Manhattan Hotel Recommendations

LakerMom

29 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

Our cruise departs from the Manhattan Terminal.  Are there any hotel recommendations that would be near the port?

There are literally hundreds of hotels close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ranging from budget costing a couple hundred a night to 5 star options costing several thousand a night. We need more here-- budget, preferences, etc to even start to provide decent advice. 

I would like it to be no higher than $400 per night.  I would like to have easy access to the Manhattan terminal but would also like to be close to maybe some cool sites as we are coming in the day before. From the boards, I see there are not a lot of hotels that offer shuttles to/from the airport to the hotel so I assume taxi/Uber/Lift is readily available.

How about after the cruise?  Are taxis/Ubers/Lifts available at the port to go back to the airport?

11 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

From the boards, I see there are not a lot of hotels that offer shuttles to/from the airport to the hotel so I assume taxi/Uber/Lift is readily available.

There are zero-- no Manhattan hotel offers an airport shuttle to any of the 3 main airports. At JFK you can take a taxi for a flat fare, but at the others Uber/Lyft will be the way to go. 

12 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

How about after the cruise?  Are taxis/Ubers/Lifts available at the port to go back to the airport?

Yes-- all will be available. Sometimes Uber/Lyft are allowed to pick up at the MCT and sometimes not. Sometimes you'll need to cross the street to the other side of 12th Ave to get a taxi/Uber. 

14 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

I would like it to be no higher than $400 per night.  I would like to have easy access to the Manhattan terminal but would also like to be close to maybe some cool sites as we are coming in the day before.

For $400 you can get something decent (as long as its not a holiday or a special event is going on). INK48 is often mentioned here and is very close to the pier. I am not at all a fan of Times Square (and don't recommend you be either) but if one had to stay near Times Square (and therefore close to the MCT as well) The Algonquin, City Club Hotel, and Casablanca Hotels are quite nice and MAY be close to that $400 a night.

Also take a look at hotels near Bryant Park which are on the other side of Times Square and the area is much less hectic. The Library Hotel there is a gem. A little further north another nice option that could be in your budget would be the Intercontinental The Barclay. 

I'm sure others will have other recs-- aside from INK48 these are all places I have personal experience with over the years and can vouch for. They might not all be in your budget on a particular night but there is a chance that one of them will be. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

From the boards, I see there are not a lot of hotels that offer shuttles to/from the airport to the hotel so I assume taxi/Uber/Lift is readily available.

There are no hotels in Manhattan offering shuttle service from any of the three major airports, and yes, taxi/Uber/Lyft or car service will all be available. What transportation option to use is also partially dependent on what airport you're flying in to. For example you don't want to take a taxi from EWR to Manhattan, but a taxi is a reasonable option from JFK and LGA. There are also some mass transit options such as train or bus if you're willing to use them, but again exactly what options are available depends on the airport.

26 minutes ago, LakerMom said:

Yes, taxi/Uber/Lyft are available at the port to return to the airport. It may sound strange, but taxi from the port to EWR is an option even though we suggest avoiding it from EWR to Manhattan.

1 hour ago, LakerMom said:

Our cruise departs from the Manhattan Terminal.  Are there any hotel recommendations that would be near the port?

In addition to your budget it would be helpful to know the date you need your hotel because room rates can vary substantially based on season, day of the week and events being held in the city at the time. For example the United Nations meeting just took place and that level of demand causes a spike in hotel rates and tight availability, as do events like Fashion Week or the New York City Marathon.

It's really not necessary to stay very close to cruise terminal as it's easy and not outrageously expensive to take a taxi or Uber from most anywhere in Manhattan to the cruise terminal. I'd suggest you get a tentative idea of what you want to do when you're in Manhattan and then pick a hotel at least partially based on convenience in getting to those places.

Edit: I see that  @princeton123211 and I posted at about the same time and said many of the same things.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

We are in NYC frequently. We usually stay at the Courtyard by Marriott (Residence Inn is also on the upper floors of the same building) at 54th and Broadway. It is an easy walk to Broadway shows as well as Central Park. There is great assistance in securing transportation from the hotel to the cruise pier. 

• Like 1