Have early traditional dining and arrive late - go to MTD line?

So, I'm watching a Royal Caribbean Blog video.   He says that if you miss your dining time that they'll close the doors after say 15 minutes, but you can get in the MTD line and they'll seat you there.   I always thought that they forced a switch to MTD from then on if you did that.  What has everyone's experience been?   

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So, I'm watching a Royal Caribbean Blog video.   He says that if you miss your dining time that they'll close the doors after say 15 minutes, but you can get in the MTD line and they'll seat you there.   I always thought that they forced a switch to MTD from then on if you did that.  What has everyone's experience been?   

Now its in the same area, recycling the same tables I don’t suppose it makes much difference to slot you in late but unless you had a late excursion not sure why you would be so late?

Much better when MTD had its own dedicated and ever increasing section with dedicated and efficient servers. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, HappyTexan44 said:

His example was on a sea day, so I assume that means late excursion.  I just like to be prepared.  

Presume you mean NOT late excursion?

That just sounds rude. If you want to be late you shouldn’t do set dining but i haven’t read the blog so don’t know the circumstances. If everyone is late it holds up the tables in set dining.

• Like 1

OP....That video does not mention what you stated. I have never heard of this and that particular blog I belong to. The owner of that blog always says if you will be more than 15min late and you have traditional dinning, then you need to go to WJ. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ampurp85 said:

OP....That video does not mention what you stated. I have never heard of this and that particular blog I belong to. The owner of that blog always says if you will be more than 15min late and you have traditional dinning, then you need to go to WJ. 

It absolutely says to get in the MTD line if you are late.  I am listening to it now.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It absolutely says to get in the MTD line if you are late.  I am listening to it now.

That is only if you are in port for first seating. OP didn't specify port days and first seating. Since MTD doesn't open until 6:45 it might be possible to seat them on this one special instance. 

1 minute ago, ampurp85 said:

That is only if you are in port for first seating. OP didn't specify port days and first seating. Since MTD doesn't open until 6:45 it might be possible to seat them on this one special instance. 

Watch the video starting just after 6 minutes.  That section is what the OP is referring to and he does mention first seating.  OP is a first time cruiser trying to figure things out.  That Blog is not always right.

As far as MTD, you can make reservations starting at 6:45 but many people have said they have just shown up without reservations, way before 6:45 and have been seated because MTD is not on its own level as the blog states, it is in the first seating dining room and will fill people into tables that are no shows for first seating.

It starts at 6:30.   His example was a port day and early dining.  

I was a little surprised by what he said.  Maybe he can do stuff that other people aren't allowed to do because they recognize him, and he doesn't realize that normal people aren't allowed.  

BTW, I'm not planning on being late I just like to have Plans A, B and C in place.   Note, we should have own table for 8.   So no one would be waiting on us if the sky fell and we were late.  
Yes, I am preparing for our starter cruise and I'm about a 9.2 on the anal scale for vacation planning.  

Edited by HappyTexan44
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I was a little surprised by what he said.  Maybe he can do stuff that other people aren't allowed to do because they recognize him, and he doesn't realize that normal people aren't allowed.  

BTW, I'm not planning on being late I just like to have Plans A, B and C in place.   Note, we should have own table for 8.   So no one would be waiting on us if the sky fell and we were late.  
Yes, I am preparing for our starter cruise and I'm about a 9.2 on the anal scale for vacation planning.  

Nothing wrong with trying to be prepared, just don't take everything he says as gospel.  Things change constantly and that video is five months old.  Things are different ship to ship and sailing to sailing too, so sometimes, you need to go with the flow. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

47 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

His example was on a sea day, so I assume that means late excursion.  I just like to be prepared.  

Your post is confusing - you said on a SEA day.  There are some notable excursions at certain ports which are late - ship excursions requiring considerable travel and provisions have been made.  It is not something that should happen with routine, everyday excursions and not something that requires being prepared for, or pre-planning. Rushing to dinner after a day in port is exactly why we would never do traditional dining but if that is what you choose, and many do, you have to plan your schedule accordingly.

IF you miss your dining - you can try MTD, go to the WJ  or specialty. Things happen and you have to be prepared to go with the flow. You are on vacation and can’t micro-manage every moment, especially if trying to coordinate 8 people - one might be ill, get caught up in an activity or just simply be disorganized. 

Whilst being late to a shared table is certainly more inconsiderate even a whole late table can upset the balance in the traditional dining where they are trying to serve courses on a table rotation.

I had 6:45 MTD on Harmony deck 3  last month for a two top .

We would show up shortly after 6 pm and the gate keeper would ask us if we would like to be seated.

He would then contact the other dining rooms to see if there was space due to no shows for early traditional dining.

We would get a table every night right away on one of the other floors.

If you dont mind different waiters ( and we dont ) you can work something out with the door man.

• Like 2

Having now listened to the blog he actually says if you have 5.30 dining but don’t get into port until 6 o’clock you can go to MTD. I think he is talking about excursions that run  late, as I mentioned above, in ports which have late departures.

Sometimes these are scheduled and expected to be late, sometimes the excursion is delayed unexpectedly and returns late (hopefully a ship excursion depending on how late). In the case of an planned late return it is courteous to advise the head waiter the day before and ask for options.

Edited by c-leg5

We had a very unique sailaway on Jewel that conflicted with our early dining time. We asked ahead of time if it would be okay if we did MTD for one night and was told it was fine. We showed up around 7pm and waited briefly in the no reservation line. 

• Like 3

They don't close the doors. On recent cruise, a two top did not show up for dinner so another couple was seated there.  Then the couple showed up.  They were seated at another table.  If you are late and your table has been given to someone else, they'll seat you elsewhere.  This couple resumed sitting at their table for the rest of the cruise.  They did not have to go to MTD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, but I thought you were EITHER in traditional dining OR My Time Dining, and 'ner the two shall meet.  Even now that they share the same space.  

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Note, we should have own table for 8.   

This doesn't really play into the question.  If your waiter is 15 minutes late serving your appetizers, then 15 minutes late serving your entree, then 15 minutes late serving your dessert ... the people who have your table for late dining will be delayed.  

The table next to us finished before us every night, and then the same my-time couple were seated at this table every night as we were finishing. No doubt with the faster service, they were out in time for the late seating party to have the table. The blended traditional and my time appears to work really well now. This was on a smaller ship (Jewel) so I'm not sure if that is the same on the bigger ones.

30 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

The table next to us finished before us every night, and then the same my-time couple were seated at this table every night as we were finishing. No doubt with the faster service, they were out in time for the late seating party to have the table. The blended traditional and my time appears to work really well now. This was on a smaller ship (Jewel) so I'm not sure if that is the same on the bigger ones.

It worked really well for us on a big ship too . We never sat at the same table twice and were on different  floors during the cruise. They seem to have it figured out now. 

As i stated in my previous post we just showed up early and there were no lines .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ampurp85 said:

Exactly! MTD will NOT seat you if you have traditional dining!

I'm not one to usually post on dining room items - there's so many variables.... but, I will only say this.

When cruising, I befriend my head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter.  If I know that we are going to be on a late excursion, and rushing to the dining room, I let them know, and ask them, "is it ok to be 20 minutes late?", or even up to 30?  I have found that if they know in advance that you are going to be late, they will prep our table with the menus, etc., and we pop in and quickly move along to the order.

It also helps if you've looked at the menu ahead of time, and know what you'll have.  

All of a sudden, we're all back to the normal timing - with a little advance prep.

And courtesy.  

Just saying....

• Like 4

We just returned from a cruise on EOS.  We had 6 pm dining.  We had a RCL excursion that wasn't scheduled to return to 730.  We asked out waiter about options for dinner.  He said if we could make to the dining room before 715 he would seat us and we would have a faster dinner.  But he couldn't do anything later because the table is needed at 8 pm.  We got back at 730.pm.as.expecred and ate in Windjammer.  

• Like 1