not wine snobbery but actual variety. on the menu @GMIAC posted there are 10 wines by the glass and over 90 'spirits'. There are actually more varieties of vodka than wine !  I know there are more available when onboard but still 😜

Edited by Techno123

5 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

It's not so much the cost or whether they are recommended by an expert so not wine snobbery but actual variety. on the menu @GMIAC posted there are 10 wines by the glass and over 90 'spirits'. There are actually more varieties of vodka than wine !  I know there are more available when onboard but still 😜

Well, you only need one, right?  🤓

3 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

It's not so much the cost or whether they are recommended by an expert but on the menu @GMIAC posted there are 10 wines by the glass and over 90 'spirits'. There are actually more varieties of vodka than wine !  I know there are more available when onboard but still 😜

Considerably more wines are available as included wines than are on that list. I don’t think they even put the wines on the bar list anymore because that is so misleading. Or maybe I stopped noticing it because, if I want wine at the bar, I’ll ask for what I want. Usually, if it’s not on hand at that particular bar, someone will track down a bottle from another bar or dining room.

• Like 1

Just to be clear on the subject of cocktails, no, there are no specific cocktails that are not included.  Only the ultra-premium brands of the spirits that go into them.  And the definitions are quite broad--it's not like going into a bar and getting a "well" drink at all, most of the top brands are covered.  

Funny, my husband prefers Jim Bean bourbon, not a particularly top brand.  He asked for it in the room set-up and was told they didn't have any (perhaps temporary supply-chain issue).  He was given Bulleit instead, which is quite a nice premium bourbon.