Business class not available? Disappointing Viking Air

natshala

First time on Viking….we booked a cruise for March 2024 and just received our air itinerary. I called today to upgrade to Business class.

The very pleasant Viking rep informed me that, despite the fact that Air Canada still has business class seats available on our flights, Viking isn’t offering them!

I would need to book air independently (to include loss of ground transportation.)

This came as quite a shock to us. The Viking rep apologized and said this is very unusual but Viking offers no upgrades on these particular flights (Rome to Orlando). She also indicated that Air Canada has the right to assign us seats and doesn’t need to abide by our seat selections.

Has anyone experienced this? Do we have any recourse other than booking independently? We purchased the Viking post package in Rome so don’t see this as a good option.

If you book flights independently and arrive on Day 1 and depart on Day last, you can purchase Viking transfers for about $50pp, per transfer.  Transfers are included with pre and post Viking hotel extensions, again arrive on Day 1 of extension and depart on Day last.  If your independent flight arrives on cruise Day1, request the transfer to the ship on the form below. Viking will get you from the ship to the post extension hotel, and then to the airport for no fee, but again the form must be completed since you wouldn’t have Viking Air.  We requested a transfer via the form, and received email confirmation, and it is noted on a revised invoice. Call Viking Air for clarification and payment. We use Viking Air when the price is right, otherwise we book our own flights for more control. 
 https://docs.vikingcruises.com/legacy-assets/PDF/transfer_request_form_20130701.pdf

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

If you book flights independently and arrive on Day 1 and depart on Day last, you can purchase Viking transfers for about $50pp, per transfer.  Transfers are included with pre and post Viking hotel extensions, again arrive on day 1 of extension and depart on day last.  If your independent flight arrives on cruise Day1, request the transfer to the ship on the form below. Viking will get you from the ship to the post extension hotel, and then to the airport for no fee, but again the form must be completed since you wouldn’t have Viking Air.  We requested a transfer via the form, and received email confirmation, and it is noted on a revised invoice.
 https://docs.vikingcruises.com/legacy-assets/PDF/transfer_request_form_20130701.pdf

Thanks for your response. 

I didn’t intend to belabor the transfer issue, which is annoying but ancillary. 

My main concern is why can’t we get Business Class seats through Viking? We were led to believe we had this choice so long as seats are available and they are.

14 minutes ago, natshala said:

My main concern is why can’t we get Business Class seats through Viking? We were led to believe we had this choice so long as seats are available and they are.

Because Viking only has so many that they contract for.  We fly business and I pretty much book all of our flights myself.  The 2 times I did not, I needed to pay extra and seats on a direct flight were not available to Viking so we wound up needing to connect.  The second time, it was part of the WC and they paid for our seats.  

TBH, I just booked flights for our Northern Lights cruise last month.  I canceled Viking’s air as I got excellent connections and seats, and saved $1500 for 2 seats…..and that’s not including adding on Air Plus and deviation charges.  This savings will more than cover private transport in Bergen and London, and I’ve built flexibility into our schedule as we are deviating on both ends anyway.

• Like 2

We usually have to book our own air to get Business Seats, but on an upcoming trip in 2024, I booked about 300 days ahead and did get Business Class from Viking and my choice of flights. I don’t know if this was just good luck, or if booking that  far ahead was the reason. I was charged then and the flight (refundable) was ticketed by Delta.

1 hour ago, natshala said:

The key is: as long as seats are available  under the contract the airlines current have with Viking, and that can change constantly.  Your ability to get Biz via Viking air depends solely on how many of Biz seats the airlines want to release to Viking.  They could release 2, 4, even zero even though there are plenty to buy die t thru airlines.

when you understand this you wil know why it is often not worth it to use Viking Aor.  Don’t be penny wise pound foolish. Saving $49 transfer fees is not logical if you can do better air on your own. We always do our own

slso the Biz only applies to the overseas flight, not the USA-USA portions.  That is in coach. So paying Biz you could still have a 6 hour flight cross country in back of the plane,  not worth it.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

I

51 minutes ago, natshala said:

Thanks for your replies. I guess I bought into “special Viking contracted rates.”  The Viking rep indicated that Viking didn’t contract for ANY business seats on these flights, though. It’s not that they’re gone.

“Special Viking contracted rates” are no guarantee that Viking will have seats in your preferred flight class at a particular point in time. For greater certainty, book directly with the airline.

• Like 2

One thing, with air travel to about anywhere, running full, I sort of expect that Viking air will become even more limited.  If the planes are running over capacity it's going to be hard for Viking to get any pricing breaks, which will make it hard for Viking to even offer 'air'.  There just won't be any upside, for VIking (to make money) or the airlines (to make more money) in the 'air' sales/cost category. 

3 hours ago, natshala said:

You have missed the crucial factor.  It's not if "seats" are available.  It's if there are seats available under the contract Viking has with the airline.  Airlines do not make all seats on flights available under their bulk contracts.  There are inventory limits and when they are hit, that's the end.

The inventory you see through the airline's retail channel is NOT the same inventory that is available to the cruiseline.  And believing that they are is simply wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hockeyump said:

In the UK we just ask for business class when flights are available, around 300 days in advance. Never have a problem so one benefit of living in the UK!

You have been fortunate.  It is not a guaranteed feature, and is NOT related to being in the UK.

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Because Viking only has so many that they contract for.  We fly business and I pretty much book all of our flights myself.  The 2 times I did not, I needed to pay extra and seats on a direct flight were not available to Viking so we wound up needing to connect.  The second time, it was part of the WC and they paid for our seats.  

TBH, I just booked flights for our Northern Lights cruise last month.  I canceled Viking’s air as I got excellent connections and seats, and saved $1500 for 2 seats…..and that’s not including adding on Air Plus and deviation charges.  This savings will more than cover private transport in Bergen and London, and I’ve built flexibility into our schedule as we are deviating on both ends anyway.

on several occasions, I had luck and good fares I’d changing flights within same class on MVJ.   However, changing to business class is a different story.   I too cancelled Viking air for an upcoming Northern lights trip, as the total, with all associated fees, from Viking for same flights was 4000 more (2K Per person ) than booking exact same flight on my own.  Planning on doing Flybus transfer in Bergen (very convenient and priced well, have used it before) and adding on the the Viking transfer in Tilbury/London (found prices to be all over the board on other transfers).

I know that doesn’t address the OP’s question…. But I do think that Viking may not contract for anything but economy on most flights.   Having flown Air Canada more than I ever cared for, I have also found that their fare structure is fairly “rigid” with no accommodation room.   This may be more an issue on their side, rather than Viking….   They may be showing availability, but it may be “reserved” for their premier passengers.

To answer OP : On MVJ -- No upgrades available with my flight pairs.

Will be on Hawaii Islands Sojourn later this year.  Air was included ("free") with fare offer.  R/T PHL/LAX. Initial flights by V on AA were both non-stops, good timing, liked them.

Then about 2 weeks ago, while on a different cruiseline, noticed on AA app, outbound flight was changed, to DL thru MSP.  Also inbound was changed from 12 noon to 3:45 pm.  Not happy, but, hey the flights were "free".  (V sent email --via TA-- about air changes about 2 days later, as change was made on a Saturday).  I think my TA forwards V email to me immediately -- unless on a weekend. 

Looked up AA outbound flight for date -- no longer listed -- but another AA flight with better timing was listed.  But, most likely not on V contract.

Cannot figure out why V changed AA inbound flight -- when original air itin. received (12 noon) -- to an AA flight 3 hrs. 45 min. later.  

Looked up flight pairs for dates on AA -- price is double than what it was when original air itin. received. (I checked at that time).

As @FlyerTalker has said -- V air contracts can and do change.  I do not want to forgo V "free" air -- and pay more than $800 pp for my own air.

MVJ -- change flights -- does show original inbound AA at 12 noon, but it is paired with an outbound 1 stop --no non-stops-- for between $350 and $900 depending on airline, timing, etc.  Does not make much sense to me.  TA told me, pay air plus if not happy.  I am assuming if preferred flight pair is not on MVJ -- change flights -- then would be money not well spent.  @FlyerTalker please shed some light on my assumption, if you are able.  Thank you.  Flights not ticketed yet.

Just noticed the following on booking page re: V air.  See 1st point about no penalty changes or CXL.  Is this a new V policy ?  On a prior V cruise, wanted to change flights after ticketed, V said $350 pp fee.

From site:

My Viking Air

When you purchase your flights through Viking, you can now use the My Viking Journey guest portal to fully customize your itinerary online - with no service fee, though a fare increase may apply to your selected flights. Once you are within 120 days prior to departure - you can search for new flight options, add a stopover, change your seats or update your frequent flier information. With 24/7 access to your account, you can make adjustments whenever it's convenient for you.

Exclusive Viking pricing, transparent booking process and flexibility to make changes or cancel later without penalty

Recommended flights that are compatible with your cruise itinerary, allowing plenty of time for embarkation and disembarkation

Ability to conveniently make changes online through the My Viking Journey guest portal from a computer or mobile device, or over the phone with the Viking Air Plus service

Fast and simple upgrades to Business Class or Premium Economy, at special Viking rates

Real-time flight monitoring and Viking Air Experts available 24/7 for assistance while you are in transit

Complimentary roundtrip transfers to your ship or hotel. Complimentary transfers are provided when flight dates coordinate with your cruise itinerary; hotel transfers are provided when a hotel stay is included as part of your cruise tour itinerary or pre/post cruise extension purchased through Viking.

Next time on V, will book my own air, arrive 1-2 days earlier, and not have to pay deviation, and book own hotel, and own transfers.

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info
  • Like 1

We were supposed to cruise in 2020 and were going to use Air+, but when we rescheduled with a pre-extension in Oslo, we made our own arrangements using frequent flier miles.  I know a number of people have been happy with Viking Air, but I've seen enough negative stories that I'm inclined to stay away, even if it seems like the cost will be nontrivially higher.  I like to control my own destiny ...

• Like 1

Instead of asking them to give you business class on the Air Canada schedule that you have, why not ask them what business class they do have for your itinerary .

As others have said, Viking has contracts for airfare ; but it is not for every flight on every airline and it is not always the least expensive.  If it doesn’t work out with them , then hopefully you have a good travel agent who can help you find a good option for you or you are skilled enough to do it on your own.  Good luck and I know once on board you will enjoy Viking 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Then about 2 weeks ago, while on a different cruiseline, noticed on AA app, outbound flight was changed, to DL thru MSP.  Also inbound was changed from 12 noon to 3:45 pm.  Not happy, but, hey the flights were "free". 

Looked up AA outbound flight for date -- no longer listed -- but another AA flight with better timing was listed.  But, most likely not on V contract.

Your use of outbound and inbound is a bit confusing - also you don't discuss the actual routings, so it is impossible to actually check what may be going on.

Also, where are you looking at for these "listings"?  That's a factor.

Cannot figure out why V changed AA inbound flight -- when original air itin. received (12 noon) -- to an AA flight 3 hrs. 45 min. later.

Remember that until you are actually ticketed, you only have a "reservation", which can be changed at any time to suit the needs of the cruiseline.   There are many reasons, including balancing the needs of an entire shipload of air tickets with available inventories.  Sad to break the news but....it's not just about you and your flights.

Looked up flight pairs for dates on AA -- price is double than what it was when original air itin. received. (I checked at that time).

Makes no difference - so what.  Viking pays either their contract costs or spot market - and you have no idea what they are doing.  Looking at retail price if you aren't buying retail means nothing to the end result.

As @FlyerTalker has said -- V air contracts can and do change.  I do not want to forgo V "free" air -- and pay more than $800 pp for my own air.

You get what you paid for....or didn't pay for.  Remember that Viking "free air" promotions are their way of discounting cruises - they choose to maintain the price of the cruise and toss this incentive in to generate new bookings.  It's not really "free".

MVJ -- change flights -- does show original inbound AA at 12 noon, but it is paired with an outbound 1 stop --no non-stops-- for between $350 and $900 depending on airline, timing, etc.  Does not make much sense to me.  TA told me, pay air plus if not happy.  I am assuming if preferred flight pair is not on MVJ -- change flights -- then would be money not well spent.  @FlyerTalker please shed some light on my assumption, if you are able.  Thank you.  Flights not ticketed yet.

Can't really address what you are describing, as it isn't clear just what you a) have now and b) are considering.  Again, you get what you pay for and only you can make those kind of value judgments.

Just noticed the following on booking page re: V air.  See 1st point about no penalty changes or CXL.  Is this a new V policy ?  On a prior V cruise, wanted to change flights after ticketed, V said $350 pp fee.

From site:

My Viking Air

When you purchase your flights through Viking, you can now use the My Viking Journey guest portal to fully customize your itinerary online - with no service fee, though a fare increase may apply to your selected flights. Once you are within 120 days prior to departure - you can search for new flight options, add a stopover, change your seats or update your frequent flier information. With 24/7 access to your account, you can make adjustments whenever it's convenient for you.

Exclusive Viking pricing, transparent booking process and flexibility to make changes or cancel later without penalty

See where it talks about a fare increase.  You most likely were getting a higher price for the ticket, thus the $350 difference.

Also, I would suggest you go to the actual terms and conditions, rather than the marketing blurb on air.  And remember that what MVJ may show is completely unrelated to what is available on the retail market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

The key is: as long as seats are available  under the contract the airlines current have with Viking, and that can change constantly.  Your ability to get Biz via Viking air depends solely on how many of Biz seats the airlines want to release to Viking.  They could release 2, 4, even zero even though there are plenty to buy die t thru airlines.

when you understand this you wil know why it is often not worth it to use Viking Aor.  Don’t be penny wise pound foolish. Saving $49 transfer fees is not logical if you can do better air on your own. We always do our own

slso the Biz only applies to the overseas flight, not the USA-USA portions.  That is in coach. So paying Biz you could still have a 6 hour flight cross country in back of the plane,  not worth it.

Exactly.  Since we fly from Seattle, with the business class fare we received from Viking our routing was SEA to NYC in coach and NYC to AMS in business.  There was a direct flight from SEA to AMS I wanted, but it would have cost me $1500 pp more than Viking’s rate.  Instead, we connected through MSP to AMS, with both seats in business.  It cost us $500 pp more.  

These days, I always add business airfare to the bill and start looking for flights about 7-8 months out.  By the time I need to pay the balance, I have usually already booked on my own, and just cancel the flight part.  Viking is my Plan C.

• Like 3

@FlyerTalker

Thanks for your responses and comments.  You are always very helpful explaining all things relating to cruise air/ retail  air / consolidator air, etc. !

Outbound... home city to join cruise... PHL to LAX

Inbound...  Returning home from cruise... LAX to PHL.  Sorry for confusion.

Since my original flights pairs were on AA, I searched for flights on AA app or AA.com

10 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Exactly.  Since we fly from Seattle, with the business class fare we received from Viking our routing was SEA to NYC in coach and NYC to AMS in business.  There was a direct flight from SEA to AMS I wanted, but it would have cost me $1500 pp more than Viking’s rate.  Instead, we connected through MSP to AMS, with both seats in business.  It cost us $500 pp more.  

These days, I always add business airfare to the bill and start looking for flights about 7-8 months out.  By the time I need to pay the balance, I have usually already booked on my own, and just cancel the flight part.  Viking is my Plan C.

Michelle- as we go out of SFO, we approach things exactly like you do!  And wind up doing our own.  No back of the plane 6 hours to NYC or DC or ATL like Viking Air seems to always want to put us.

I had my wife book our seats.  It resulted in a hassle at de-embarkation trying to get from the port to the airport.  I ended up calling a Lyft myself as despite many trips to guest services they were somehow unable to arrange it.

That said, I’d rather have a ground hassle than have to fly in economy or economy plus.

The next two we have coming up we used a travel agent who gave us flexibility in booking our business class flights.  Again this means we’re not able to take advantage of their ground transport most likely.

In a major city it’s not a problem but I’m a bit worried about getting from the airport in Norway to wherever our hotel is.

1 minute ago, Codecow said:

In a major city it’s not a problem but I’m a bit worried about getting from the airport in Norway to wherever our hotel is.

Why? Norway is a modern country with 21st century infrastructure. 😎

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Codecow said:

You’re worried about Norway of all places? The country with the largest sovereign wealth fund on the planet? The country that epitomizes Scandinavian efficiency and affluence?

I don’t think you need to worry.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1