UNUSED PURCHASED OBC

victory2020

Just now, victory2020 said:

Because I get statement credit on my credit card.

Right.  I did the same thing for my cruise that leaves on Sunday. Normally I would never purchase OBC.  But in this case, we get $200 back if we spend $1000.  And I’m all paid up on my next two cruises.  Couldn’t figure out how else to spend it.  🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

hello. just talked to ncl and was told any unused purchased obc will not be refunded. Can't really believe that. Anyone know different?

Actually, you will not be allowed to disembark with a positive balance on your account. You will be stopped on the gangway and directed to the very slow cashier. They are slow because most people are being stopped because they have not paid their bill. And all will be standing there arguing. 

Either on the last night or very early on disembarkation day, you need to go to Guest services and get a cash refund.

Good way to rack up points on your credit card. 🙂

• Like 1

A few years ago, we bought OBC partly because of a favorable exchange rate on the Can dollar. Rather than register a cc, we used the OBC as a deposit against any charges.  When we went to Guest Services the last night to claim the remainder, they insisted they couldn't give it to us and a cheque would be mailed to us.  The only way they would have given cash back was if we had of deposited cash (rather than OBC) into our account at the beginning of the cruise.  My cheque eventually showed up 6 weeks later.  DH's required a phone call before it was mailed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, there's a surprise.  Why don't you put a credit card on file?

no need for me to tie up $300 in credit for the length of the cruise plus however long it takes to clear.  I used to put $10 cash on my account at the beginning of the cruise and get it back at the end.  Then I started buying a little OBC before the cruise and get it back at the end.  Now that I get the shareholder OBC, I don't bother putting anything extra on my account.  the only reason I put anything on the account is because you have to have a positive balance (could be as little as $1) to even charge/process the free drinks.  If I ever did decide to charge something to my account, I can just go to the desk and add the cash for it, or even add a CC at the point if I wanted to, but I generally don't have any onboard charges, except now for the charges I'll drum up to spend the $100 shareholder OBC.  I did stumble on a way of even getting that OBC cashed on the last night