Low water on Mississippi - effects?

roninman

Been seeing reports lately of low levels on the river, and the effect on barges and other river traffic that must ensure it stays in certain channels.  Additionally, the low levels allow saline seepage from the Gulf estuary up into the river near N.O.

Anyone notice any effects on the Mississippi cruise sailings?

(Cross posted in AQ board),

2 hours ago, roninman said:

Been seeing reports lately of low levels on the river, and the effect on barges and other river traffic that must ensure it stays in certain channels.  Additionally, the low levels allow saline seepage from the Gulf estuary up into the river near N.O.

Anyone notice any effects on the Mississippi cruise sailings?

(Cross posted in AQ board),

Very likely that Upper Mississippi cruises will be curtailed again this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Locks and dams mitigate the effects of low water.  Upper Mississippi is chock-a-block with these, lower Mississippi has none.  It's the lower Mississippi cruises we should be mainly worried about, not the upper Mississippi ones.  Wondering how the St. Louis/Memphis/New Orleans cruises are making out.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking a lower Mississippi Cruise in two weeks.  I called American Cruise lines and they said they are not having any problems or cancelations of any ports. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 7:01 PM, llund said:

We are taking a lower Mississippi Cruise in two weeks.  I called American Cruise lines and they said they are not having any problems or cancelations of any ports. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

Thank you for this info.  I booked my Dad on the Nov 5th sailing. He'll be happy to hear this. 

FYI, received today for Lower MIss cruise departing Memphis 10/25:

"Dear Guest,

The Captain, Officers and Crew look forward to welcoming you aboard for your Lower Mississippi Cruise.  

Due to low water levels in the Mississippi River, American Melody is unable to dock in Memphis, TN and we must change your embarkation location to the American Cruise Lines Dock in Tunica Resorts, MS. This change will have minimal impact to your travel experience and we will take care of everything for you.

For all guests participating in the two-night, pre-cruise package at The Guest House at Graceland:
Your breakfast, excursion, luggage, transfer, and embarkation instructions will be included in the Welcome Packet you will receive at hotel check-in. 

For all guests staying at The Peabody Memphis:
Your luggage, transfer, and embarkation instructions will be included in the Welcome Packet you will receive at hotel check-in.

The comfortable ride from the hotel to the American Cruise Lines Dock is approximately 45 minutes. When you arrive to American Melody, please join us for lunch in the Restaurant. 

Travel safely and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you.

Customer Service
American Cruise Lines"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

roninman - Thanks for posting about Memphis.  We're doing the reverse on American Serenade departing NO on Thanksgiving Day.  I notice that our Daily Schedule shows us docking at Tunica Resorts also.  It also no longer has a stop at Houmas House and.  Instead, we overnight in Baton Rouge.

Please report back once you get off.  Thanks

Memphis to New Orleans, finishing up today in NO.  Good news, no excursions missed at all.  But some minor deviations in docking locations.  Memphis to Tunica.  Vicksburg to 20 min south of Vburg.  St Francisville docked across the river.  Instead of Houmas House landed a day early in NO, but excursions still went back to Houmas, or had the option of spending the day in NO.  Baton Rouge and Natchez docked at city original docks.

They did a great job of seeing all the sites scheduled, though bus trips might have been a few minutes longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:52 AM, roninman said:

Memphis to New Orleans, finishing up today in NO.  Good news, no excursions missed at all.  But some minor deviations in docking locations.  Memphis to Tunica.  Vicksburg to 20 min south of Vburg.  St Francisville docked across the river.  Instead of Houmas House landed a day early in NO, but excursions still went back to Houmas, or had the option of spending the day in NO.  Baton Rouge and Natchez docked at city original docks.

They did a great job of seeing all the sites scheduled, though bus trips might have been a few minutes longer.

Thanks for the update

• Like 1

We just returned from cruising the Melody from NO to Memphis on 11/1 to 11/8.  There were no excursions that were missed.  However, in Vicksburg, we had to dock a tad bit away and take a bus ride to our excursion of the battlefield, which was a 20 minute ride.  Additionally, we couldn't dock in Memphis where they normally dock.  That being said, we were still situated very close to town.  Memphis was our favorite stop because we mainly took this cruise for the history.  Lots to see and do.  As far as the ship:  we were in Cabin 423.  It was very roomy with a nice balcony.  The noise level in the hallway was practically non-existent.  Meals were fine, however, whenever they served steak of any sort, it was on the rare side.  Hubby likes his steaks and meats medium to well.  They just always came out rare.  BUT the food was good.  Cocktail hour and good conversation ensued every night.  Colin, the Cruise Director, was spot on.  He was always available, along with Meg to answer or assist you with your concerns.  If you have specific questions, please let me know.  Oh, the water level on the river was low.  Lots of sandbars.  

thumbnail (11).jpeg

thumbnail (31).jpeg

thumbnail (16).jpeg

• Like 1