Alaska Princesslodges tours (non cruise) insight

cusematt4

Hi All,

While we were hoping to book a pre-cruise land tour with the cruise line before our first trip to Alaska, we cannot justify an additional $7,000 from the cruise only fare.  Especially since land-tour only includes lodging and transport with 1 guided tour only.  Food and tours would be extra.

We still do want to go down 3 or so days prior to our first time Alaska trip/cruise.

It is very difficult to find information and reviews on what seems to be a Princess Cruises subsidiary company called "Princess Lodges".  They have their own website called PrincessLodges dot com.

-Does anyone know if this company is actually owned by Princess cruises?

-Has anyone done a rail tour with this company?  If so, how does it compare to the pre-cruise land tour?  It would be significantly cheaper and would go to the same destinations for the same amount of time (i.e. - a combo of Anchorage, Denali and/or Mt. McKinley

-Does anyone know what the difference is besides not being with a tour group of people who will be on the cruise and having the cruise connection transfer organized?  Even the lodges at each location seem to be the same as a pre-cruise tour.

We would appreciate anyone with experience doing a rail tour through this company to see a little of Anchorage and Denali for 2-3 nights as reviews are hard to find, but they seem to have a number of rail tours and tours in general daily from May-Sept.  The money we'd spend on this + food and a couple of excursions would still likely come to substantially less than the pre-cruise land tour additional cost without food/excursions.

Thanks so much.

@cusematt4 Can you please consolidate all of your questions into one thread and ask a mod to delete the rest? You've posted about a dozen threads on this subject, both here and on the Princess forum.

Not trying to be rude, but it's hard to know what you need help with when you keep posting slight variations to the same thing every couple of hours. 

Apologies for the duplicate posts but they are all regarding different topics, many posts of which others seem to find pretty helpful and also have confusion on.

This one in particular relates to insight/experience and confusion with non-cruise PrincessLodges rail tours and how that compares to (similar/different from Princess-cruise add on land tours).  There are significant price differences, with the land-tour for the cruise seeming to be a similar experience but a $6,000 difference.

Others have related to and have helped us get to this point by discussing

-Princess cruise-sponsored land tours

-Princess Alaska shore excursions

-Princess vs non Princess Alaska options

-Experiences in Alaska with or without Princess

-Alaska advise and insight

Apologies if the posts appear to be duplicates, really appreciate everyone's help with all of this and insight.

• 2 months later...

I suggest you CALL the 800-number on that website and ask your questions.

In 2010, we were in an RV and camped at the campground adjoining the Kenai Princess Lodge over Memorial Day weekend and ate at their restaurant. (Many of the employees at the Lodge were residing in RVs at the campground.)   In 2022, we were 1 day off a Princess northbound cruise and were staying at Summit Lake Lodge on the highway to Seward.  The internet didn't work there, so we drove to the Kenai Princess Lodge and I explained my situation and the manager allowed me to use their internet.  I have tried to book a Princess Lodge room at various times, but have had no success being able to book a room like booking a regular hotel. 

20 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

I suggest you CALL the 800-number on that website and ask your questions.

In 2010, we were in an RV and camped at the campground adjoining the Kenai Princess Lodge over Memorial Day weekend and ate at their restaurant. (Many of the employees at the Lodge were residing in RVs at the campground.)   In 2022, we were 1 day off a Princess northbound cruise and were staying at Summit Lake Lodge on the highway to Seward.  The internet didn't work there, so we drove to the Kenai Princess Lodge and I explained my situation and the manager allowed me to use their internI have tried to book a Princess Lodge room at various times, but have had no success being able to book a room like booking a regular hotel. 

Interesting post.  We drive to Denali frequently during the summer and have probably stayed at the Denali Princess Lodge around thirty times.  We have also stayed at the McKinley View Princess multiple times (over ten times) as it is a convenient place to stop when driving home from Seward.  We have also stayed at the Copper River Princess.  None of these stays were while on a cruise tour.  We just call the facility and book. Never had an issue.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, cusematt4 said:

-Does anyone know if this company is actually owned by Princess cruises?

Yes. The lodges are owned and operated by Princess Cruises. Mostly used to house their "Cruisetour" passengers, but can be booked individually. We've stayed at the McKinley Princess Lodge before. Nothing special about it.

For Denali, I think it's better to use a rental car over the train. More options in lodging, dining and activities. 

I have a friend who did use that website and booked hotels and trains that way. They thought it was fine. Their only complaint in one location - they ended up at a Holland America hotel as opposed to a Princess hotel.

Princess, Holland America, their hotels and Grayline are all owned by the same company.