Upgrades

silversurf

Not personally,  but on my forthcoming november cruise, there were 14  deluxe cabins still for sale and 12 suites , suddenly last week 26 deluxe now for sale and no suites. Indicating a lot of lucky people had been moved from deluxe to suite. 

No change to 135 standard cabins for sale, but expect some will be upgraded once people have accepted upgrades to suites, most probably the most regular cruisers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silversurf said:

Has anyone received an upgrade on a Saga cruise?

Yes.

Usually it is because either the price dropped after you booked (being the price of an identical package) or because they have started selling cabin guarantees, so are shuffling people up to free off the cheap cabins.

When it happened to us (3 times, once on PearlI, twice on Sapphire) it was by way of a 'phone call to ask if we wanted the upgrade.

The next cruise is booked as a guarantee cabin, we booked lowest grade and as the guarantee prices dropped after we booked have been given a higher grade (in this case, still a standard cabin, just a higher deck) but just a letter telling us we have been upgraded - as it was on a guarantee basis, refusing the upgrade would have been treated as a cancellation.

Oh - forgot. We got an upgrade on the Ruby as well, that was a fly-cruise (we joined the last section of the round Africa cruise), and we found out about the upgrade on check-in.

Our cases were still labelled for the old cabin, which was not too far away so we retrieved them some time later.

As it was explained to us in one case, when it is because of "shuffling", they start with the people who booked earliest.

• Like 2

We got an upgrade on the Christmas and New year cruise last year, it was our golden anniversary and we were asked if we would like to move into a suite.  It was such a treat and we were very grateful,  so impressed with Saga.

• Like 2

On my forthcoming Carribean cruise number of cabins available in last two weeks

Went from

134 standard Cabins

14 deluxe

12  midship suites 

For sale ,  to

148 standard 

5 deluxe

No midship suites

For sale

Looks to me as if people have  been upgraded 14 from std to deluxe,  12 from deluxe to suite.  The drop of 12 in total number available,  most probably due to guarantee being allocated cabins.

So all in all on this cruise 26 couples got lucky. Upgrades do occur, of course this needs a relatively empty ship. I estimate on this cruise only 647 passengers, c.f. 987 when full.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are on the Madeira and Canaries Cruise on SoD, departing 7 December 2023. We have been upgraded from an I Cabin (Standard Twin), chosen by ourselves at fore end of Deck C, to a C Class (Deluxe Twin), mid ship on Deck C, but by lifts. Is this a good upgrade, or will it be noisy? Only our second ever Cruise, but I have read that Upgrades are not always better than the original choice.  Any comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks everyone!

16 minutes ago, TGV59 said:

We are on the Madeira and Canaries Cruise on SoD, departing 7 December 2023. We have been upgraded from an I Cabin (Standard Twin), chosen by ourselves at fore end of Deck C, to a C Class (Deluxe Twin), mid ship on Deck C, but by lifts. Is this a good upgrade, or will it be noisy? Only our second ever Cruise, but I have read that Upgrades are not always better than the original choice.  Any comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks everyone!

You will not have any problem by the lifts, that is a good upgrade.

Moved to a good position midships, deluxes, and the lifts are in a lobby so not actually by the cabins. We have been close to the lifts and heard nothing at all - sound insulation on SoD is very good.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

You will not have any problem by the lifts, that is a good upgrade.

Moved to a good position midships, deluxes, and the lifts are in a lobby so not actually by the cabins. We have been close to the lifts and heard nothing at all - sound insulation on SoD is very good.

Have a great cruise.

That's very kind of you to reply. Thanks a lot. I appreciate your comments and will look forward to it even more now! 😊 

On 10/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, Windsurfboy said:

On my forthcoming Carribean cruise number of cabins available in last two weeks

Went from

134 standard Cabins

14 deluxe

12  midship suites 

For sale ,  to

148 standard 

5 deluxe

No midship suites

For sale

Looks to me as if people have  been upgraded 14 from std to deluxe,  12 from deluxe to suite.  The drop of 12 in total number available,  most probably due to guarantee being allocated cabins.

So all in all on this cruise 26 couples got lucky. Upgrades do occur, of course this needs a relatively empty ship. I estimate on this cruise only 647 passengers, c.f. 987 when full.

Edited by JoJo1947
Wrong post

2 hours ago, TGV59 said:

Sounds like they have been very good to us!

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated 😊 

You bet they have. Bigger cabin and balcony with a walk in wardrobe. Mid ship great for this time of year. Saga probably doing the upgrade as they want standard cabins for the guarantee fares