QM2 Slowing Speed Before VZ Bridge

BklynBoy8

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

9 PM is a late departure. Is that the schedule?

She is suppose to TA after the Canadian New England cruise which was 14 days

Edited by BklynBoy8

The word on social media is that QM2 suffered a loss of shoreside power this afternoon while docked at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. That power loss apparently caused problems with some internal systems which need to be sorted out before she can continue on to Southampton. She left the cruise terminal and is now at an anchorage to sort out those issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

The word on social media is that QM2 suffered a loss of shoreside power this afternoon while docked at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. That power loss apparently caused problems with some internal systems which need to be sorted out before she can continue on to Southampton. She left the cruise terminal and is now at an anchorage to sort out those issues.

Thank You....

I can see her from our home.....

• Like 1

Anchored above the VZ Bridge off of Stapleton Staten Island.

From Social Media, possible computer problem.

All ok on board from posted passenger.

Hoping for problem to be resolved tonight, over night or tomorrow.

Some services may be affected on board.

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Currently on board QM2 - still anchored next to VN - waiting for an update from Captain Hashmi ! 

Sorry this is happening on your sailing. Wish you had better weather to use the outside. We have rain all day predicted till tomorrow morning. 

Please enjoy all the activities inside on the Daily Program.....

Praying for GOOD NEWS!

• Like 1

All good we are under way since before 10 am. Internet not online until the afternoon! We sail at a speed  of 25 kn. Currently and will speed up even more - so we will make it to Soto in time! All in good moods- there was the fear that we had to disembark in NY but fortunately that was not the case! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That's incredible and the sign of a TRUE ocean liner.

I was curious so did a google search on Maximum Speed of QM2

Queen Mary 2 is a very fast ship with a cruising service speed of 28.5 knots. The ship could complete a 5 day transatlantic crossing, but in reality most crossings are 7 days.

When you compare that to most cruise ships 22-23 Knots it is truly remarkable and impressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

WOW, that's right at 29MPH. That's moving! Would love to know what you top out at.

Jack

When late for a date the QE2 used to get her speed up to 33-35 knots. Shecould do close to 30 konts in reverse. Could and would run circles around the Vic on occasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Queen Mary 2 is a very fast ship with a cruising service speed of 28.5 knots.

I believe the cursing speed is around 26 knots and flank speed is close to 30 knots. This was told to me by Deputy Captain Aureliano Mazzelis on the QM2 in 2017. 

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

When late for a date the QE2 used to get her speed up to 33-35 knots. Shecould do close to 30 konts in reverse. Could and would run circles around the Vic on occasion.

I think the max reverse speed is usually given as about 20 kts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I believe the cursing speed is around 26 knots and flank speed is close to 30 knots.

There is a photo somewhere around the internet of Captain Warwick at the helm with the speed readout showing in excess of 30 knots, I forget the exact figure, taken during QM2's sea trials.

During her maiden crossing, having been held up due to the weather for a couple of days, we were told around day four that we had "touched" 30 knots during the night. Maybe that's a technical term for 29.9, but it was fast.

• Like 1