QM2 Slowing Speed Before VZ Bridge

BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I was on QE2 going around the Horn of Africa, with I think the same Captain. In his navigational address one lunch time, he noted what he termed "a local tradition of piracy on the high seas". That's still an issue around there. He continued: "But not to worry, I have a little lever in my hand here which comprehensively deals with that issue". An American on my lunch table thought he meant a cannon.,

Having just read a book about the Lusitania, I doubt Cunard would ever voluntarily add any cannon or major weapons mixed with passengers onboard. 
The Cunard World Cruise has to worry about piracy in certain areas but major armaments on a Cunard vessel? Nah

10 minutes ago, NE John said:

Having just read a book about the Lusitania, I doubt Cunard would ever voluntarily add any cannon or major weapons mixed with passengers onboard. 
The Cunard World Cruise has to worry about piracy in certain areas but major armaments on a Cunard vessel? Nah

Except when STUFT, of course. 

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

QV definitely had those round dish thingys on deck three whenever we were in pirate waters. Had some chaps  who 'looked as if they could take care of themselves and others' too.

Friends who were on coard a few years ago as the sjip sailed through pirate waters, told us of the dozen or so military looking chaps in mufti boarded at the previous stop. They were all carrying aluminium flight cases.

Cunard has a history of cooperating with the SBS, and often, allow them to carry out anti terror exercises when the ships are heading for dry docks, and empty of passengers.

Just now, NE John said:

Correct. But STUFT wouldn’t be voluntary. Original QM and QE were certainly heroic in WW2. 

And various other Cunard ships. I mainly said that to see what would happen, as I once, many years ago, had a post deleted for using the expression STUFT. Luckily, HH is less punitive. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, BigMac1953 said:

Friends who were on coard a few years ago as the sjip sailed through pirate waters, told us of the dozen or so military looking chaps in mufti boarded at the previous stop. They were all carrying aluminium flight cases.

I saw the same thing at the start of the 2020 World Cruise.  We were told that our protectors had brought "special equipment" with them, and shortly after they boarded, we could see shrouded thingies on tripods on the outside deck  (my guess is an unpleasant sound-emitting device) and hoses snaking along the overhead of the promenade deck (hot water?).  

Most reassuring of all was HMS Montrose, a British frigate which rode off our starboard side as we approached the rather narrow Strait of Hormuz.  One of her officers gave a "Maritime Security Briefing" in Illuminations.IMG_4053.JPG.8a6df5b224a94735b398f3ca75927edf.JPG

Edited by rsquare
  • Like 3

On 10/18/2023 at 9:15 AM, NE John said:

Even when deployed as a troopship in the Falklands War, the QE2 only had machine guns and shoulder fired SAM missiles.

• Thanks 1