HAL Shore excursion out of Halifax; ON THE LIGHTHOUSE ROUTE: PEGGY'S COVE LIGHTHOUSE & VILLAGE who has done this tour recent?

Alphen

Hello fellow cruisers, we are looking at the HAL Shore excursion out of Halifax; ON THE LIGHTHOUSE ROUTE: PEGGY'S COVE LIGHTHOUSE & VILLAGE who has done this tour recently?

If I look at reviews on the HAL website, the most recent review is dated October 2017!!

If somebody has positive or negative feedback, this would be appreciated.

Note: I do know there is also a regular private bus option, but this is in the afternoon and time wise not as efficient to plan our day.

I found this which appears to have more recent reviews.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions/YHZ/43402.html

Going to only one town is probably better than what I experienced last summer when I took the excursion that went to Lunenburg, Mahone’s Bay, and Peggy’s Cove.  Much, much time on the bus with only 20 to 30 minutes at the first two towns and a bit longer at Peggy’s Cove.

• Thanks 1

We did Peggy's Cove tour with Carnival last Sept 2022.  For us it was a bust-pouring rain, super crowded inside the shop.  On a sunny day, it would have been ok, but there were several buses there at the same time.  Even with perfect weather, I wouldn't do it again due to crowds, unless we were the only ship that day-maybe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reagan0712 said:

I found this which appears to have more recent reviews.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions/YHZ/43402.html

Going to only one town is probably better than what I experienced last summer when I took the excursion that went to Lunenburg, Mahone’s Bay, and Peggy’s Cove.  Much, much time on the bus with only 20 to 30 minutes at the first two towns and a bit longer at Peggy’s Cove.

Thanks, but I cannot get to the US website, it directs me to the Dutch, where I cannot find the reviews.

We stopped in Halifax of a Voyage of the Vikings.  We, a group of four, had booked no excursions.  There were several taxis outside the cruise terminal who offered trips to Peggy's Cove.  I do not remember the exact price but it was extremely reasonable.  Since we had our own cab, we moved at our own pace.  It was about an hour's drive.  Our driver was an Iraqi student studying marine engineering at Dalhousie University. He was an excellent local guide.   He suggested a stop at the cemetery for the Titanic victims.  We were in Peggys Cove for about two hours, and dropped outside the Maritime Museum in Halifax.  We had time to walk back to the ship along the waterfront boardwalk with a stop for some fresh oysters and mussels at a harbor side cafe. We had great weather.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 5:02 AM, Alphen said:

Hello fellow cruisers, we are looking at the HAL Shore excursion out of Halifax; ON THE LIGHTHOUSE ROUTE: PEGGY'S COVE LIGHTHOUSE & VILLAGE who has done this tour recently?

If I look at reviews on the HAL website, the most recent review is dated October 2017!!

If somebody has positive or negative feedback, this would be appreciated.

Note: I do know there is also a regular private bus option, but this is in the afternoon and time wise not as efficient to plan our day.

Hey @Alphen we have done Peggy's Cove and Halifax through the ship, but don't know exactly which tour vs the one you're looking at as it was a couple years ago.

Last week; however, we did a private tour that was outstanding. Barry O'Keefe and his partner Jim do tours that they will customize for you in time of day & length of tour. I have reached him through: 902.880.6382 and barryokeefe55 at gmail dot com. Either him or Jim are an excellent choice, IMO. Price was definitely better than the ship cost; his communication was excellent. I will use him again and consider him a sound alternative to a ship tour.

They do book quickly, so be sure to reach out to him well in advance if you're considering it.

We toured Halifax, went to Peggy's Cove & Titanic Cemetery (which I did not think I wanted to visit, but am glad I did) and as a bonus also went to the site of the Swiss Air memorial. That is a truly moving site that I don’t think is part of any ship tour.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Thanks 1

I went on Saturday on the extended Peggy's Cove HAL tour. We had 2.5 hours in Peggy's Cove, which was just right for me but might be too much for others. I sketched some while there and visited with artists in the galleries. I also had lunch in the Sou'Wester. I think the stand-alone lobster shack would have had better lobster rolls.

• Thanks 1