Arctic vs Antarctic

toseaornottosea

For those of you who have done both Antartica and the Arctic which did you prefer or were they both great for different reasons.  We did the Antarctic on Venture.  A bucket list experience.  I'd do it again.   Thinking about the Arctic.  Would love to hear from those who have done both.

Aloha. Both excellent voyages but I find something special about an Antarctica voyage that sets its apart from Alaska. The Drake Passage, a visit to the Falklands, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, the diversity. It just seems more over the top. Just my opinion and hope whatever my fellow posters believe, their opinions certainly matter and we are blessed to have the opportunity to sail in those waters. Enjoy!

19 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Thinking about the Arctic.  Would love to hear from those who have done both.

We did Antarctica on Quest back in 2015-16, Alaska in 2018, and then just a few months ago did Iceland & Greenland on Venture. Like @Mahogany said, far far less wildlife to be spotted in the Arctic given the long legacy of hunting there, though Alaska is pretty good for wildlife, especially whales and bald eagles.

The trip I've been told I have to take...the one that rivals Antarctica, is Scoresby Sund in East Greenland. This was feedback I got from a couple we sailed with to both Antarctica and Alaska. Regrettably, we didn't make it into Scoresby on our Venture trip as the ice was too thick and had to divert to South Greenland, but I know that the August sailing to Scoresby was successful and did see at least 1 polar bear.

I still hope to get into Scoresby one of these years, and I definitely want to get back to Antarctica. 

We have been to Antarctica and South Georgia and are returning in February followed by Cape to Cape.  We have been to East Greenland twice.

Main differences:

Antarctica scenery is spectacular and the critter experience is unrivaled. It is a challenge to get to.

East Greenland - Scorsby is next level spectacular. Think Lemaire Channel on steroids.  Skoldungen is also mind blowing, but smaller, but by no means small. It takes a day to get through. Icebergs and more icebergs. Every shape and size. Lacking in the critter department.  I'd go every summer if I could fit it in. 

We saw three polar bears in the ice pack near the North Pole. Although I wouldn't wand to spend days up there,  I really enjoyed the time we did spend.

Edited by highplanesdrifters

On 9/23/2023 at 9:17 PM, toseaornottosea said:

For those of you who have done both Antartica and the Arctic which did you prefer or were they both great for different reasons.  We did the Antarctic on Venture.  A bucket list experience.  I'd do it again.   Thinking about the Arctic.  Would love to hear from those who have done both.

If you do the longer journey which includes South Georgia and maybe try to spend some time in Patagonia (or anywhere in Chile and Argentina) then I would say Antartica all the way. Artic is good fun for the hikes kayak and helicopters tours but as someone mentioned the best place is Scorbysund which actually reminded me a lot of Antartica.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, toseaornottosea said:

For those of you who have done both Antartica and the Arctic which did you prefer or were they both great for different reasons.  Would love to hear from those who have done both.

We've been to Antarctica and South Georgia, as well as parts of the Arctic in Canada, Greenland and Norway. 

The obvious difference is the Arctic is inhabited, mostly by northern Indigenous peoples, whether Inuit, Mikmaq, Sami or others.  There are opportunities to explore aboriginal villages and to experience a much different culture.  Antarctica has virtually no people, except those who staff the various research stations.  It has an other-worldly feel unlike any other place we've been.  It is nature on steroids. Both have stunning wide-open spaces, spectacular scenery and unique wildlife.  Both leave you grateful to have traveled there and we'd happily return to either.