First HAL Cruise, Not Impressed

Abe3689

On 10/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, Copper10-8 said:

, his being AWOL will be reported to both the port agent and, more importantly, to CBP who will initiate a follow-up investigation until he presents himself to them.  

Does this mean a federal arrest warrant would be issued, and if so, what kind of trouble might he be in?

I am interested because a couple of years ago, I was on a 14-day back-to-back, Boston-Quebec City-Boston. I got word a few days ahead of disembarkation that my elderly mother's health had taken a turn. I thought I might get off one day early in Portland, Maine, where one of my sons would pick me up.

When I asked at the desk about arrangements, I was told I could not do it. From discussion here, I assume I could have. I assume this was a knee-jerk, dismissive no.

As it turned out, we soon got word that the immediate crisis had passed and I was OK with continuing to Boston. But Mom's condition was such that she moved into a care facility a month later. She just turned 95 earlier this month and seems to be going strong.

Thanks, Rich, for all the great info over the years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr.Dobro said:

I am interested because a couple of years ago, I was on a 14-day back-to-back, Boston-Quebec City-Boston. I got word a few days ahead of disembarkation that my elderly mother's health had taken a turn. I thought I might get off one day early in Portland, Maine, where one of my sons would pick me up.

When I asked at the desk about arrangements, I was told I could not do it. From discussion here, I assume I could have. I assume this was a knee-jerk, dismissive no.

I do not believe your reasoning is correct. You started in a US port (Boston), went to a near foreign port (any of the Canadian ports), and wanted to disembark in a different US port from the one in which you started (Portland). 
That would have required that you visit a distant foreign port, which a New England/Canada itinerary does not offer. Returning to Boston changed you to a round trip from/to the same US port, which requires only a near foreign port. 

This was not a 'knee-jerk' decision. 

• Thanks 2

@Dr.Dobro, @RuthC is correct. This was documented on this thread, and other places, where a person boarded in Whittier and disembarked in Juneau this summer, instead of continuing to the destination port of Vancouver. No, a warrant was not issued. Rather the ship passed the fine on to the passenger, charging it to the credit card on file.

• Thanks 3

Not sure why some folks want to get into drama!  So let's understand that the Passenger Vessels Services Act (PVSA) does include rules that govern cruises between US Ports (or cruises that do not involve a "distant foreign port").  But a violation of that act simply involves the imposition of a Federal fine....not an arrest warrant.  Cruise lines generally follow the rules are do not allow folks to book cruises that would violate the PVSA.  In an emergency or extraordinary circumstances, violations do occur and a fine may be assessed.  

The PVSA rules are a bit complicated (some of us think they make no reasonable sense).  But the rules are the rules and PVSA is something that both cruise lines (and their passengers) must tolerate.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 6:00 PM, dockman said:

with respect an experienced gambler would likely take time to find out what odds are offered onboard before getting on a cruise with odds not to his liking....that info is easily found with a basic search.  Would you sit down at a Vegas table without knowing the odds? 

I apologize for the long response time here,  but I couldn't think of an answer that made sense fast.

We only do the slot tourneys, maybe the 21 tourney, but I am don't mind playing the Video Poker Games one or two times on board because,  as you point out,  the odds need to be known.  Hence my original question to invite Gamblers to share their point on who know what,   just for ships and giggles.

I have really "pass the shoe" but to answer another point I wouldn't sit down unless I asked the Dealer to explain it to me.  And that is exactly what happened to both of us withing a 5 minute time window and we just cashed in,  left and never looked back.

You truly have to be "Up all night go get Lucky", which (for those who do not know it (or who do not cruise)) is a song that was being played on board last time we were cruising the Mains.

The other thing is that I take in is the Karma of the scene,  and if it does not feel right  or the dealer fat finger fumbles the deck when you sit down.   The you pack it up and don't move to another table, you walk away.

You Have to Know When to Hold Them,  and You Have to Know when to Fold them.   And you don't have to look or act like Kenny Rogers.  And sometimes you have to just Fold you Napkin over that daily beef and let the Chefs who are doing their best to work with what they are given.

Blame it on the Tenderizer machine and its maintenance schedule.  

That is both my take on the Gambling on Board and the Daily Beef.

p.s.  We  hope things are getting better now for everybody of you over there.