First time with P&O and Azura

room with a view

Hello, we are doing a Christmas Cruise on the Azura from Tenerife . We are not familiar with the ship ... we have have Freedom Dining .

Is there a particular dining room that is a favourite with all you P&O long time cruisers ? 

Any tips for having an excellent cruise ? ..thanks for any advice.

Not cruised since 2019, and things have changed a lot, but we did like Azura - and the sister ship Ventura.

The MDR was fine, but for a really special meal, excellent service and ambience, I'd recommend the Epicurean at a supplementary charge.

Others who've cruised more recently may disagree though - for the first time ever I've seen a few negative reports.

We cruised on Azura for the first time in Feb this year, just a week for a bit of Winter sun.

I didn’t find it the easiest of ships to navigate but I did like the ship. We ate in the Oriental for breakfast every day which was brilliant. 

We also ate in Epicurean which was fabulous, Sindu which was good and Glass House which was good. Food in MDR on an evening was good too, no complaints.

Hope you have a fabulous time

Michelle

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently cruised on Azura. They did not use the My Holiday app and you could not join a virtual queue. You had to go to the restaurant and either get a table or take a pager. We tended to go to the Meridian restaurant and had the same table for 2 most nights. The Oriental restaurant was club dining. Strongly recommend booking the speciality restaurants in advance, especially the Epicurean as it was fully booked for the whole cruise. Reservations are available 2 weeks before departure. No booking of entertainment, the theatre was full for most shows they were putting “house full” signs at both entrances. Lots of people there 30 mins beforehand. We did see some saving of seats. One night a group saved 4 seats and there was a 94 year old lady, travelling alone who asked to sit there and they refused to let her sit down. Fortunately she was able to get one seat on the end of our row but I was furious.  

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Recently cruised on Azura. They did not use the My Holiday app and you could not join a virtual queue. You had to go to the restaurant and either get a table or take a pager. We tended to go to the Meridian restaurant and had the same table for 2 most nights. The Oriental restaurant was club dining. Strongly recommend booking the speciality restaurants in advance, especially the Epicurean as it was fully booked for the whole cruise. Reservations are available 2 weeks before departure. No booking of entertainment, the theatre was full for most shows they were putting “house full” signs at both entrances. Lots of people there 30 mins beforehand. We did see some saving of seats. One night a group saved 4 seats and there was a 94 year old lady, travelling alone who asked to sit there and they refused to let her sit down. Fortunately she was able to get one seat on the end of our row but I was furious.  

Nice old fashioned cruising then with proper physical queues and theatres that you can still get turned away from if you don't arrive early enough.

People saving seats etc etc. 

Exactly how I remember it from the past.

Just shows the traditional "good old days' of cruising are still available on P and O on some ships for those that prefer it like this.

I'm so happy to have moved on from those days myself with the virtual queues and pre-booking theatre on Arvia and Iona

But it's all personal choice of course

Makes me think I'm unlikely to go back to the smaller ships if that's how they are operating again ongoing

I'm seriously hoping Iona and Arvia keep using the app and don't revert to this

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Our cruise before that was on Arvia and our next 2 are on Iona. Azura is the smallest P&O ship we have sailed. Prefer the bigger ships for the choice of dining and entertainment but I think it’s great that all choices are catered for. Those who love the small ship ambiance and us who love the big ship buzz can have the choice. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Our cruise before that was on Arvia and our next 2 are on Iona. Azura is the smallest P&O ship we have sailed. Prefer the bigger ships for the choice of dining and entertainment but I think it’s great that all choices are catered for. Those who love the small ship ambiance and us who love the big ship buzz can have the choice. 

I never even felt I was on a small ship on azura or Britannia though tbh

Likewise on Arvia and Iona I don't feel I'm on a bigger ship

Personally

As there's only one  place you can be at a time anyway

What I do like is all the extra places I can try on the bigger ships. Yet when I'm in those places I then don't think of everything else going on around me

The 2 most intimate venues I've enjoyed on a cruise ship have been 710 club on Arvia and  Iona and the swim up bar on Arvia. Great ambiance in both. Look forward so much to enjoying those again.

When I'm in those places it doesn't really matter to me what else is happening on board or how many people are on board or how many decks we have etc etc.

When in the cabin you have no idea how big the ship is. One corridor is the same as the next etc. One standard cabin pretty much the same as the next. Bigger TVs on the bigger ships. 

In a restaurant or bar or MDR - again to me at that time it's irrelevant whats happening elsewhere on the ship. It's just another bar or restaurant. The fact there are lots more bars and restaurants on the bigger ships doesn't change my experience in the one I'm in at the time

Hope that makes sense?

The one place I don't like on Iona and Arvia is the atrium as that does feel big and unpleasant to me

But then again we would never sit in the atrium on the smaller ships anyway

For us it's just somewhere to walk through

The theatres are theatres. The Cinema a cinema etc.

A lot of similarities

Ive never had to arrive early on a big ship to get a seat in the theatre.

Should add when outside the ship of course you then appreciate the size of the ship

Also walking between venues and up and down stairs (we try to not use the lifts) again you appreciate its a big ship

Once at the venues though to me there no real difference in experience other than more venues to try

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Nice old fashioned cruising then with proper physical queues and theatres that you can still get turned away from if you don't arrive early enough.

People saving seats etc etc. 

Exactly how I remember it from the past.

Just shows the traditional "good old days' of cruising are still available on P and O on some ships for those that prefer it like this.

I'm so happy to have moved on from those days myself with the virtual queues and pre-booking theatre on Arvia and Iona

But it's all personal choice of course

Makes me think I'm unlikely to go back to the smaller ships if that's how they are operating again ongoing

I'm seriously hoping Iona and Arvia keep using the app and don't revert to this

I would be quite happy for the MDR virtual queuing to continue,  but only if they stop operating a 2 or 3 tier system with non booking lanes and pagers. AND  no pre booking of tables other than for large family groups in excess of 8 people.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would be quite happy for the MDR virtual queuing to continue,  but only if they stop operating a 2 or 3 tier system with non booking lanes and pagers. AND  no pre booking of tables other than for large family groups in excess of 8 people.

Really important to me is being able to pre book and secure theatre bookings

I would rather be in a virtual queue than a physical one.

Imagine standing for a long time inching forward rather than waiting in your comfortable location ( cabin , open deck , bar  or lounge) which one would I choose. Virtual no brainier. 🙂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, solentsam said:

I would rather be in a virtual queue than a physical one.

Imagine standing for a long time inching forward rather than waiting in your comfortable location ( cabin , open deck , bar  or lounge) which one would I choose. Virtual no brainier. 🙂

Yep you would think so. But some people appear to not like it out of principle or habit I think. 

A few have had bad experiences with it. I've been lucky on 3 cruises now and it's always worked a dream for me 

Most common issue Ive faced Is the virtual queue moving too quickly for us to be ready to go

I have noticed comments from guests who don't like having to virtual queue but will however very happily queue to get a pager and then go away and wait to be called that way.

Which is effectively just an outdated way to virtual queue IMO and has to happen with a visit to the venue first to get a pager rather than be something you can organise from your cabin or choice of bar etc

But clearly it's something they've got used to

I'm sure given a few years the cruises that persevere with virtual queuing will ensure everybody eventually gets used to it and appreciate it like many of us already do

I also agree with Terrier John. Allowing people to physically queue as well makes no sense really but I sympathise with the cruise lines having to compromise at times to keep some guests happy and within their comfort zones

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Which is effectively just an outdated way to virtual queue IMO and has to happen with a visit to the venue first to get a pager rather than be something you can organise from your cabin or choice of bar etc

Yes my thoughts exactly

Virtual queuing is the best thing ever to happen for us. We both have mobility problems and while standing in line is an ordeal for me, it’s an impossibility for hubbie. We get past the queue moving too quickly scenario by getting settled into the nearest bar to the restaurant we are eating in that night and then join the queue. Worked a dream on the Arvia. Just hope it works as well on Iona. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Virtual queuing is the best thing ever to happen for us. We both have mobility problems and while standing in line is an ordeal for me, it’s an impossibility for hubbie. We get past the queue moving too quickly scenario by getting settled into the nearest bar to the restaurant we are eating in that night and then join the queue. Worked a dream on the Arvia. Just hope it works as well on Iona. 

I get past it by cancelling my place in the queue and starting again!

When needed!!

There's an art to it all of course but once people get used to it then it's actually fun IMO

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

How do you get on with theatre on the cruises?

Do you need accessible seats in there or can you use the app to secure standard seats?

Assuming you use the theatre. 

I realise pre-booking doesn't help the guests who need the limited amount of accessible seating

We did not need a wheelchair on Arvia so just booked like everyone else. On Azura I folded the wheelchair and put it to one side and we used one wheelchair user seat and one next to it. There was never anyone in the theatre to help so just got on with it. Not sure how it will work on Iona. 

39 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Yep you would think so. But some people appear to not like it out of principle or habit I think. 

A few have had bad experiences with it. I've been lucky on 3 cruises now and it's always worked a dream for me 

Most common issue Ive faced Is the virtual queue moving too quickly for us to be ready to go

I have noticed comments from guests who don't like having to virtual queue but will however very happily queue to get a pager and then go away and wait to be called that way.

But clearly it's something they've got used to

I'm sure given a few years the cruises that persevere with virtual queuing will ensure everybody eventually gets used to it and appreciate it like many of us already do

I also agree with Terrier John. Allowing people to physically queue as well makes no sense really but I sympathise with the cruise lines having to compromise at times to keep some guests happy and within their comfort zones

But when giving in to one passengers comfort zone results in passengers, who are following the new system correctly,  having their comfort zone compromised, is not the way to getting any new system accepted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandancer said:

We did not need a wheelchair on Arvia so just booked like everyone else. On Azura I folded the wheelchair and put it to one side and we used one wheelchair user seat and one next to it. There was never anyone in the theatre to help so just got on with it. Not sure how it will work on Iona. 

You can pre-book Iona to gain guaranteed entry to the theatre at any time. But talking to guests on here that need to sit in the disabled areas they tend to have to arrive early as its first come first served for those seats and obviously limited

The entertainment booking is available on the three largest ships, Britannia is included - from my cruise planner in the entertainment section.

You’ll be able to view the bookable events if sailing on Arvia, Britannia or Iona via My P&O Cruises before your holiday, or you can book once you’re on board via My Holiday for these ships.

Some events can be booked by turning up on the day and this will be managed on board. Please refer to your daily Horizon paper when you get on board for the booking details of each event.

• Like 1