First Princess Cruise on the Ruby and Feeling Nervous

Schmurg

Family and I are booked for an Alaska cruise R/T from Vancouver on the Ruby Princess with Glacier Bay.  Haven’t cruised in a while (2017?? Maybe) and then it was NCL. 

Since booking and reading here, Reddit and TripAdvisor feel like I see a lot of complaints about Ruby. From being older but still crowded, not enough casual dining for Plus, feeling dated, etc etc.  

Did we make a mistake with the Ruby or am I only reading and picking up the negative?

• Like 1

It is going into a full dry dock in Portland tomorrow. It should be all sparkling after that.  If you need tons of casual food venues than non of the non Royal class ships would be what you want. We love the Ruby and do not like the Royal class ships which in my opinion have the noisiest piazzas in the fleet

• Like 7

Are you booked for 2024 (I think the Alaskan 2023 Season is officially over)?

I prefer the older Grand/Gem class ships.  Any ship will be fine....IF it includes Glacier Bay.  The fact that you are cruising in/out of Vancouver is a plus.  Seattle is easier, but less time in ports since you have to "travel" up to Alaska.  Plus only 7 days.  

You don't say when the cruise is or where you are coming from.  If you are overnighting in Vancouver, Pan Pacific Hotel is the top of the line hotels to stay at.  If you are coming from afar, Vancouver has so much to offer pre-cruise.

Have you chosen your cabins yet?  

Yes. the newer ships (Royal Class) has more bells and whistles, but the Grand/Gem class ship has more charm and warmth (in my opinion).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Schmurg said:

Family and I are booked for an Alaska cruise R/T from Vancouver on the Ruby Princess with Glacier Bay.  Haven’t cruised in a while (2017?? Maybe) and then it was NCL. 

Since booking and reading here, Reddit and TripAdvisor feel like I see a lot of complaints about Ruby. From being older but still crowded, not enough casual dining for Plus, feeling dated, etc etc.  

Did we make a mistake with the Ruby or am I only reading and picking up the negative?

Yes, you're focusing on the negative for whatever reason.

Ruby is lovely, well maintained and has plenty of dining options for her size. And, she's a great size, has a wonderful nightclub, Adagio for a lovely quiet lounge during the day and music in the evenings, great aft pool, full wraparound promenade deck, larger balconies, etc.. 

3 casual dining venues - Vines, Salty Dog Gastropub and Crab Shack (when on Alaskan sailings).  Same amount of casual dining as Royal, for instance.. 

She's a great ship, I wouldn't hesitate.. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to three of you. Feeling bit better so quickly after posting. 

We are cruising mid July 2024 round trip Vancouver including glacier bay. I did pick a cabin already; a balcony on Baja deck that supposedly has two Pullman’s (mid-forward). 

coming from all the way east in NJ though stopping a couple nights in Toronto first and then flying Toronto to Vancouver. Arrive mid morning the day before and depart the day after we disembark (only flights to EWR were 8AM or red eye so went 8AM following day). 

• Like 5

This is your first cruise with Princess and some anxiety is understandale. 

Generally, people make their feelings/fears then search for reasons to justify them.

You found what you wanted to see.

After 16 cruises with Princess, I agree with the above posters.

Two of those were on the Ruby and sister ship Emerald.

• Like 2

We have 35 cruises on Princess and our Princess to Alaska was from Vancouver. Princess does Alaska better than any other cruise line. You will have a wonderful time. If you can go try to see Victoria. If you take the railroad to Canada excursion, sit on the left side for the best scenery.The train reverses but everyone is asleep on the way down. Bring layers even in July. 

We are also booked on the Ruby to Alaska next summer, leaving out of Vancouver. I too have some buyer’s remorse after reading reviews-yikes!  We are not new to cruising but are new to Princess. Our last cruise in March 2020 was cancelled so we haven’t cruised since 2018. I wonder if part of why people are so disgruntled is from the fallout from covid.  We purchased Princess Plus which I hope is the best choice. It’s difficult figuring out the casual dining options, or other things like if there is a juice bar served at one of the bars. We don’t have massive expectations and are not too difficult to please but many of the reviews are pretty terrible . It’s good to see the reassurances from other cruisers who have sailed on the Ruby. She certainly looks beautiful!  

• Like 1

Ruby will be in dry dock/wet dock for just under a month starting tomorrow. It will be all spiffed up. I have read there will be the normal hull and mechanical maintenance. Indoors it's reported that cabins receiving all new bedding. New carpets and more. watch for reports there should be plenty of them. You can search on line for Ruby 2023 dry dock for additional information.

For Alaska the Ruby has a full promenade for excellent viewing. It also has lots of great upper deck forward, aft and side viewing areas. There will be a few casual dining locations, the Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar and Vines. I wouldn't focus on casual dining. There are plenty of no charge locations to dine 24 hours a day. Personally I prefer the older Grand Class ships over the Royal Class. Crowds? Probably yes. You are sailing to Alaska. Alaska tends to have many families on board with 3 & 4 in the cabins. It swells the ship population close to the upper limit. You will have this situation on any ship sailing to Alaska. Early and late season sailings when schools are still in session may be the exceptions.   

• Like 3

I’ve sailed on the Ruby a few times, the most recent being last October. For an older ship, she’s pretty nice. We have a group going on her again, next month, for a Panama Canal cruise. 

She has a beautiful Promenade deck and a really nice Crooner’s bar. I’m sure you will have a great time in Alaska.

• Like 3

Trying to decide between the Ruby and the Grand to Hawaii in 2025. I know the Ruby is slightly newer and will be emerging from dry dock in the near future. Otherwise, they sound essentially the same...other than departure ports. Leaning towards Ruby, unless someone can change my mind.

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Trying to decide between the Ruby and the Grand to Hawaii in 2025. I know the Ruby is slightly newer and will be emerging from dry dock in the near future. Otherwise, they sound essentially the same...other than departure ports. Leaning towards Ruby, unless someone can change my mind.

A couple of major differences would be the lack of Alfredro’s pizza on the Ruby and the lack of Skywalker’s on the Grand. The Grand does have the One Five nightclub though. The Grand doesn’t have the Adagio bar. Another difference is that the Grand has a covered pool and the Ruby doesn’t. I would still probably go with the Ruby. 

Edited by partybarbie
  • Thanks 1

The Grand and Jewel class Princess ship have the best viewing for AK cruising.  They have a covered promenade deck 360 degrees around the ship.  The front of the promenade is called the clam shell and perfect when the rain starts.  You can walk on top of the bridge for spectacular views.  In the evening after 7PM or earlier if you are Platinum or above  sit and watch the sunset from the Skywalker lounge on the top back of the ship.  We once saw a huge humpback whale breach close to the ship from skywalkers.     

You can't do any of that on the newer ships.  My2cents...

On 9/23/2023 at 7:15 PM, Schmurg said:

The Ruby is a nice ship. Remember bad post reports are only a small portion of all the cruisers. Very few people write I had a great time. Relax, enjoy and have a good time. You're on a cruise in Alaska.

Itineraries may be the same.  The HUGE difference is who will be your Hawaiian Ambassadors to teach ukulele and hula.  They will also do the port talks.

My first choice would be ELUA.

Second would be the couple for Samoa.

Unfortunately, their assignments do not come before you have to pick your cruise (for best selections of cabins).  

Me....I love the Grand.  So much smaller.  Covered Pool.  Alfredos......which make up for some of her "short comings".

10 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Ruby last year and we had a wonderful time! We laughed so hard when we read comments from people complaining that she had some rust on her hull. We had to go looking for it just to see. It was no big deal - I would have never noticed it. Some people love to complain.

The beds were comfy, the cabin clean, the food good and the staff was excellent. We enjoyed the entertainment and games. No complaints at all! But let me say that we prefer this class of ship - it's a little smaller and simpler. We don't really love the mega ships with waterslides and central parks. 😉

• Like 5

On 9/24/2023 at 1:57 PM, partybarbie said:

A couple of major differences would be the lack of Alfredro’s pizza on the Ruby and the lack of Skywalker’s on the Grand. The Grand does have the One Five nightclub though. The Grand doesn’t have the Adagio bar. Another difference is that the Grand has a covered pool and the Ruby doesn’t. I would still probably go with the Ruby. 

Would you know about issues with the drought in Panama, we booked Ruby feb '24

On 9/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, bigcat1 said:

Would you know about issues with the drought in Panama, we booked Ruby feb '24

I probably know as much as anyone else. CNN is reporting that it is a problem, but it seems to apply more to cargo ships than cruise ships. Ships are still going through, just not as many, and there are weight restrictions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

I probably know as much as anyone else. CNN is reporting that it is a problem, but it seems to apply more to cargo ships than cruise ships. Ships are still going through, just not as many, and there are weight restrictions. 

And the cruise ships are very big money for the canal. They’ll get through.

• Like 3