LIVE! First Time Royal Cruiser In Wonder-land Oct 1-8th Let’s Cruise!

11 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

I thought the ribs were pretty good.

You had me at ribs. I'm not picky and rarely get ribs so I don't need KC's best BBQ.

There were a couple other dinner items (apps and dessert) that looked good to me and we know my wife has stuff to eat so we'll likely try it for dinner, we just may only do one specialty dinner per cruise otherwise I'd obviously just do both MJ and Gio's.

It's such a shame your weather has been so disagreeable, but I know you're a seasoned cruiser and you've probably been there done that.  But geez I wish you had had sunshine all this time!  But at least it has forced you to sample more of Miss Wonder's offerings.  We have not had the privilege of riding with her yet (had to cancel one a year ago) but hope to be on her soon. Enjoying riding along with you.  Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

The lobster was PERFECTLY cooked and delicious.

Carnival undercooked my lobster twice on the   Venezia  and I STILL haven’t forgiven them.  Maybe that’s why I’m on Wonder this week! 🥲

0C537EFD-4CE8-4C47-BDCD-32B175E3F2E6.jpeg

@TravelBluebird..that does not look like a Maine lobster (no claws), just checking!  IMO BIG difference in taste.

I am on my tour!  Woke up late, rushed lox and bagel and regular coffee at Park Cafe

Them I got lost on way to my non-ship shore excursion meet up.  Was 5 minutes late and everyone was on bus.  I felt horrid but someone else was MORE late and lost for another 5 minutes.  Phew I hate to be THAT person! 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

This island is beautiful!

Agreed. We took a similar tour all around the island on our first trip a very long time ago.

Now we have a favorite boat/snorkel tour that shows you a lot of the island but from the water and also includes snorkeling, beach, lunch, drinks, etc.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spinelli1107 said:

What tour is that? Is it RCCL or private? 

Private. We only did it once back in 2017 but had an amazing time and will likely go back in March. We've only done Eastern Caribbean once since then and it was with extended family in Sky Class for the first time ever so we mostly stayed with the family onboard and enjoyed the suite perks.

Captain Bob's - https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Private. We only did it once back in 2017 but had an amazing time and will likely go back in March. We've only done Eastern Caribbean once since then and it was with extended family in Sky Class for the first time ever so we mostly stayed with the family onboard and enjoyed the suite perks.

Captain Bob's - https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

We did this tour as well and loved it. We were on the island for a week with another family, and we all had an amazing time. Capt. Bob handles most of the pre-tour communication himself and is great to deal with. We tried to set up a shorter tour for a cruise with a relatively short port day, and Capt. Bob was happy to work with us, but sadly no one else from our sailing signed up. Highly recommend this tour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Capt. Bob handles most of the pre-tour communication himself and is great to deal with.

Agreed. We weren't overly experienced in booking private excursions at the time and dealing with him and how well-organized everything was made us completely comfortable with them. Don't think we've booked anything through RC since.

Even with all his amazing reviews on TripAdvisor and here, having someone tell you over e-mail to just walk out of the port, go down the road, take a left at Chesterfield's Bar (I think that's the name), go to the dock and ask for "Bob" sounds just a bit sketchy but of course it wasn't.

Were you there before Hurricane Irma destroyed the little shack of a bar he used to take guests for lunch? I still remember having freshly grilled fish there. We'll still have a great time now that he serves sandwiches, we're not there to eat, but it was just one more nice little touch.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Were you there before Hurricane Irma destroyed the little shack of a bar he used to take guests for lunch? I still remember having freshly grilled fish there. We'll still have a great time now that he serves sandwiches, we're not there to eat, but it was just one more nice little touch.

Yes, we were there in 2015! I think that place was in Grand Case. It wasn't much to look at, but the food was plentiful and tasty!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Another great private excursion in St. Marten is Random Wind and Celine!  Done both and both amazing!

We did the Random Wind years ago as well. My understanding is their original sailboat was irreparably damaged during Hurricane Irma. I'm glad to see they're back in action! Their Tarzan swing was so much fun. My husband won "King of the Swing" the day we were onboard (beating out a 15 year old boy who was pretty bummed about losing to someone who probably seemed like an old guy to him). Fun times!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Yes, we were there in 2015! I think that place was in Grand Case. It wasn't much to look at, but the food was plentiful and tasty!

Exactly. Somehow I liked it even more because of how it looked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It's such a shame your weather has been so disagreeable, but I know you're a seasoned cruiser and you've probably been there done that.  But geez I wish you had had sunshine all this time!  But at least it has forced you to sample more of Miss Wonder's offerings.  We have not had the privilege of riding with her yet (had to cancel one a year ago) but hope to be on her soon. Enjoying riding along with you.  Thanks for the memories.

Today was a PERFECT sunny Caribbean day; sunny sunny sunny!  Warm but not TOO hot.

My soul is happy.

And Miss Wonder has certainly kept me busy!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TYMAN said:

PS…..haven’t found Ms Dee yet, she’s a on the go all the time young lady. 😂

I know LOL I don’t ever sit still 😂

Well, I DID sit still for an entire 1/2 hour at the beach today!

Would love to meet you!  I’m not sure what I’m doing after dinner yet, but mostly chillin!

• Like 1

Sorry for the semi-live nature of today (and yesterday) When I take these long excursions, I end up having to conserve phone battery for photos and videos.  Didn’t want to also drag around my small Insta 360 camera too, although I think I’m going to do that more because of the battery situation (I do have. little portable phone battery which I forgot to pack),

ANYWAY….

The beginning of my morning was rough (I’ve mentioned I’m not a morning person—waking up before 9am is hard!)

Since I overslept, I didn’t have time for my espresso. Got a quick lox and bagels at Park Cafe and quickly knocked it on the floor. Had to wait for another one to be made. Drank the regular coffee there (it wasn’t bad; I like Lavazza).

Headed back to my room and took the wrong corridor, so I had quite a walk back instead of a short walk back.

STILL got out of ship on time to meet my excursion. I took the “small group”  “St, Maarten Sights, Shopping and Sand”. Here is the description from Shore Excursions Group, through where I booked it:

EXCURSION HIGHLIGHTS

Enjoy an Island Drive and Beach Tour with a twist, visiting parts of the island usually not seen by cruise guests.

Drive towards Cole Bay and Belle Vue, making a photo stop at the Harold Jack lookout point with magnificent views the sea.

Journey to the French capital of Marigot, with free time to explore sidewalk cafes overlooking mega-yachts, open-air markets and more.

Relax, swim and stroll on the white sand beach of Orient Bay.

Get dropped off downtown in Philipsburg for shopping or taken back to the pier.

All of that was TRUE excedpt that walking up to the Harold Jack lookout was too dangerous (rocky not paved and steep, and we didn’t stop in downtown Phillipsburg on the way back, but I’m sure that the Guide would have if someone wanted to.

About 20 people in the group.  Small, well air conditioned van.  

D8336AC4-11B4-4B5D-B17D-0740E9A665CA.jpeg

• Like 3

I left the ship still with plenty of time..we were supposed to arrive by 9:05,

HA,

My husband would tell you I’m awful with directions.  He is right.  I couldn’t find either landmark (information center or Little Swiss) on the map, but I did see the 2 taxi circles on the map and a white tent. Walked over there,..no EDC tent (meeting spot). Wrong tent.  Someone gave me directions…

And I showed up at van 1 minute after it was supposed to leave at 9:15.  Everyone was on the bus and glared at me.  I felt AWFUL until I found out I wasn’t the last person to arrive. Two other people were lost and it took them another 10 minutes to find us.  I’m going to do a YouTube short on how to find the meeting spot with actual photos of the tent, for future crusiers.

Here is said tent in case you ever want to find it:  

59A4E20D-1896-45B4-948F-6FAF858A7716.jpeg

• Like 3

The tour itself was GREAT! Nell our tour guide was Awesome; informative, fun, and a good driver.  He also plied the van with free liquor and drinks (I got a coke; there was beers and the local guavaberry liquor which was quite good (I did taste that). Fun group of people as well

Started the day briefly driving through Phillipsburg, which is on the Dutch side of the island (as is the cruise port). Then we crossed the island to the French side.  There are no barriers or passports needed, just FYI.

We stopped in Marigot, and I had an early lunch there, a johnny cake with salted cod (quite good!) and cheap only $7 for that and a lemonade.  Both sides of the island take American dollars, $1 to 1 Euro on French side.

Walked around and got some photos. Other than culinary, the French side of the island is less developed for tourism.

Then went to Orient Beach.  Evidently part of the beach is clothing optional and my eyesight is bad, so I’ll have to check for clothing optional people in my videos 😂

Beautiful spot. We stopped at a well-known restaurant there Le String Beach as our base of operations. Got a chair and umbrella for $10. Got a free non-alcoholic drink as well; not sure why mine was free, but it was “Free Punch”  Not crowded at all which I appreciated.

Had a food massage for $20.  There were some vendors on the beach but they weren’t too bad.  The lady who did mine was originally from Jamaica; she said that tourism on the island had not recovered from the pandemic fully. Also, a bad hurricane hit the island in 2017, and destroyed a big resort right by Orient Beach, plus did lots of damage to all the beach area.

Beach was BEAUTIFUL. Very rudimentary sand road to get to it; its in the middle of nowhere near salt flats. A bit marred by giant clumps of that sargassum seaweed that was all over the beach, and has become common in the Atlantic, 

Then we drove back; got back to ship around 2:45.  Got a quick bite in the Windjammer (about to close and only a few stations still open,.I got some Indian food) so very UNCROWDED which you know made me happy.

Also did a “walkie” of Deck 15 from one end to the other. Found a couple chairs and that bar at the back near the giant slide beginning that I think is PERFECT for sail aways,

Got a Lime and Coconut NA drink from the Lime and Coconut, and I’m enjoying that back in my room after a quick shower.  going to work on a video next then Giovanni’s tonight!  Photos to follow in next post.

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

040D60E1-152E-466D-ACC2-9963798B668C.jpeg

Above, border between Dutch and French parts of island, below, Menus in French and English at Maigot restaurant.

F52397B8-6B8E-4DA7-A287-DD728FFBDF51.jpeg

159809CB-3026-408C-9A1A-B138D48B3435.jpeg

Johnny Cake with Salted Cod.

C0658802-90DD-44D0-B5F1-B4EC12768CE5.jpeg

Harbor view from Marigot

65A146C0-4235-4841-B3F8-4BC2C4608697.jpeg

You’ve been warned!

C6EB2EAD-E57D-410F-9D36-E175676F84FF.jpeg

Orient Beach

D7F0E146-1E9E-44EF-A00F-47B64B13204E.jpeg

Orient Beach

A385682E-E7A7-4732-B1E1-DCF4F32382DF.jpeg

Orient Beach

128FC1D3-D53D-43F9-A7DB-863AEBF44D56.jpeg

Free Punch

53559079-321B-4A2B-B282-EF48C3C881FE.jpeg

Orient Beach

59735F29-B4B5-465E-94DC-C61C9800550D.jpeg

Nell our tour guide

5B322C86-841F-42AA-8C51-94BA6F0B9EF8.jpeg

Me at port!

8FD0EBF8-205E-4CEF-9A06-11C5AD327EE7.jpeg

The entry to the Ultimate Abyss Slide

D937C9F8-A667-4679-8391-0FC17CDDAAF1.jpeg

Back of Wonder near the slide

9855878A-BC1D-48DF-9498-F680317C2285.jpeg

Signature drinks at the Lime and Coconut Poolside Bar, Wonder

81086D74-BBEA-48D6-A12E-EA6AA3D192C0.jpeg

NA Lime and Coconut drink. Very good! Free cute cup.

823F7BD0-1B16-4030-8B09-49AD3DAF1D45.jpeg

The restaurant at Marigot (not sure why out of order).

3C993A8F-52D3-4887-BE93-D075099378F1.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5