Norweigen Free at sea Alcohol package for Non-drinkers

jayally1968

I booked the Norweigen Bliss for a June 2024 Alaska cruise. I was initially impressed with the Free at Sea promotion and booked a Deck 15 Suite Balcony room through Costco. After booking I got a detailed statement which shows how much we paid just for the Alcohol package gratuties. My husband and I are not alcohol drinkers so I called Costco to ask if we could remove the alcohol package and substitute the soda package. He removed the package and told me there were no substutions.  I have since read somewhere they make exceptions for non-drinkers or those under 21 and include the soda package instead. I called costco back and the agent said she spoke to Norweigen and they do not do this and I must have my information wrong. I am about to cancel this trip since it is so expensive and I booked it on a whim and while I was so excited about the trip, it is now giving me a bad taste. The zip line excursions on Icy Straight (only able to book via the cruise) is more expensive than other lines and the $50 doesn't do much to compensate for the higher prices. 

Did I read it wrong and has anyone had success in getting the Free at Sea alcohol package changed to a soda package?  

Thank you!

If guest #2 is under 21, that guest would get the soda package. 

The PBP also includes non-alcoholic drinks (virgin coladas, virgin daiquiris, etc.) as well as soda (from the bartender's gun). You can have as many of those per day as you would like. 

Looking at the difference in price between what you originally had and the price after you removed the PBP, you might be better off keeping the package vs. paying a la carte for non-alcoholic drinks and sodas.  

Edited by Two Wheels Only

My wife is a non drinker and I am a light drinker... So I looked at the cost of the drink package gratuities vs what we would pay for drinks a la carte.   I came to the conclusion it was about a wash so I kept the package.    We have completed the cruise, and I think it was the right call.  The virgin margaritas etc. went down pretty quickly !   It is nice to not worry about the cost a la carte. 

I agree that NCL plays games with the pricing, with fine print... free really isn't free cause they add the gratuities, etc.   Also, the free 150 minutes wifi is worthless.   It does make you a little frustrated. However, all told ....the total price was a bargain even with those add-ons.   It was our first NCL cruise and I was impressed.   The food was excellent.    We were on the Joy and had a great time.   

• Like 1

We are not alcohol drinkers nor soda drinkers.  We always remove the package for the liquor. So therefor we do not pay the gratuities for this.  Just tell them to remove the whole liquor package and add the soda (if you want it) at a later date. Don’t try to do a substitute . Sometimes little things like that messes with simple minds. 

I usually calculate the “cost” of the drink package using the “Sail Away” cabin cost and the cheapest cabin that includes FAS. The actual cost of the drinks package is baked into the cabin prices that include FAS, as is the “free” specialty dining, wifi and $50 excursion money

Using notional numbers with 2 port days on a 5 day cruise

Sail Away 500

Cheapest cabin with FAS in same category: 1750

1250 - 500 = 750 - 100 (shore ex) = 650 - 40 (dining) = 610 - 100 (wifi) = 510 /5 (cruise days) = 102 per day for drinks package 

or alternately add all the a la carte prices to that Sail Away rate to see whether the FAS is a deal or not, purely from a financial calculation. Of course, neither method captures tge emotional value of selecting your room. And since NCL doesn’t have a non- fully loaded, pick your cabin rate …. If location matters, you’re stuck paying for the FAS “bennies” even if you don’t use them. Removing the drinks or dining saves a little jingle but if you buy 1 or 2 nonalcoholic drinks with tax, you’ve spent that saved jingle anyways.

I have dropped booked Sail Away for port intensive cruises to save money with the much cheaper cabin, and only spent a couple hundred or less on drinks. It  seemed everything ended up in the $10-14 range but we mostly drank ashore and had only a handful on board. We don’t drink as much at home as on vacation- too busy doing things or prepping for work the next day to sit around and sip other than an occasional glass with dinner.