San Juan excursions

Spencer71

I'll be in San Juan Oct 18 on MSC Seascape with my two daughters, the youngest is 15. They only seem interested in the beach, but I figure we'll have plenty of time for that at Ocean Cay and maybe the Bahamas. Would like to let them experience El Yunque, but it's a bit of a drive, and the ship is only there from 9 am to 4 pm, so not a lot of time. Private tours seem to include sliding down waterfalls, but I'm not sure my girls are into that. Any suggestions on the best way our tour to get there? Otherwise, any recommendations for a good beach near San Juan? Or, other ideas? Someone suggested kite flying at the fort, which sounds fun. My girls aren't really interested in history so we'll not go in the fort though. I'm interested in keeping costs low.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, Spencer71 said:

I'll be in San Juan Oct 18 on MSC Seascape with my two daughters, the youngest is 15. They only seem interested in the beach, but I figure we'll have plenty of time for that at Ocean Cay and maybe the Bahamas. Would like to let them experience El Yunque, but it's a bit of a drive, and the ship is only there from 9 am to 4 pm, so not a lot of time. Private tours seem to include sliding down waterfalls, but I'm not sure my girls are into that. Any suggestions on the best way our tour to get there? Otherwise, any recommendations for a good beach near San Juan? Or, other ideas? Someone suggested kite flying at the fort, which sounds fun. My girls aren't really interested in history so we'll not go in the fort though. I'm interested in keeping costs low.

There is no such thing as a decent low cost tour in SJ.

But, consider a day of spend/save retail therapy, head for Fortaleza Street to find designer outlet stores and other shopping opportunities.  Think one’s girls may find this option attractive.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

But, consider a day of spend/save retail therapy, head for Fortaleza Street to find designer outlet stores and other shopping opportunities.  Think one’s girls may find this option attractive.

Additional 

Have a tour for an idea of what’s available 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oaf4kmvN9fnJNum47?g_st=im

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 10:57 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

It could end up being cheaper to take a tour than to let them go shopping for the day. Note where it says, "I'm interested in keeping costs low." in the first post.

Maybe do the free Old San Juan walking tour at https://www.osjfreetour.com/? The meeting point is under ten minutes from the pier, but it starts at 10am, so you'd need to get off the ship within the first half hour. The other option is just walking along the water towards the forts. There are a bunch of carts selling local food and crafts along the way. Even if you're not into history, the forts could be interesting to see.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

I ended up buying kites on Amazon before we went, we flew them at the fort for an hour or so. Gave the kites to some other kids once we were done, walked through old San Juan, and went to Escambron beach. Didn't cost me much and we had a great time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spencer71 said:

I ended up buying kites on Amazon before we went, we flew them at the fort for an hour or so. Gave the kites to some other kids once we were done, walked through old San Juan, and went to Escambron beach. Didn't cost me much and we had a great time.

Win-win with the random act of kindness :).

22 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

It could end up being cheaper to take a tour than to let them go shopping for the day. Note where it says, "I'm interested in keeping costs low." in the first post.

Maybe do the free Old San Juan walking tour at https://www.osjfreetour.com/? The meeting point is under ten minutes from the pier, but it starts at 10am, so you'd need to get off the ship within the first half hour. The other option is just walking along the water towards the forts. There are a bunch of carts selling local food and crafts along the way. Even if you're not into history, the forts could be interesting to see.

Thought “costs low” was for a tour.  
Retail therapy is a totally different exercise, therefore one’s girls would deem shopping as being outside of any tour spend peramiters.  

Best to ask the girls what they would like to do….
Designer Retail Outlets or ?.  

Anyway, one is on holiday with family and bean counting is not allowed.😉

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

PS

Retail Therapy discounts in OSJ must be considered savings of $$$s.  Therefore these $$$s savings are declared “FREE MONEY”, then the free money can be used for more therapeutic savings, as it cost one nothing, but  delivers even more savings and repeat.  As it appears one wished costs to be nothing, this aspect is successfully achieved.  Simples…..😉

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thought “costs low” was for a tour.  
Retail therapy is a totally different exercise, therefore one’s girls would deem shopping as being outside of any tour spend peramiters.  

Best to ask the girls what they would like to do….
Designer Retail Outlets or ?.  

Anyway, one is on holiday with family and bean counting is not allowed.😉

The outlet stores aren't going to be any cheaper than at home, and to honest it will probably be more since Puerto Rico sales tax is 10.5%. And then you have to fit it in your luggage for the trip back home.

In general, outlets are not a bargain anymore, anyway. But that's a different topic.

Edited by MisterBill99

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, Spencer71 said:

I will be pn the Seascape. Which port did the Seascape doc at in San Juan? Thanks