Newbie Questions

AmoMondo

I’m not new to cruising but am to VV. Booked my first cruise with them (Med cruise next year) and am glad to see the threads about the app being a bit flaky - thought it was just me.

So I have applied for my status match and got it. Are there any other forms that I need to be completing through the website or app now or do them after i have made final payment?

When making the booking, they said you would get an option to spread the cost in instalments. I never saw that option, so paid the 20%. can I make monthly payments myself rather than wait until the balance is due? Am I better doing that on the website or is that possible on the app?

Is it just dinner that I need to prebook on he app or afternoon tea or do I also have to prebook lunch? I’m hoping not as I usually go ashore myself without excursions and sometime I come back onboard for lunch but other times I don’t and I never know what i will do until the day itself. So if I decided to come back onboard, are there any options for lunch without a booking?

I presume for breakfast, you just go when you feel like it during their opening hours?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make sure I understand how things will work.

As a newbie myself with one VV cruise under my belt and another booked, I'll try to answer some of your restaurant questions.

We found it very helpful to have dinner reservations - we wanted to change one night to something different, our first choice said No, our second choice said Yes.  Most of the restaurants are pretty large, and we noticed that in many of them there are communal tables which I (think) you're traveling alone so that might be a good option for you.

The Galley is their answer to the buffet, and it's just come whenever, eat whatever, sit whereever.  It's more like a food court, with Panini sandwiches in one place, Sushi/bento, tacos, burgers, etc. etc. many other choices.  I think it used to be that you had to sit and get waited on, but we didn't find that on Scarlet Lady, everyone just walked up to the counters and ordered what they wanted, often they would bring it to you if they could see where you were sitting.  A couple of times we just sat and ordered breakfast and had it brought to us.  I've just found out you can have a more upscale breakfast in the Wake and we're looking forward to trying that next time.

As far as booking lunch, do book Razzle Dazzle.  It was very busy and the food was great.  And another wonderful casual lunch was in the Dock and Dockside (indoors or out) - wonderful small middle eastern mezze plates.  We weren't crazy about the pizza set-up, whole pies only (not huge, but too much for one).  Wish they had slices.

I'm having trouble finding afternoon tea - what restaurant is that in?

We also status matched and you'll get an additional wristband which entitles you to several perks - additional bar tab, fancy coffees once a day, bag of laundry, some other stuff.

I also had troubles with the app so can't help you there.  I'm sure others will be along to answer your questions.

You will want to pre-book dinner, even if you adjust your reservations after boarding.  You CAN pre-book brunch/breakfast in Razzle Dazzle or The Wake, or just take your chances if you choose to dine there for breakfast.  You can also have breakfast in The Galley or get pastries at The Grounds Club without reservations.  Outside The Galley and The Dock are Grab and Go boxes that you can get any time.

You can try a walk up at any restaurant, any time it is open.  We've only once been turned away, but we've never been on a totally full sailing.

Tea is an activity that you'll book after boarding.  

I don't know how travel agent work in the UK, but in the US a "gold tier" agent (meaning top training thru VV) can often get you discounts and perks that you won't get by booking directly thru VV.  You might even check to see whether it is worth  moving your reservation.  If you have booked a Sea Terrace or above, you can often get a "my next virgin Voyages " certificate thru a TA which will give you a $300 discount and $600 in onboard credit (called "loot" on VV).  In addition, based on timing, you can sometimes get even more deals!  If you use an agent, you make payments thru them.  If you keep your "on your own" booking, you can pay it off whenever you wish.  If you pay in full prior to 180 days, you'll get 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket.

THe status match is by cabin, not per person.  You will get $10 USD per day credit at The Grounds Club (specialty coffee and tea), $100 bar tab, one load of laundry, a cocktail party invitation, priority boarding, etc.  The wrist band mentioned in an above post can be removed right after boarding--it is a ribbon band and tends to get into food, etc. if you continue wearing it.  

7 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

Sun Club near Richards Rooftop has poke bowls that are awesome, not always busy because it's a little out of the way. 

Tea is at Sip champagne bar 

cat's outta the bag  😊

• Haha 1

We both status matched and we both got the $10 specialty coffee  each day.  We were both invited to the cocktail party.

I wrapped my blue band around the other thing and it was fine....we showed it when we got our free coffees - are you saying that they know the coffees are free some other way?  (I honestly can't recall if they scanned our wristbands).

The coffee credit is automatically linked to your account.  We never needed to show anything to get it.  The Grounds Club person charged it by scanning the wristband, then the accounting system removed $10 per cabin.  Same for the laundry.  The premium wifi is per number of devices; the owner of the device doesn't matter.  Yes, everyone in the cabin gets priority boarding, invitation to the cocktail party whether they have status or not.  I've been seeing posts recently about each person in the cabin getting a $100 bar tab; on our two upcoming sailings it shows only one although we both qualify and got the acceptance email.

5 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The coffee credit is automatically linked to your account.  We never needed to show anything to get it.  The Grounds Club person charged it by scanning the wristband, then the accounting system removed $10 per cabin.  Same for the laundry.  The premium wifi is per number of devices; the owner of the device doesn't matter.  Yes, everyone in the cabin gets priority boarding, invitation to the cocktail party whether they have status or not.  I've been seeing posts recently about each person in the cabin getting a $100 bar tab; on our two upcoming sailings it shows only one although we both qualify and got the acceptance email.

Well I'll be...we were only getting the specialty coffees because we thought they were both "free", if I would learn to read I'd have known.  Good thing we had way too much bar credit, and will again next time.  Honestly, I think those perks should be "per person", since you are 2 in the Cabin.

Thanks for all the great information. Looks like I’ll be booking before I go. Might also book breakfast or lunch in the ports I have been to before and not so eager to be off the ship all day.

yrs I’m travelling alone and booked directly rather than use a TA.

I didn’t know about wristbands. On the 3 lines I cruised with before, it was cruise cards that doubled up as your room key (except Coral Expeditions, they just got you to sign for anything extra charge but there were only 88 pax).

I’ll keep reading the threads on here as you don’t know what may be different until you see it mentioned.

Hopefully the app will have lost some of its kinks by the time I need to use it to make reservations.

You will be issued a wristband at check in that will serve as your room key, charge device, etc.  In addition, since you have the status match, you'll get a ribbon bracelet.  You do not need to WEAR the wristband--you can carry it in a pocket or whatever.  You just need to have it.

Since you are a solo, there is a solo meet and greet on the pool deck--embarkation day prior to sail away.  There is also a solo dinner that evening in RD; usually it is 6:30, no reservations needed.  You get to meet some of the Happenings Cast as well as other solo sailors.  On our long cruises, there have been solo activities on most sea days.

If you have difficulty making reservations, you can call VV shoreside sailor services and they can do it for you.

• Like 1

You get used to the wristband, and don't have to worry about leaving a keycard someplace.

Wristband was not what I expected - I thought it would be some thing that you "looked" at but it's like a lanyard that wraps around and has sort of a plastic oval thing that gets scanned, and that you hold up to your door to get in.  It's waterproof so we literally never took it off - it's very light and you don't even know it's there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cantgetin said:

everyone in the cabin gets priority boarding

How does priority boarding work? We booked less than 3 weeks before our upcoming cruise on Scarlet Lady and have a 3:45 arrival time, but I recently submitted evidence of our Elite status on Celebrity so if/when that is approved we should have "priority boarding," whatever that means. It would be nice to get on the ship as early as possible because we also were not able to get any pre-cruise dinner reservations and I'll be desperate to sort that out when we board. (I've heard everything from "don't worry you'll be fine" to "we could not get any reservations after boarding except a couple at 9:30 pm which is too late). 

Priority boarding means you can show up any time from 1:30 on (used to be 1pm, but changed to 1:30).  You will go to a desk that is labeled "Sailing Club" and get a ribbon wrist band IF they can find you in their system (don't ask). and you will be immediately admitted into the terminal.  You have a special line if you are there as boarding opens rather than the timed lines.  Your line will board right after Rockstar and Touch of Romance.  We have always been in our room within 15 minutes of the start of  boarding the Rockstars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/24/2023 at 6:32 AM, AmoMondo said:

I’m not new to cruising but am to VV. Booked my first cruise with them (Med cruise next year) and am glad to see the threads about the app being a bit flaky - thought it was just me.

So I have applied for my status match and got it. Are there any other forms that I need to be completing through the website or app now or do them after i have made final payment?

When making the booking, they said you would get an option to spread the cost in instalments. I never saw that option, so paid the 20%. can I make monthly payments myself rather than wait until the balance is due? Am I better doing that on the website or is that possible on the app?

Is it just dinner that I need to prebook on he app or afternoon tea or do I also have to prebook lunch? I’m hoping not as I usually go ashore myself without excursions and sometime I come back onboard for lunch but other times I don’t and I never know what i will do until the day itself. So if I decided to come back onboard, are there any options for lunch without a booking?

I presume for breakfast, you just go when you feel like it during their opening hours?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make sure I understand how things will work.

Glad you posted.  We just booked our first VV - fire & sunset soirée.  This is all great info.  

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 6:32 AM, AmoMondo said:

You had to go through the Uplift qualification process before booking. Basically Uplift pays for your entire cruise with a loan and you pay back the loan. If you simply went through the process of booking and paying, you bypassed that process. You should be able to set custom payment amounts anything through the app to make smaller payments before final payment. Travel agents do this all the time and they can also apply the 10% Pay In Full discount for you if you're ready to pay in full at least 180 days prior to sail date. 

Everyone else has given you great advice on your main questions. I'll add a few of my tips. 

When you get onboard, drop off your bags in your room and head down to the The Dock at the very back of Deck 7. Great tapas and beautiful space to start your vacation.

The pool area is generally full on sea days, and even sometimes on port days later in the day. One of my favorite places to chill is what I call the 'porches' on either side of Deck 7 midship, right outside the Roundabout. Big open patios with varied seating down near the waterline.  One of side of the ship will be in full sun and the other side will offer shade. 

If you want to partake in some of the fun group exercise classes like 80's Workout and 90' Boy Band Dance Class, register for those as soon as you're on the ship WiFi, they sell out fast. But even if they sell out, there may be additional space or some people won't show up. Just show up at the appointed time and place and they might let you in. 

If you're sensitive to really loud music, like outdoor concert loud, bring earplugs for the Scarlet Night pool party. It's a fantastic party that gets crazier as it goes, but it's basically the volume of an outdoor concert. Earplugs makes that evening much more enjoyable for me. 

Here's a food tour I created from our first trip on Scarlet Lady. It might help with some of your dinner planning. The Poke Bowl on Deck 16 is not here because it has irregular hours and we didn't catch it on this cruise. But it's a great alternative when it's open.

https://youtu.be/pBolzKvXjMU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Loved the food tour video CruisingWalter. gave me a great insight into all the options. It’s the Scarlet lady I’m booked on (although I think the restaurants are the same on all the fleet). The Test kitchen looks amazing. the others b looked pretty good too. Not sure about the Korean one, not from a food point of view but the loud party atmosphere!.

I wear hearing aids, so no earplugs required - one of their programmes is mute - which I use in the office when I’m trying to concentrate but it has other uses too.

Thanks also for the information on the solo events. not sure if i will try those or not. I’m kind of an introvert but might try the first event to see how it goes.

I was in 2 minds about booking this cruise line because of my age and introverted nature but the food was the major appeal and the cabins look great too. I will go to the shows too but will be just as happy with my kindle in my hammock or in those quieter porches.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my questions. they have all been helpful.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AmoMondo said:

Loved the food tour video CruisingWalter. gave me a great insight into all the options. It’s the Scarlet lady I’m booked on (although I think the restaurants are the same on all the fleet). The Test kitchen looks amazing. the others b looked pretty good too. Not sure about the Korean one, not from a food point of view but the loud party atmosphere!.

I wear hearing aids, so no earplugs required - one of their programmes is mute - which I use in the office when I’m trying to concentrate but it has other uses too.

Thanks also for the information on the solo events. not sure if i will try those or not. I’m kind of an introvert but might try the first event to see how it goes.

I was in 2 minds about booking this cruise line because of my age and introverted nature but the food was the major appeal and the cabins look great too. I will go to the shows too but will be just as happy with my kindle in my hammock or in those quieter porches.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my questions. they have all been helpful.

The restaurants are the same on all ships although there was a new  Razzle Dazzle menu that started on Resilient, not sure if it has moved to the other ships yet.  You will not be out of place.  I'm almost 70 and am quite introverted; I usually travel with my adult daughter.  Like you, I am totally happy with a book in the hammock, and in general have been less than thrilled with some of the entertainment.  Overall the food is great, but tuck a salt shaker or some other seasonings in a carry bag.

Gunbae is not as wild as some of the ads and videos make it look.  You'll have the drinking game at the beginning (I think they use it to take up time while the grill is heating), but after that it isn't bad at all. And they'll happily put water in your glass if you prefer.  But again, whatever works for you based on your preferences and length of cruise.

Thank you can’t get in, that is quite reassuring.

My cruise is a 7 night med cruise with just one sea day. I have been to 4 of the 6 ports several times but 2 new ones to explore.

I’ll be selective about the entertainment most likely but with a beautiful ship, great food and weather and some new places to explore that will keep me entertained.

I’m still working full time despite having passed the normal retirement age, so I enjoy relaxing on cruises rather than charging about trying to pack in as many things as I can - that’s what my working week is like!

• Like 2