First Princess Cruise on the Ruby and Feeling Nervous

Schmurg

Just booked a round trip Panama canal on Ruby for Jan 29th sailing yesterday (yey!!). Looking at Medallion app, I see that 3 dining rooms are available - Michelangelo and Da Vinci (Table shared with other Guests), and Boticcelli (private table available). I sailed on Royal princess and Boticcelli was not the MDR. Is it different on Ruby? And does it mean that private tables are not available in Michelangelo and Da Vinci? Any significant differences then? We don't mind sharing the table.

Different ships have different names for their DRs. The Ruby has 3 DRs. Botticelli is on deck 6 aft. Access is from the aft elevators or stairs on deck 7 or above. On exiting the DR you have to go up to deck 7 or above and walk forward. Da Vinci is on deck 6 mid ship. A portion of this DR on the starboard side is used for reserve class dining. Michelangelo DR is on deck 5 mid ship. All DRs have the same menus, and all are basically the same in design. There are no real differences in the DRs.

Private tables are small tables that are placed maybe a foot or less apart and are for one or two people. While they are private, no one sits across from you, people will be just a few feet away on each side. I can't explain why private tables are not offered in the two mid ship DRs. Dine My Way is funky. You can speak with the head waiters once on board to adjust your dining preferences. Remember this is only for dinner. DR daily breakfast and lunch on sea days is open dining in one of the DRs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We may be on the same sailing as you! We are also new to Princess and it has been almost a decade since our last cruise. I am not too worried. I think a vacation is what you make of it. Go into it with reasonable expectations and just enjoy spending time with those you love , doing something fun and different outside of the daily grind. At least, that's what I am hoping to do!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:22 PM, Schmurg said:

Thanks to three of you. Feeling bit better so quickly after posting. 

We are cruising mid July 2024 round trip Vancouver including glacier bay. I did pick a cabin already; a balcony on Baja deck that supposedly has two Pullman’s (mid-forward). 

coming from all the way east in NJ though stopping a couple nights in Toronto first and then flying Toronto to Vancouver. Arrive mid morning the day before and depart the day after we disembark (only flights to EWR were 8AM or red eye so went 8AM following day). 

We are on Ruby to Alaska out of Vancouver July 16th so may be same cruise. We have done 8 cruises with Princess though this will be our first time on Ruby. We have been on her sister ship Emerald Princess and loved it! The full wraparound deck, Adagio Lounge, Skywalkers lounge, Movies Under the Stars and International Cafe in Piazza are some of our favorite places to hang out. The service/food is very good and their elegant decor and quiet ambience are what we prefer when cruising. 

Very good decision to arrive in Vancouver the day before your cruise departs. Hope you and your family enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Actually, the Ruby is an excellent choice, but mainly because of the itinerary. Most of the larger Princess ships go r/t from Seattle, which means more expensive fares, going up and back to Alaska to the west of Vancouver Island, meaning rougher seas and no scenery, and having to make a useless evening stop in Victoria on the way back. N/S routes mean you have to fly into or out of Anchorage and make the long transfer to the ship. Going R/T from Vancouver is nicer, because you go on the East side of Vancouver Island, Ruby is smaller than all the larger ships, which are less maneuverable in some tight turns in Alaska waters, and are too big to fit under the bridge in Vancouver unless they go at times that fit the tides. Ruby won't have any of those problems, and shouldn't be as crowded as the larger ships sailing out of Seattle--a waiter said Royal was sailing at 4,000 much of the time. 

The other advantage of Ruby for Alaska is a promenade that goes around the deck close to the water, whereas the newer, larger ships don't have that at all, just a few aft outside viewing areas. The front of the promenade on Ruby is up a deck but open, so when you're in Glacier Bay that's a great spot to watch wildlife on the ice floes or even for glacier viewing, as is the rest of the promenade, since you're close to the water. The only thing I really dislike about Ruby are the cattle pen buffet areas, where you get funneled into an area, but one way to cope with that is to go all the way aft, since there's another buffet section that's just a couple of long, less chaotic lines, that's usually not crowded, but not always open. Another unique place on Ruby, one also great for viewing, is Skywalker's Nightclub, which is aft but should have some good views during the day. Unfortunately, Ruby doesn't have a covered pool area, like some others, but none of the newer ones do either, except for Majestic, so the pool areas can get pretty cold and windy when the ship is moving. But for Alaska it's not so much the ship as the experience and the sights, and I think you get a better experience on a smaller, older ship, especially with ships sailing so full now. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 4:15 PM, Schmurg said:

Family and I are booked for an Alaska cruise R/T from Vancouver on the Ruby Princess with Glacier Bay.  Haven’t cruised in a while (2017?? Maybe) and then it was NCL. 

Since booking and reading here, Reddit and TripAdvisor feel like I see a lot of complaints about Ruby. From being older but still crowded, not enough casual dining for Plus, feeling dated, etc etc.  

Did we make a mistake with the Ruby or am I only reading and picking up the negative?

We cruised on the Ruby in August and we had a great time.  Crew was amazing and in spite of Ruby being an older ship everything looked pretty good.  

The MDR's and buffet were tasty and the crew shined in that respect too with their great service.

There is always negative remarks about things but I think it was a really fun cruise.   Once again it is an older ship so compared to the Discovery it won't look as new obviously but we certainly would sail again on the Ruby.   Alaska is our favorite destination, scenery is breathtakingly beautiful.  The trolley excursions are so fun.  Have a great time!

On 10/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, trin880 said:

Just booked a round trip Panama canal on Ruby for Jan 29th sailing yesterday (yey!!). Looking at Medallion app, I see that 3 dining rooms are available - Michelangelo and Da Vinci (Table shared with other Guests), and Boticcelli (private table available). I sailed on Royal princess and Boticcelli was not the MDR. Is it different on Ruby? And does it mean that private tables are not available in Michelangelo and Da Vinci? Any significant differences then? We don't mind sharing the table.

We never had a problem getting a private table in the Ruby in any of the diningrooms this past August.  Hope that helps.