Driver for Sorrento and Ravello

LDL1220

My group (4 adults) have decided they want to visit Sorrento and Ravello when we are in Naples in May.  We are in port from 6:30a-4:30p.  I have contacted several tour operators but most have set tours that include Positano, Amali, etc. and we don't want those stops.  Has anyone used a private car service they can recommend?  I have contacted Ravello Taxi and have been quoted 640 euros for our party which I thought was a bit high but maybe not.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you kindly,

Lisa 

1 hour ago, LDL1220 said:

My group (4 adults) have decided they want to visit Sorrento and Ravello when we are in Naples in May.  We are in port from 6:30a-4:30p.  I have contacted several tour operators but most have set tours that include Positano, Amali, etc. and we don't want those stops.  Has anyone used a private car service they can recommend? 

Odd that the tour companies didn't offer you a private option. 

Some vendor names I've saved from past trip reports include: Joe Banana Limos, Rome in Limo, ItalyTours.eu,  Aldo Limo, ItalyTourSharing, and TaxiMisterCabDriver.   

Edited by mapleleaves

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Odd that the tour companies didn't offer you a private option. 

Some vendor names I've saved from past trip reports include: Joe Banana Limos, Rome in Limo, ItalyTours.eu,  Aldo Limo, ItalyTourSharing, and TaxiMisterCabDriver.   

Maybe Sorrento and Ravello is not an option in my time frame?  I was offered a combo of Ravello, Amalfi, Positano etc. I am not really knowledgeable to the distances between the two stops I have requested.  I am really not interested in Positano, Amalfi or Capri based on what I have read with regard to the crowds. I would prefer more time at one destination than limited time in many. None of us are interested in shopping. Maybe I should just plan on going to Ravello.  Thoughts?

Edited by LDL1220

55 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

Maybe Sorrento and Ravello is not an option in my time frame?  I was offered a combo of Ravello, Amalfi, Positano etc. I am not really knowledgeable to the distances between the two stops I have requested.  I am really not interested in Positano, Amalfi or Capri based on what I have read with regard to the crowds. I would prefer more time at one destination than limited time in many. None of us are interested in shopping. Maybe I should just plan on going to Ravello.  Thoughts?

Ravello is TINY.  I think it would be hard to occupy yourself for more than a couple of hours there. There's the Duomo and piazza in front of it, the Villa Rufolo and gardens, and the Villa Cimbrone (now a hotel). Not that much else especially if you're not into shopping.

image.png.01d5db6c1a6885fb1172d81ec6fbe1dc.png

Also, what would you want to do in Sorrento? It's as crowded as Positano or Amalfi most days and not half as charming. It's mostly about shopping, overpriced gelato, and lacklustre restaurants.

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ravello is TINY.  I think it would be hard to occupy yourself for more than a couple of hours there. There's the Duomo and piazza in front of it, the Villa Rufolo and gardens, and the Villa Cimbrone (now a hotel). Not that much else especially if you're not into shopping.

image.png.01d5db6c1a6885fb1172d81ec6fbe1dc.png

Also, what would you want to do in Sorrento? It's as crowded as Positano or Amalfi most days and not half as charming. It's mostly about shopping, overpriced gelato, and lacklustre restaurants.

I really don't know. I'm just trying to avoid craziness which may be an impossibility. I value your insight greatly. Any other suggestions? None of us are shoppers on a grand scale. We are more interested in beautiful scenery, art, architecture and a nice meal. 

Edited by LDL1220

This was my experience from Sept 2019.  There were 4 of us (mid 60's to mid 70's).  We wanted to see Pompeii AND the Amalfi Coast, but there's only so much you can do in a day!  We decided that the Amalfi Coast was our priority, and chose a private tour so that we could decide the itinerary. 400E.

I had been to Cinque Terre previously and the highlight for me was viewing the villages from the sea, so we added a ferry to our Amalfi trip.  The vendor suggested an early start to avoid as much traffic as possible, so we met our driver at 7:30am.  We made several stops for photos along the way to our first destination, Positano.  No crowds at all and we loved it !  Spent about 90 minutes there, then hopped on a Travelmar ferry to Amalfi. It was a beautiful day and the ferry ride was spectacular.  We spent about 90 minutes in Amalfi then met our driver. Amalfi was getting crowded, esp around the cathedral.   I wanted to sightsee and grab a quick lunch, but the driver suggested a nice restaurant outside Ravello.  The others liked his idea so that's what we did. The meal was so-so but the views were great.  We spent about 90 minutes in Ravello. Not many people around. The views from the Villa Rufalo were awesome. Best photos of the trip.  We didn't retrace our steps back to Naples; went the back way thru the mountains. It was a fantastic day!

I would encourage you to do some research on the various towns of the Amalfi Coast and come up with an itinerary that suits your interests. Borrow guide books from the library, view video on YouTube. 

Visit the Amalfi Coast Italy - Amalfi Coast Travel guide (amalfitanacoast.com)

53 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

This was my experience from Sept 2019.  There were 4 of us (mid 60's to mid 70's).  We wanted to see Pompeii AND the Amalfi Coast, but there's only so much you can do in a day!  We decided that the Amalfi Coast was our priority, and chose a private tour so that we could decide the itinerary. 400E.

I had been to Cinque Terre previously and the highlight for me was viewing the villages from the sea, so we added a ferry to our Amalfi trip.  The vendor suggested an early start to avoid as much traffic as possible, so we met our driver at 7:30am.  We made several stops for photos along the way to our first destination, Positano.  No crowds at all and we loved it !  Spent about 90 minutes there, then hopped on a Travelmar ferry to Amalfi. It was a beautiful day and the ferry ride was spectacular.  We spent about 90 minutes in Amalfi then met our driver. Amalfi was getting crowded, esp around the cathedral.   I wanted to sightsee and grab a quick lunch, but the driver suggested a nice restaurant outside Ravello.  The others liked his idea so that's what we did. The meal was so-so but the views were great.  We spent about 90 minutes in Ravello. Not many people around. The views from the Villa Rufalo were awesome. Best photos of the trip.  We didn't retrace our steps back to Naples; went the back way thru the mountains. It was a fantastic day!

I would encourage you to do some research on the various towns of the Amalfi Coast and come up with an itinerary that suits your interests. Borrow guide books from the library, view video on YouTube. 

Visit the Amalfi Coast Italy - Amalfi Coast Travel guide (amalfitanacoast.com)

Can I ask who you used? Anything sea related is a plus as my fiance is obsessed with water. He would be thrilled. We all would. Thank you! 

The views from the ferry really were spectacular ,,,,, as you leave Positano you're looking at the beach and the town and then all of a sudden you're drawn to all the homes further up in the mountains. Quite stunning.

If you enjoy the sea, I believe you can do the Amalfi Coast via ferry from Naples.  Skip a tour entirely. Perhaps cruisemom or euro cruiser can provide that info.  Ravello is a bit in-land, so you would need a car, taxi, bus for that portion.

I used Aldo Limo.  They were good to work with as we sorted out the itinerary, and the driver was good about knowing photo ops and local info, and was always willing to stop. I knew ahead of time that drivers might take you to restaurants, shops or factories where they get a cut, so I shouldn't have agreed to the lunch idea. I still hold it against the driver though !

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, LDL1220 said:

My group (4 adults) have decided they want to visit Sorrento and Ravello when we are in Naples in May.  We are in port from 6:30a-4:30p.  I have contacted several tour operators but most have set tours that include Positano, Amali, etc. and we don't want those stops.  Has anyone used a private car service they can recommend?  I have contacted Ravello Taxi and have been quoted 640 euros for our party which I thought was a bit high but maybe not.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you kindly,

Lisa 

Lisa, if you are still looking for a driver from Naples to go to Sorrento and Ravello, I can recommend

Sorrento Coast Limo. www.sorrentocoastlimo.com. English speaking driver. Have used his services twice, both before Covid. He will plan your day to your requests. If you are interested in Pompeii, he can arrange a private guide.