Fort Lauderdale tips and info please!

britincanada

Hello,

We are flying into FLL the day before our Virgin cruise out of Miami. We will (hopefully!!) be arriving early morning the day before our cruise.

We haven't been to FLL before, so I'm thinking it would be nice to spend the day/night there and then travel to Miami the next day ready for our 1.30pm boarding time.

Any info would be appreciated  - areas to stay (or not stay), places not to be missed. We aren't 'beach people', other than walking on the beach. 

Thank you in advance!

A good place to start is the official Fort Lauderdale tourist website:  www.visitlauderdale.com.  It is full of information on lodging, transportation, restaurants, attractions, etc.

The most popular tourist attraction is probably the water taxi.  www.watertaxi.com

The city also has a free air conditioned shuttle service that includes downtown (Las Olas Blvd area), the beach and 17th Street (Port Everglades area).  https://www.visitlauderdale.com/listing/laudergo-community-shuttle/18459/www.laudergo.com

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:07 PM, capriccio said:

A good place to start is the official Fort Lauderdale tourist website:  www.visitlauderdale.com.  It is full of information on lodging, transportation, restaurants, attractions, etc.

The most popular tourist attraction is probably the water taxi.  www.watertaxi.com

The city also has a free air conditioned shuttle service that includes downtown (Las Olas Blvd area), the beach and 17th Street (Port Everglades area).  https://www.visitlauderdale.com/listing/laudergo-community-shuttle/18459/www.laudergo.com

The water taxi tour  is amazing.  You see mega yachts, amazing mansions and learn some interesting history about Fort Lauderdale.  

• Like 2

Can I suggest looking at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas Blvd.The water taxi stop is right there, plenty of restaurants and some shopping all on the same block. The hotel is one of the first hotels in Fort Lauderdale and has that traditional Florida feel.

4 hours ago, kelib said:

Can I suggest looking at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas Blvd.The water taxi stop is right there, plenty of restaurants and some shopping all on the same block. The hotel is one of the first hotels in Fort Lauderdale and has that traditional Florida feel.

Thank you! I will take a look, I appreciate the suggestion. 

There is a Margaritaville hotel/resort on Hollywood Beach that is great fun. Not far by taxi from FLL. The whole Hollywood Beach scene along the Broadwalk has a great vibe for an afternoon/evening visit. Lot’s of restaurants, bars, people watching, etc. Also there is a nice Marriott on Hollywood Beach that’s a little cheaper but is also a great location and has the same vibe. We have stayed at both pre-cruise and will be staying at Marriott in March. 

Edited by philv